Pay Per Performance

Stan Smith

TB Regular
Credits
I'm wondering how it works and is it safe?

Tell the driver to work faster just seems wreckless. Injuries and accidents you would think spike up under this umbrella of Pay-Per-Performance.

Am I wrong here in this thinking?

I'm wondering how it works and is it safe?

Tell the driver to work faster just seems wreckless. Injuries and accidents you would think spike up under this umbrella of Pay-Per-Performance.

Am I wrong here in this thinking?

I got caught up in it, then I fell and was hanging upside down off the ramp by my leg, I found that if I slowed down and stayed organized, kept focused, kept a pace and worked safe, I was just as fast as when I was tearing through a trailer, in some cases faster.

Thats groceries though, the fuel tankers around here that are paid by the load will blow my doors off going through the city, if I had that job I would want to be by the hour like I am now, I like it better that way.

I guess it depends on the parameters that are set, in some cases it could be dangerous, in my case it took something to get my attention.

We were on "performance pay", and like GT said its how you handle it. I liked it but I had 2 pretty good routes and it worked out so my hourly was average 25.00-26.00 an hour, and I used to, and still do have kind of code of safety I won't push, because its my body and my licence. The down fall I think with it is that in order to make more money you have work harder, so senior guys to make more usually opt for butt kicker routes for the dough, when at alot of jobs the more senior you are the cushier it gets. I think the big thing is for employers to get outta paying O.T.

We were on "performance pay", and like GT said its how you handle it. I liked it but I had 2 pretty good routes and it worked out so my hourly was average 25.00-26.00 an hour, and I used to, and still do have kind of code of safety I won't push, because its my body and my licence. The down fall I think with it is that in order to make more money you have work harder, so senior guys to make more usually opt for butt kicker routes for the dough, when at alot of jobs the more senior you are the cushier it gets. I think the big thing is for employers to get outta paying O.T.

Thats a good way to put it KB, one of our guys has a hurt back but he still bid an ass kickin 5 day route for the money, he is young, and he has seniority so maybe he will be ok.

kboomarang said:
so senior guys to make more usually opt for butt kicker routes for the dough, when at alot of jobs the more senior you are the cushier it gets.

Kinda stinks, where I'm at they undermine the whole seniority thing and basically put guys where they want them.
kboomarang said:
I think the big thing is for employers to get outta paying O.T.

They started a LEAN program here and they've continued to say its not about money or guys doing more work.

Just kinda strange everybody is slaving more and making less money.... lol

I really hope this program doesn't come this way....

Last edited by a moderator:
When I worked at GFS they were paid by case,mile etc and we still got paid overtime. Same over at Sysco Asian Foods they still get paid overtime to.

When I worked at GFS they were paid by case,mile etc and we still got paid overtime. Same over at Sysco Asian Foods they still get paid overtime to.

At PFG we got paid piece mile and stop, pre and post trip, didn't matter how long it took, I got paid that, at Tankersley, I was by the hour, I liked both of those, at Sysco we are piece mile stop pre and post trip but the faster you move the more money ya make, I don't like that, I never understood that incentive, who cares if it takes 8hrs or 12hrs, as long as the customers are serviced and happy.

Seniority wasn't really used except for vacations, or if for whatever reason a route would open up, it would get posted for 2 weeks, after that the most senior guy that signed up for it would get it, and if nobody signed up the newest guy would get it. But nobody could "bump" anybody off their route. But it was also getting so if a route would open up nobody would want to change unless theirs had morphed into a monster.

Seniority wasn't really used except for vacations, or if for whatever reason a route would open up, it would get posted for 2 weeks, after that the most senior guy that signed up for it would get it, and if nobody signed up the newest guy would get it. But nobody could "bump" anybody off their route. But it was also getting so if a route would open up nobody would want to change unless theirs had morphed into a monster.

I have had routes that became monsters from manageable it sucks, thats the day I hate, now I just drive, boring but I don't have as much pain in my body as I did, I just hope I can hold the bid.

we have certain overnite runs that are "incentive based pay" where you make at LEAST your hourly rate, but if you are faster, you will make more. i haven't sat down and had it explained to me, but I went from a standard hourly rate of 18.83, to an incentive pay hourly rate of over 28 an hour. I lost out on OT, we still get it with the incentive pay, and it was still at least my OT rate, but it wasn't the HUGE jump that my regular pay went up. iirc, my pay went from 28.24, standard OT rate, to around 32 an hour.

AFAIK, there are many shops around with this "incentive" based pay, which is definetly better than PFP, as you will ALWAYS at least get your regular hourly rate with OT. But I would imagine that incentive pay only shows up at UNION shops, and the non union shops will always get the pfp.

Pay for performance sounds good to me.Though safety should be equated into your performance.Nobody likes carrying the weight of other drivers,though we all have did it at some point.It would be hard to implement though,considering the environment and quantity of each run.