XPO | "Part Time" Non Company Dockworkers.....

The concept of the job is soooooooo simple. load the freight into trailers to go to the reship, quickly swap freight to get back to your center and deliver it. Its a real simple process that don't take a brain surgeon to figure it out. Con-Way management on the other hand ................... lobotomy anyone?

I couldnt agree more! it SHOULD be the simplest job in the world. take the pallet, look at the pro match it to the bill, run it to the door and load it. However between some of the uneducated donkeys breaking/loading freight and the wonderful management staff, it is one of the most frustrating, clusters out there! the sad part is the forklift drivers laziness and lack of ORDER are what cause most of the confusion, damage, mess, and HARD time getting around the dock! Loading and Unloading trailers is the simpliest job in the world, IF EVERYONE DOES THERE PART. and by doing there part, i dont mean, dock everything, grab your load and go. that just makes MORE work, if your not going to do it right, dont even bother doing it!

:TR10driving03:it wont be long before we are makeing less and less some of the familys of these higher up big shots should be rideing down the interstate in a snow storm with the truck drivers con-way has hired in the last few years

We have some part time dock workers. They are strictly FAC, and they do an acceptable job. Admittedly, the quality of work varies, just as it does if you were to select the same number of regular DSRs. They help on the FAC, and I've seen them damage little. They still aren't enough to help our FAC, or take some of the burden off of those poor DSRs who show up and start asking if they can leave before their truck's even cooled off. We could easily use double the number we have, and it might allow us to shut down on time and get guys out sooner.

I'm not a huge fan of CGO, and they make many, many mistakes. However, I've also learned that, no matter what, DSRs will complain about everything. Guys complain if they have to stay too long at reship; but...hire dock hands to alleviate some pressure so they can leave earlier, and they complain that they're losing work.

After reading the replies all I can really do is laugh.Im sure if you`ve been around awhile you know somebody who has climbed the latter and became part of management.They are not the same person as they were before correct.The further they climb the less they see when they look down.The part time dock workers,for every outbound driver you see on a forklift on overtime,is two part timers.Lets call it Con-way Tycoon,the damage does`nt outweigh the savings.The world we live in today is a terrible place to be for people who work hard for employers for a living such as ourselves.We see where progress can be made,and deal with it on a daily basis.The last thing they want is for us to tell them how to run there business,union.I guess all we can do is wake up in the morning and hope they didnt think of anything else they can do to cut costs that effect our standards of living.One thing Con-Way really lacks is respect for those who have made Con-Way what it is today,and for those who try hard every day.For them a Star Card is a way of thanking you,but that doesnt help feed our children.

After reading the replies all I can really do is laugh.Im sure if you`ve been around awhile you know somebody who has climbed the latter and became part of management.They are not the same person as they were before correct.The further they climb the less they see when they look down.The part time dock workers,for every outbound driver you see on a forklift on overtime,is two part timers.Lets call it Con-way Tycoon,the damage does`nt outweigh the savings.The world we live in today is a terrible place to be for people who work hard for employers for a living such as ourselves.We see where progress can be made,and deal with it on a daily basis.The last thing they want is for us to tell them how to run there business,union.I guess all we can do is wake up in the morning and hope they didnt think of anything else they can do to cut costs that effect our standards of living.One thing Con-Way really lacks is respect for those who have made Con-Way what it is today,and for those who try hard every day.For them a Star Card is a way of thanking you,but that doesnt help feed our children.

Star card doesn't go in your file now, Only bad sh@#...:nutkick:

:ranting2:i dont have a problem with con-way hireing as long as they hire profes people and not the ones that dont have a clue oh and also have the work for them and also pay them top dollar dont forget you get what you pay for no such thing as cheap

i think its one of the best ideas here so far .i run into xmi and theres about 150-180 drivers a night.before when i got there at 2-3am at my sector there would be about 10-15 breakers to get in to dock,now with about 40partimers there no backlog of breakers my tralers always go right into doors. i now get out no later than five before 6-7am everymorning with 260miles to drive home

Since we seem to be following your example at FXF, I can usually get an idea what we have to look forward. too. I can't agree more using part-timers to load the inbound with no idea on how to route the bills makes no sense at all. At our new break-bulk terminal in Devore we're loading over 100 PT's (Purchase Transportation) a day. That's a lot of work not going to the road drivers. Any chance you guys taking back the wiz kids we acquired for you all. You probably don't want them back, and I can't blame you for that. I'm one of the lucky ones, I only have a couple of years left until retirement. I couldn't handle this nonsense if I had 15 down and 15 to go. Happy Holidays to all the Conway Kids. TP

You guys almost sound like your working for a different company then i am. We have one part timer and thats to work fac freight. Us city guys work our own freight. We load it and deliver it. Most of us put in about 50hrs a week. 3 lead guys work about 60. Of course down here in the south we dont get OT till after 50hrs.

I work with a part time every night on the o/b dock loading. He does everything the way things should be done and i took the time to train him also ... He was always willing to offer his advice on how to load things but we had to change that a little .. He even recognizes that the other part timers dont do things correctly and tries to direct them but most of them I have seen really dont give a ::shit:: ...

WOW, y'all are getting the short end of the stick-that's terrible! Yet another reason NOT to work for Con-Way IF YRC goes down! ..lol Good luck to all of you hard working men and women. (I really want to cuss like the good Teamster that I am BUT, I know it will get deleated! ..lol)