Pay rasie or better benefits?

Discussion in 'XPO Logistics' started by icuicp, Dec 5, 2016.

1. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

If our top executives ever asked you or the other employees what you want more , which would it be?

More money as far as pay?

Or , better benefits ( retirement , healthcare , uniforms , etc. )

Personally , if the choice was an equal one , I'd take the better benefits. No one ever asks us over the past few years , about what employees prefer - in the past the at least made an attempt to do surveys and what not.

vetran peddleman likes this.
  2. highspeeds

highspeeds ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY

At this point I want better of both. Neither is up to par. At the moment. The health care has been wrecked worse than the wages. So if forced to choose I would say health care.

sucker666 likes this.
  3. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

Copy that. Just tired of the games and the bull. Fire bad employees. Stop with the barely hiring. Increase pay and benefits. Drivers will once again want to work here.

4. ConwayDSR

ConwayDSR Well-Known Member

I would choose benefits also. A good matching 401k with low fees, plenty of vacation time, holiday parties, INSIDE HEATED and A/C dock, nice equipment that is taken care of, stress-free workplace.

I know a lot of our drivers have the attitude of I don't need anything but that pay check but damn most of them act like depressed grumpy old baby boomer old timers.

I would rather have a stress-free workplace that allows for a healthy and good lifestyle versus making 30 bucks an hour and being stressed out all the time.

Money isn't everything to me.

5. havinsomefun

havinsomefun Member

Why doesn't XPO take better care of its employees?
    Q2 O/R was 86.7
    Q3 O/R was 89.1
    With those numbers, they should be doing both improving benefits, and increasing wages, and giving bonuses to all of you.

What am I missing?

sportsman800 and 616jimmy like this.
  6. sucker666

sucker666 Well-Known Member

I think I'll sit this one out

smokin'joe likes this.
  7. highspeeds

EBITDA EBITDA EBITDA

smokin'joe likes this.
  8. highspeeds

Wanting better wages will cost you benefits, better benefits will cost you wages. That's how negotiations work. Which is most important to you ?

9. vongrimmenstein

vongrimmenstein Well-Known Member

Benefits. If you have to pay for your benefits (medical) you have to pay after taxes are taken out leaving you less net income. Most people have about 25% of their gross taken out for all kinds of taxes.
    If the cost of medical coverage is 10 grand a year And I pay it, it is costing me 25% in taxes. So the true cost is 12,500.00 a year. 10 grand is under the luxury medical figure of 15 grand so let the company pay it. I would give up some wages in favor of better medical bennies, like 10.00 office co-pay & no more than 1,000 per year cost per family. Go price family policy on the street for the same thing you get @ work. Then, still tell me you want the wages & will pay for the bennies yourself. Trust me, sticker price will slap you upside the head.

10. joes bar and grill

joes bar and grill Well-Known Member

Med insurance is pretax dollars.

11. Con-F-Trucker

Con-F-Trucker Active Member

Lmfao this will never ever Happen Ac and heated dock Lmfao Good luck with that Dream !!! We will be lucky if we get a pay raise without a Triple health insurance increase !! Wait we did get an insurance increase and no word on Raise Yet !! Smdh !!

12. sportsman800

sportsman800 Active Member

Pay raise there insurance is crap I'm fortunate enough to get blue Cross Blue Shield were the wife works

13. sportsman800

sportsman800 Active Member

I will take the wages thank you

sucker666 likes this.
  14. GO40

GO40 Banned

I would tell you what your missing but I will banned from this thread to...

15. vongrimmenstein

vongrimmenstein Well-Known Member

Because of no pay raise (yet) & a insurance increase as of now, can you tell about your trip to the Local Union Hall or phone call to the hall went? Until someone starts the process of bringing in a union for better wages & benefits, you will suffer lower wages & lousy benefits each & every year. A division of AT&T U-Verse & Direct TV under a CWA Contract went on strike earlier this year just to keep from having wages & benefits slashed. I believe it lasted 45 days but they gained in their new contract, & did not lose anything. They did lose wages to keep what they had. Never said it would be easy. UAW, IBT, USS, doesn't matter the Union name, what matters is you are working under a Collective Bargaining Agreement. Anything less, & you will gain very little. von.

http://www.labornotes.org/2016/06/verizon-strikers-show-corporate-giants-can-be-beat

GO40 and sucker666 like this.
  16. BIG R GUY

BIG R GUY Last, bag standing

I read that too,Con. I thought like you. But this is no b/s. we had a guy hire on a few years back at a Chicago area terminal, for dock. Was about this time of the year,and on his 3rd day he never showed up. Super called his house and his wife said he quit because the dock wasn't heated...

17. GO40

GO40 Banned

So because you had to endure brutal Dock conditions (I also did for years) that this is how it should be? Hooray for me screw the next guy. What's wrong with keeping the dock at 40 degrees? The New England states have it in their contract, it gets just as cold if not colder in other parts of the country....

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    LTLIndentured and sucker666 like this.
  18. BIG R GUY

BIG R GUY Last, bag standing

Been enduring it for 31 years, and still doing it every morning for 2-3 hours before I go on my route. Yep. That temp always seems to drop another 10 degrees right around 0600.

19. GO40

GO40 Banned

I do the same with my 7am start, 25 years in. Only difference is I want to make things better for the future workers, not the mindset I got mine & it sucks for them....

sucker666 likes this.
  20. sucker666

sucker666 Well-Known Member

Amen

GO40 likes this.