FedEx Freight | Pay cuts in Springfield

I am guessing OT is most likely being studied and you will see a large reduction down the road. You will see plenty of changes to come with the 20/20 program.

Sure we do, it's called company policy...and we honor seniority, nice try though. lol
Speaking of "company policy", start times can be moved at will, up to 2 hours either way. No rebid required. Gotta love that one...

The O/P seemed more concerned with the loss of time, since he/she says we are leaving freight on the street to make goal on gate-in time. Unless we are leaving freight in outlying areas, due to not being ready, it is tough to justify that. We've seen in the past, the push to have a cut off time for shippers to make service. That makes sense. Missing pickups that are scheduled and ready is another matter entirely.

Often local managers will attempt these tactics to squeeze more productivity., or to chase a specific number. The flavor of the month. When the goal is before noon deliveries, they reduce stops per driver and/or move start times earlier. When that creates an unproductive window, the hour lunch becomes an unpopular option.

Generally these types of changes are made out of frustration, and rarely produce the desired result, without an equal or greater negative effect.

Speaking of "company policy", start times can be moved at will, up to 2 hours either way. No rebid required. Gotta love that one...

The O/P seemed more concerned with the loss of time, since he/she says we are leaving freight on the street to make goal on gate-in time. Unless we are leaving freight in outlying areas, due to not being ready, it is tough to justify that. We've seen in the past, the push to have a cut off time for shippers to make service. That makes sense. Missing pickups that are scheduled and ready is another matter entirely.

Often local managers will attempt these tactics to squeeze more productivity., or to chase a specific number. The flavor of the month. When the goal is before noon deliveries, they reduce stops per driver and/or move start times earlier. When that creates an unproductive window, the hour lunch becomes an unpopular option.

Generally these types of changes are made out of frustration, and rarely produce the desired result, without an equal or greater negative effect.

Hour lunch? Never heard of that yet. :sleeping:

It used to happen quite often in CLT. They decide at will to give you an hour lunch; unpaid of course.

I know this is ancient history,but when I was working, any run, bid or extra board over 6 hrs. you were required to take a 1hr meal period.
This worked well for keeping our high speed cowboys in check, we had guys if not for this would run Char to Orlando and
never stop.

I know this is ancient history,but when I was working, any run, bid or extra board over 6 hrs. you were required to take a 1hr meal period.
This worked well for keeping our high speed cowboys in check, we had guys if not for this would run Char to Orlando and
never stop.

I used to run like a Cowboy. It wasn't anything to wake up in Nebraska and go to bed in California. An average day was 1,000 miles. I didn't pop pills like some guys. I only needed Sun Drop and black coffee to keep me going. Of course this was my pre LTL days.

Last edited:
I over heard some city drivers talking Friday about pay cuts in Springfield. So I poked my nose in a little and asked what it was about. They said the supervisors was calling all the city drivers Friday and changing all their start times from 9:00 to 9:30 and they will be losing money because they have to be back at the same time as always. They said every year the SCM backs up their start times for a numbers crunching gain. One driver said they used to start at 8:00 a while back. But what REALLY shocked me was they said their leaving freight EVERY day at customers because they don't have enough drivers in the city because numbers won't allow it. As a road driver I have a problem with this. If they're leaving freight now then that means starting later they will really be leaving freight. I'm going to do some more poking around today and see what else I can find out. Just curious what's happening at other centers? Or is this just our center?
I over heard some city drivers talking Friday about pay cuts in Springfield. So I poked my nose in a little and asked what it was about. They said the supervisors was calling all the city drivers Friday and changing all their start times from 9:00 to 9:30 and they will be losing money because they have to be back at the same time as always. They said every year the SCM backs up their start times for a numbers crunching gain. One driver said they used to start at 8:00 a while back. But what REALLY shocked me was they said their leaving freight EVERY day at customers because they don't have enough drivers in the city because numbers won't allow it. As a road driver I have a problem with this. If they're leaving freight now then that means starting later they will really be leaving freight. I'm going to do some more poking around today and see what else I can find out. Just curious what's happening at other centers? Or is this just our center?
The one thing in Springfield that is so sad. It's all about the numbers and not about the customer. Everyday there told what the stops per hour are the day before. Never told good job. When it's brought up did everything get picked up and delivered they say yes. Which you know isn't true when you have stuff brought back the day before on your trailer. It's very depressing walking into that place. Road, city, dock, you just see it in there body expressions and guys are always talking about how they hate it.

The one thing in Springfield that is so sad. It's all about the numbers and not about the customer. Everyday there told what the stops per hour are the day before. Never told good job. When it's brought up did everything get picked up and delivered they say yes. Which you know isn't true when you have stuff brought back the day before on your trailer. It's very depressing walking into that place. Road, city, dock, you just see it in there body expressions and guys are always talking about how they hate it.

What you describe in not uncommon when leadership is failing, in over their head, or just lost.
If you are not comfortable using the chain of command to voice your concern, the FedEx alert line is a viable and effective way to address the problem. The more people call, the better. All calls are documented and followed up on. A paper trail is created. Phone or online method is available. You can find the number and/or link here:
http://investors.fedex.com/governance-and-citizenship/policies/fedex-alert-line/default.aspx

"Information you provide using the FedEx Alert Line will be promptly transmitted to the appropriate parties, which may include members of senior management and persons from any or all of the following FedEx departments: legal, security, human resources and internal audit. When you contact the FedEx Alert Line, your report will be assigned a control number that will allow you to follow up to receive an update on the matter from FedEx, if any is available, or to contribute additional information.

FedEx policies prohibit any form of retaliation against a person who reports in good faith any known or suspected misconduct."

In the meantime, you could print out something like this, and put it in your CCM's inbox.
http://approachableleadership.com/10-qualities-of-a-real-leader/ :idunno:

Last edited: