Pay Cut ??

ltltrkr

TB Veteran
PREMIUM
Credits
Is it true, saw a headline on Transport Topics that Ward hourly workers to get 8.9% pay cut. Anybody out there to confirm this???

This is so stupid of any company to cut wages, cut his hours to save money but do not cut the pay. If I were told I was getting a cut in pay then I would just cut back thatmuch on my productivity.

From an WARD employee I know: 8.9% pay cut was announced at a morning meeting at his terminal one morning last week like this ( "oh yeh guys by the way your paycheck this week will reflect a 8.9% reduction due to the economy") No discussion, just this is the way it is!! Nice! At least in our union job we got a stock option for our wage reduction.
It might help, It might not. but at least it is something and we knew in advance that it was coming.

Here is the speech we heard:
Paraphrased: "
Since 2004 our overhead is up 14 percent, the cost for fuel, rent, repairs, equipment, etc. this is normal. Also, since 2004 our Cost-of-living wage increases were up 12 percent, again this is normal. Unfortunately, the money coming in to pick up and deliver our freight is hasn't covered these costs, and we have calculated that these cuts are necessary to just break even this year."
" There is a very high amount of "excess capacity" in the entire LTL Fleet. Anotherwards, there are too many empty trucks all trying to fill up with the limited amount of freight out there. We will have to adjust our rates to reflect this, the customers know they have the upper hand, and expect better rates."

Anyway..if u work at Ward as a driver, u r most unhappy. Not only did they cut our pay 8.9 percent, they started a new rate that we will be paid if our load isn't ready. We get paid 16 dollars an hour "extra dock pay" if our freight isn't in the trailer and manifested.
AND they screwed us on health insurance this year..we have to pay more than YRC, and ward just signed us up with one of the crappiest health insurance companies around.

While the big Union company may have been hurt, at least they have light ahead in the tunnel. Ward Drivers have lost 4 years of COLA and most likely will never get it back.
Our president recently was told at a meeting "Good Luck finding new drivers when the freight gets heavy, Ward will be the last place good drivers will apply to."