FedEx Freight | Pay differential

So I’ll bite...why so “concerned about the various locations and their competitiveness (or not) vs the competition”?? What does it matter, just curious??

Concerning transfers, I don’t believe it’s as big of a deal as you make it out to be. We just had a road driver leave CLT to GSP and moving to a lower tier didn’t stop him from going...and we’re continuously hiring city drivers off the street instead of drivers from CHS knocking down our doors to make more money.
we have proven we should be getting the GPD, we have alot of long timers with roots here and most don't want to work in a hub and with idiots like you

we have proven we should be getting the GPD, we have alot of long timers with roots here and most don't want to work in a hub and with idiots like you
All you’ve proven is my point idiot, if you have a lot of long timers then the wages must be where they need to be in your area

All you’ve proven is my point idiot, if you have a lot of long timers then the wages must be where they need to be in your area
No the wages are not, Charleston has grown to be the largest city in South Carolina,
In the last 10 years alone----
3rd busiest port in the country and the harbor deepening just started this week,
Boeing,Volvo,Mercedez sprinter vans,Scout boats and all the feeder companies that go along with it,Verizon,Google and more.
We have the highest electric rates in the country. some of the highest property taxes and with all that coastal SC is still a beautiful place to live
It was cost effective 20 years ago, not now.
I would be more than happy to debate this with you in private, I have done my homework and can back it with facts.
You may bleed purple, I,m here for the paycheck. but remember this----
If you die today--you job opening will be online before your obituary.......just sayin

No the wages are not, Charleston has grown to be the largest city in South Carolina,
3rd busiest port in the country and the harbor deepening just started this week,
Boeing,Volvo,Mercedez sprinter vans,Scout boats and all the feeder companies that go along with it,Verizon,Google and more.
We have the highest electric rates in the country. some of the highest property taxes and with all that coastal SC is still a beautiful place to live
I would be more than happy to debate this with you in private, I have done my homework and can back it with facts.
If you die today--you job opening will be online before your obituary.......just sayin

Don't confuse him... he will change what you're talking about then claim you can't comprehend what he is saying. :hide::clappy:

The drivers in CHS have requested a meeting with Mr. Ducker to discuss the GPD. Let's see if we get the opportunity?
I think, in the case of CHS, this is a good tactic. If your request has actually made it to Ducker's desk, there is a pretty good chance you'll get a hearing. Might not be Mike himself, but perhaps John Smith will be sent to follow up. Did you email Ducker directly? Phone call?

The facts show absolute proof of an ongoing deficit, for many years. ANY credible ongoing analysis will show the need in CHS. There is no public data anywhere that disputes this. The integrity of the entire GPD process requires serious scrutiny, if it can't see such a blatant example of need. Perhaps the most obvious in the entire system.

So I’ll bite...why so “concerned about the various locations and their competitiveness (or not) vs the competition”?? What does it matter, just curious??

Concerning transfers, I don’t believe it’s as big of a deal as you make it out to be. We just had a road driver leave CLT to GSP and moving to a lower tier didn’t stop him from going...and we’re continuously hiring city drivers off the street instead of drivers from CHS knocking down our doors to make more money.
It matters if you are at a location like CHS, or if you ever consider a transfer. An expectation of consistency seems reasonable. The rate in a given market should be similar, relative to the competition in said market.

Briefly, here's why it's a big deal:

1) The mean hourly wage for Tractor Trailer drivers in Charleston, SC is 77 cents/hour HIGHER than Charlotte, NC. Meanwhile, FedEx Freight pays $1.40/hour LESS, in Charleston.

2) Cost of living in Charleston, SC is also higher than Charlotte, NC.
  • Groceries 9% more
  • Housing 14% more
  • Utilities 35% more
  • Transportation 3% less
  • Health Care 0%
Competitive wage data suggests an increase of, not one, but TWO steps would actually be appropriate, if we want to be honest.

Sources:

https://www.bls.gov/oes/2016/may/oessrcma.htm

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

Last edited:
It matters if you are at a location like CHS, or if you ever consider a transfer. An expectation of consistency seems reasonable. The rate in a given market should be similar, relative to the competition in said market.

Briefly, here's why it's a big deal:

1) The mean hourly wage for Tractor Trailer drivers in Charleston, SC is 77 cents/hour HIGHER than Charlotte, NC. Meanwhile, FedEx Freight pays $1.40/hour LESS, in Charleston.

2) Cost of living in Charleston, SC is also higher than Charlotte, NC.
  • Groceries 9% more
  • Housing 14% more
  • Utilities 35% more
  • Transportation 3% less
  • Health Care 0%
Competitive wage data suggests an increase of, not one, but TWO steps would actually be appropriate, if we want to be honest.

Sources:

https://www.bls.gov/oes/2016/may/oessrcma.htm

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/
I’m gonna combine my response since these two post are basically making the same points...

I’ll not deny @mattbob’s claims because he’s probably right witn his facts in a lot of these cases and @SwampRatt also makes some valid points as well, but....sorry, they’re all irrelevant.

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter what industries have moved to town, who’s paying their employees what, how much this or that cost, etc, it just doesn’t...what matters is can a company attract good quality help and retain that help with what’s being offered through wages, benefits, working environment, etc...if so, then things are where they should be and if not then things will get adjusted to attract and retain, simple.

If we look at what took place in CLT several years ago for example, we were in the same situation as a lot of the centers you guys mentioned...it’s cheaper to live here, cost more here, etc, and it all fell on deaf ears. Then we hit a driver retention problem where not only could we not retain drivers, they had a hard time attracting “qualified” drivers so an adjustment had to be made and we were bumped up a tier. Under this criteria, which appears to carry the most weight, the case could be made that we be bumped up another tier since every time you go to the careers portion of the website, there’s always a job number for a driver position in CLT since we still have an issue with attracting qualified drivers.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying you guys don’t deserve the higher tier...personally I’d like to see only two tiers...but what I am saying is that regardless of COL, who’s paying what, yada yada yada, until your center experiences an attraction and retention problem, you probably shouldn't hold your breath.

I’m gonna combine my response since these two post are basically making the same points...

I’ll not deny @mattbob’s claims because he’s probably right witn his facts in a lot of these cases and @SwampRatt also makes some valid points as well, but....sorry, they’re all irrelevant.

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter what industries have moved to town, who’s paying their employees what, how much this or that cost, etc, it just doesn’t...what matters is can a company attract good quality help and retain that help with what’s being offered through wages, benefits, working environment, etc...if so, then things are where they should be and if not then things will get adjusted to attract and retain, simple.

If we look at what took place in CLT several years ago for example, we were in the same situation as a lot of the centers you guys mentioned...it’s cheaper to live here, cost more here, etc, and it all fell on deaf ears. Then we hit a driver retention problem where not only could we not retain drivers, they had a hard time attracting “qualified” drivers so an adjustment had to be made and we were bumped up a tier. Under this criteria, which appears to carry the most weight, the case could be made that we be bumped up another tier since every time you go to the careers portion of the website, there’s always a job number for a driver position in CLT since we still have an issue with attracting qualified drivers.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying you guys don’t deserve the higher tier...personally I’d like to see only two tiers...but what I am saying is that regardless of COL, who’s paying what, yada yada yada, until your center experiences an attraction and retention problem, you probably shouldn't hold your breath.
Never had the the driver retention or attraction problem at our center we've actually had and still have a surplus of drivers including part time retired guys and driver apprenticeships. Back when the union was the big deal they shot us up 2 tiers because of our centers proximity to the Chicago, Detroit, Indy and Toledo area. Definitely higher cost of living than our center. Don't know anything about their retention or attraction issues so I have to side with col and the union push.

Never had the the driver retention or attraction problem at our center we've actually had and still have a surplus of drivers including part time retired guys and driver apprenticeships. Back when the union was the big deal they shot us up 2 tiers because of our centers proximity to the Chicago, Detroit, Indy and Toledo area. Definitely higher cost of living than our center. Don't know anything about their retention or attraction issues so I have to side with col and the union push.

Come on now we all know that was just a coincidence. :scratchhead:

It seems like you are correct, in terms of ONLY addressing the GPD, where staffing is difficult or (more likely) impossible. BUT, let's not forget what we've been told, officially.

This from Jan 2015:
...per Manager-Compensation-FedEx Freight, "the GPD program is designed to address “cost of living” and “cost of wages” (presumably competitive) for the different markets in which FedEx Freight facilities are located. An outside consultant, Economic Research Institute (ERI) is used to provide data on the above for “individual cities and large metropolitan areas”. Data specific to each is considered using the “5 digit zip code”.

From back in July of 2016:
"Since that time, we have been told that an additional source is now used. Also we were told that the timeframe necessary for the data to effect a change, was being reduced from (I seem to recall) 8 consecutive quarters to 4 . Also, we were told that analysis would be on-going, rather than the previous (presumably annual) timetable."

Question: How many quarters have passed since they reduced the number said to be necessary to qualify?

Not to nitpick, but since it seems to be a simple matter of ability to hire, why the dog and pony show? Not one, but two firms paid to provide data? Ongoing quarterly analysis? REALLY? All the while, the Express Opp-Co comes to a different conclusion, in terms of pay rates per (the same) locations. Just questions...

On staffing, is seems that a couple times per year, CHS needs volunteers from other centers to go down there and help out. Yet another sign? Perhaps... Maybe someone with direct knowledge can help on that...

I still think the drivers at CHS are going about it the right way. Communication process, Suggestion process, Living PSP, etc. All said to allow for the open dialog. They have a very strong case. I wish them well.

It seems like you are correct, in terms of ONLY addressing the GPD, where staffing is difficult or (more likely) impossible. BUT, let's not forget what we've been told, officially.

This from Jan 2015:
...per Manager-Compensation-FedEx Freight, "the GPD program is designed to address “cost of living” and “cost of wages” (presumably competitive) for the different markets in which FedEx Freight facilities are located. An outside consultant, Economic Research Institute (ERI) is used to provide data on the above for “individual cities and large metropolitan areas”. Data specific to each is considered using the “5 digit zip code”.

From back in July of 2016:
"Since that time, we have been told that an additional source is now used. Also we were told that the timeframe necessary for the data to effect a change, was being reduced from (I seem to recall) 8 consecutive quarters to 4 . Also, we were told that analysis would be on-going, rather than the previous (presumably annual) timetable."

Question: How many quarters have passed since they reduced the number said to be necessary to qualify?

Not to nitpick, but since it seems to be a simple matter of ability to hire, why the dog and pony show? Not one, but two firms paid to provide data? Ongoing quarterly analysis? REALLY? All the while, the Express Opp-Co comes to a different conclusion, in terms of pay rates per (the same) locations. Just questions...

On staffing, is seems that a couple times per year, CHS needs volunteers from other centers to go down there and help out. Yet another sign? Perhaps... Maybe someone with direct knowledge can help on that...

I still think the drivers at CHS are going about it the right way. Communication process, Suggestion process, Living PSP, etc. All said to allow for the open dialog. They have a very strong case. I wish them well.
I agree 100% and also wish them luck...but I still wouldn’t hold my breath.

There’s a lot of centers that need help with voluteees a couple times a year, just a few weeks ago we had volunteers from Tx come up and help our city operations, that doesn’t mean we’re in line for a GPD bump.

C’mon Swampy, we’ve both been here long enough to know that almost everything is a dog and pony show...tell us what we want to hear (in some cases) and move along...