XPO | Part time dock

shamrockhockey

TB Lurker
Credits
At our terminal, a new TM has gone on a hiring blitz and replaced all outbound dock with part time dock workers. Now it has spilled to the inbound shift with no end in sight to the hiring. He claims this is a company wide initiative. I've never seen anything like this and am a bit suspicious. Has anybody else seen anything similar?

Yes, we were told that within the next 5 years, there will not be any early starts for drivers. We will all be coming in, getting loads and going on route. There will not be drivers on the dock. Company wide.

Yes, we were told that within the next 5 years, there will not be any early starts for drivers. We will all be coming in, getting loads and going on route. There will not be drivers on the dock. Company wide.

Same as Ice. Talked to TM in December we have a "linehaul" run 40 miles one way asked Tm about this he said they were still trying figure how this will work since a guy can't make a living running 80 miles. I think they will use bottom flex guys to double trn this and they will quit and will replace with more bottom feeders. Just my thought. But yes this is true it's a 3-5 year plan.

Same as Ice. Talked to TM in December we have a "linehaul" run 40 miles one way asked Tm about this he said they were still trying figure how this will work since a guy can't make a living running 80 miles. I think they will use bottom flex guys to double trn this and they will quit and will replace with more bottom feeders. Just my thought. But yes this is true it's a 3-5 year plan.
They should cover those short runs with city drivers..call it shuttle ..like everybody else does.

But if your 100 miles from an FAC, then you would not make any money if not working the dock. This is how people make a living. They don't want to work in the city, and this is what they want to do and have been doing for years. But just like all of their other plans, it probably will never happen. who knows..

They should cover those short runs with city drivers..call it shuttle ..like everybody else does.

But if your 100 miles from an FAC, then you would not make any money if not working the dock. This is how people make a living. They don't want to work in the city, and this is what they want to do and have been doing for years. But just like all of their other plans, it probably will never happen. who knows..

What is being hired are all non drivers. No CDL. Not newbies.

At my place, since last year we have had 12 drivers quit, and the have hired 1 driver to replace them, and boat loads of non cdl dock workers, I have no idea how many, as many as they can get I think.
At our terminal, a new TM has gone on a hiring blitz and replaced all outbound dock with part time dock workers. Now it has spilled to the inbound shift with no end in sight to the hiring. He claims this is a company wide initiative. I've never seen anything like this and am a bit suspicious. Has anybody else seen anything similar?

If you aren't at an FAC and there are no spotters and no drivers period , who moves the trailers if it's just p/t people?

40 miles one way thats kinda ridiculous it should be a city peddle run ??? kinda dumb if ya ask me I wouldn't do it ya loose money !!

All part-timers on our O/B dock....I guess its just a matter of time before they show up on the I/B.

The way that we are set up, you would never make money if you only made the run. What if your only 100 miles from the FAC? Where are the mile going to come from?

Just do triple turns.....then they can cut 2 more driver positions.

Lean sure is happening though...

They have been saying for years this is coming. Now it's here and everyone wants to freak out. Yeah, there is a driver shortage. Yeah, they ain't changing the revolving door policies. And yeah, they will just keep hiring more. Same old Con-way.