Pay progression

Discussion in 'Dayton' started by bubs, Jun 22, 2017.

1. LTLIndentured

LTLIndentured Well-Known Member

You aren't guaranteed a run at the same time every night? Sounds like a bigger pay cut than I thought lol

LTLAnonymous likes this.
  2. LTLAnonymous

LTLAnonymous Active Member

I've only missed 4 days of work due to it being slow, and that was shortly after I got hired full time. Moving forward, I don't expect that I will miss any more days.

As far as it being a cut in pay, yes. I will freely admit that I was making 90 at ABF, and I will make about 40 this year. But I will make what I made at ABF in 2019, and then we won't even talk about how much money I'll make after that.

Two years of sacrifice is nothing in the scheme of things.

Skinnytrucker and icuicp like this.
  3. LTLAnonymous

And I apologize. It was never my intention to come here and recruit people. I'll answer questions, but I'm not here to sell you guys anything.

coondogg and icuicp like this.
  4. ROUGHBOY

ROUGHBOY Member

WOW! NO DOCK TIME! WISH CHARLESTON,WV WAS HIRING!

LTLAnonymous likes this.
  5. Rollin

Rollin Member

It's a UPS brown "feeder" position. It's...good. Much better than people on the outside try to make it sound.

Do you care to elaborate? How long before you were hired on full time?

6. LTLAnonymous

It was a year comprised of two rounds of seasonal work before I was hired. That part sucked, but...I'm in, now. Everything in life is a great experience, or a great story. That...was the latter.

As far as it being better than advertised...a lot of the guys at ABF tried to make it sound like I was less of a man for going to UPS. Like I had this amazing level of autonomy at ABF that was going to be lost at the micromanaging UPS. And sure. If there's a delay, you have to let dispatch know. But I accept that every single night, there's a level of time sensitivity to every single trailer I carry. Hell, I like that. I don't deal well with "We need it there Thursday." I like the excitement of, "It's screwed, and we need you to get it there immediately." Keeps me on my toes.

But then there were outright lies. One guy tried to make it sound like a cult. That they were going to have me do a "trust fall" (where you close your eyes and fall into the arms of another person). The supervisors really like the creativity of that one. Another one was, "You have a 15-minute window to get it there. If you get it there before the 15-minute window, you get written up. If you get it there after the 15-minute window, you get written up." Nope. Get it there as soon as safely possible. That's it.

You want to know what I've been written up for? Nothing. Ever. Do your job, everybody's happy.

So...yeah, UPS wants to know about delays. If it's not your fault, enjoy your coffee and sit there. If it's your fault, fix it in a timely manner. If it's the equipment's fault, take it to the shop. Pretty simple.

So looking back, it really makes me wonder. Who were those guys trying to convince? Me, or themselves?

Skinnytrucker likes this.
  7. bubs

bubs Active Member

Which facility are you at? I'd love to come back and work for UPS proper in about 2 years. Jefferson downtown or cach would be preferred

8. LTLAnonymous

I'm at CACH.