XPO | "Part Time" Non Company Dockworkers.....

DILLIGAF

TB Lurker
Credits
What is everyones thoughts on these part time non company dock workers in XLA, XAU, XJO and wherever else they are putting them, I have seen them in these 3 terminals already.....are they here to help or are they in our way? It doesnt see as if most of them have a clue! whats everyone elses thoughts on this issue? and how about FOS, what FAC has the worse sector FOS in your opinion? and why the hell is XLA such a cluster mess? is this the FAC, FOS or Drivers to blame for this? I am a newer driver who is on the dock most the time due to a shortage of runs!

I'd like to weigh in on this one. At our barn we started getting the temps and part timers early last summer. I checked the board this morning and we now have 8 part time workers and 6 temps. The temps all have assigned start times and starting next month will be the only ones working the inbound dock. We just finished our bids for next year and out of over 100 employees we have 8 city bids available and the rest are all call board. We were told that no DSR's will be working the inbound dock and the temps instructions are to just put the freight in the trailers and let the drivers deal with it on the street. I can tell you that is exactly what it means. If we have mulitple bills they are in multiple locations in the trailer. If we have multiple pallets on the same bill they are also in multiple locations in the trailer. Get ready because it's going to be the future at Conway.

What is everyones thoughts on these part time non company dock workers in XLA, XAU, XJO and wherever else they are putting them, I have seen them in these 3 terminals already.....are they here to help or are they in our way? It doesnt see as if most of them have a clue! whats everyone elses thoughts on this issue? and how about FOS, what FAC has the worse sector FOS in your opinion? and why the hell is XLA such a cluster mess? is this the FAC, FOS or Drivers to blame for this? I am a newer driver who is on the dock most the time due to a shortage of runs!

XLA has too much freight going in there .. what looked good on paper when they decided to build this has not been as spectacular as they hoped it would be.

...what looked good on paper when they decided to build this has not been as spectacular as they hoped it would be.

Neither has much of anything else the geniouses have come up with lately...

The only way some of our leaders can get more clueless is to get older...

Simply boils down to this one statement...

"The people who run this company have no clue as to what trucking is all about...it is an enigma as far as they are concerned. However, because of the postions they hold they will offer some pretense of understanding, largely due to their salaries. Every time they do this they further illustrate their ignorance about the profession. You don't matter...you family doesn't matter...your future doesn't matter. You are simply a figure on a spreadsheet to be manipulated at will. And when it is convenient for them to eliminate your presence on said spreadsheet...they will pull the trigger...irrespective of how you are affected."

Once you accept his genre...and come to grips with its possible ramifications for you and your familiy's future...the blue colored glasses quickly lose their luster.

Rat

I'd like to weigh in on this one. At our barn we started getting the temps and part timers early last summer. I checked the board this morning and we now have 8 part time workers and 6 temps. The temps all have assigned start times and starting next month will be the only ones working the inbound dock. We just finished our bids for next year and out of over 100 employees we have 8 city bids available and the rest are all call board. We were told that no DSR's will be working the inbound dock and the temps instructions are to just put the freight in the trailers and let the drivers deal with it on the street. I can tell you that is exactly what it means. If we have mulitple bills they are in multiple locations in the trailer. If we have multiple pallets on the same bill they are also in multiple locations in the trailer. Get ready because it's going to be the future at Conway.
so do you go to the same place multiple times

Neither has much of anything else the geniouses have come up with lately...

The only way some of our leaders can get more clueless is to get older...

Simply boils down to this one statement...

"The people who run this company have no clue as to what trucking is all about...it is an enigma as far as they are concerned. However, because of the postions they hold they will offer some pretense of understanding, largely due to their salaries. Every time they do this they further illustrate their ignorance about the profession. You don't matter...you family doesn't matter...your future doesn't matter. You are simply a figure on a spreadsheet to be manipulated at will. And when it is convenient for them to eliminate your presence on said spreadsheet...they will pull the trigger...irrespective of how you are affected."

Once you accept his genre...and come to grips with its possible ramifications for you and your familiy's future...the blue colored glasses quickly lose their luster.

Rat

No Doubt on that.

run the route the way it is loaded....we have quite a few part-timers on our dock....2 are full-time part-time. 1 or 2 are ok,but most of them spot frt. on dock waiting for full-time to load...they are a waste,causing too much damage,etc.....

I couldnt agree more with the waste statement! they do nothing but damage ::shit:: cuz they are too lazy to take care of it because they dont care. most if not all of them, dock and run on EVERYTHING they unload. they have NO respect for the drivers or the company and get in the way all night long. They act as if they run the place for the most part. Hitting people with forklifts, smashing freight, having SET work hours, of only 8 hours! Must be nice to work for another company, come into OUR company, and just not give a damn. Like Ive always said, IF YOU DONT WORK FOR CONWAY, YOU DONT BELONG WORKING AT CONWAY! get off our docks and give us our jobs back!

Oh yeah. There's no way around it. As an example one time I had a seven pallet order ( one bill ) for a customer on a long box. They had loaded four pallets on the tail, one in the middle and two in the nose. I went by in the morning and gave him the four pallets and told him I'd be back that afternoon with the rest and have him sign the D/R. Very efficient.

We start our bidding next Tuesday. The new SCM added a LOT of start times. out of 170 or so drivers, there are only 35 unassigned spots.
As far as the inbound goes, your right, they just throw that shyt on the trailer. Mostly temps on the inbound.

It depends on how hard it is to get to the other pallet(s),as well as other factors. Such as if we just got the news that our 401 benny has been suspended or if I just got yelled at because I did not see a comma missing in a bol I picked up yesterday. Or if the dipatcher gave me a sh!t truck and the 35 below me got good ones... Or, Or, If I think about the 5 weeks of vacation that I do not have in 2 weeks because they stole it.. Yes, stole it. Other factors apply as well, Depends on the situation i guess.

There are mitigating circumstances that do make simple tasks more difficult.........

There not the only problem......

The part time dock workers damage lots of freight. They do it in front of sector bosses and nothings ever said to them. I saw a part timers bulldozing 2 steel coils down the dock, about 1500 lbs. a piece. The front skid was completely destroyed when he got to the door he was going to. He passed in front of 2 sector bosses and lean six sigma people who were doing load testing of the new rack trailers, not one management person said a word to him. And of course I aint gonna say a word to him for fear he might file harrassment charges on me and get me fired. Ive seen one try to get away with that too.

You get what you pay for...and we paying for it.

This dedicated dockworker program may have been OK at its conception, but like everything else these talking heads come up with they failed to implement it correctly.

You have a bean counter in the Presidential Suite at Ann Arbor. It seems that is all he and his minions understand. They started out hiring Con-Way employees and then went to temp services simply because its cheaper.

The reason they did this was monetary. What many may not understand is our leaders have no idea what knowledge it takes to perform our job. Additionally, it is apparent they think we possess the collective knowledge of a box of Grape Nuts.

They haven't a clue as to what steps are necessary to build a trailer for L/H or fully understand the idiosyncrasies of a city peddle. They will try to tell you how it should be done...but that amounts to little more than another assinine program or rule that ineffectually solves nothing. How many posters have you seen behind the glass about this or that account and what needs to be done for the product to be loaded and secured correctly and then see the load allocations L/H comes out with on a nightly basis. The problem is staring them directly in the face but they will never admit it because that means their numbers are wrong.

"So simple a cavemen could do it"...and from what I have witnessed that is what the lion's share of these temps are...neanderthals.

They don't care about Con-Way in the slightest...and why should they? Afterall, they don't work for Con-Way...they have no rhyme nor reason to care one way or another about the future of this company, it employees, and its customers. They have no sense of ownership because they have no vested interest in the survival of Con-Way...you get what you pay for...

It ain't gonna work.

Rat

Their thoughts at GO. "They did it at CF. Con-Way Freight= CF. Must be CF. Got their management". It all smells like GARBAGE. The end is near.

XCA Has around 6 dock workers they do a good job and are a real help BUT they really need 10 more workers to really make a difference at reship... Im Just SAYING.....

The concept of the job is soooooooo simple. load the freight into trailers to go to the reship, quickly swap freight to get back to your center and deliver it. Its a real simple process that don't take a brain surgeon to figure it out. Con-Way management on the other hand ................... lobotomy anyone?