R&L | pay rate

staggerlee

TB Lurker
Credits
i just read a post on the conway board that mentions r and l. it says new hires are on a different pay scale than drivers who have been there awhile. can someone clear this up for me? is that post true. if not what is the payscale in burlington, n.j. ( philadelphia )?

i just read a post on the conway board that mentions r and l. it says new hires are on a different pay scale than drivers who have been there awhile. can someone clear this up for me? is that post true. if not what is the payscale in burlington, n.j. ( philadelphia )?

yes it is true. i duno what the exact deal is right now, but i heard that people who get hired now are under paramont logistics, or something like that, or because they are combo drivers it makes it a different scale, and ive also heard that they wont top out at our top rate. im not sure if that last part is correct, but that is what people have said. they started to mess with payscales about a year or two ago(here in the northeast they tried hiring guys for 16.20 an hour for a while and got NOBODY. wow- i started @ 17.95 an hour 12 years ago when i got hired at a trucking company-sorry to get off point) and now im not sure exactly what the deal is. ask the tm or the guy who is interviewing you EXACTLY what the scale is, because i also heard that there maybe a different benefit package for new hires-hope that is just a rumor, but ask.

yes it is true. i duno what the exact deal is right now, but i heard that people who get hired now are under paramont logistics, or something like that, or because they are combo drivers it makes it a different scale, and ive also heard that they wont top out at our top rate. im not sure if that last part is correct, but that is what people have said. they started to mess with payscales about a year or two ago(here in the northeast they tried hiring guys for 16.20 an hour for a while and got NOBODY. wow- i started @ 17.95 an hour 12 years ago when i got hired at a trucking company-sorry to get off point) and now im not sure exactly what the deal is. ask the tm or the guy who is interviewing you EXACTLY what the scale is, because i also heard that there maybe a different benefit package for new hires-hope that is just a rumor, but ask.

i hadn't been told about being paid by "someone else" other than R+L. i was told no matter what job you go for, you get paid about $2.00 less than everyone else, and it'll take "about" 2 years to get to top rate. all this i got from a TM in Massachusetts about 3-4 weeks ago, and you do not have to start as a combo driver. whatever is open at the time, you apply for. i personally wanted line haul, as my 1st choice.......i'll take dock work (at the same terminal) before i go combo, and work docks at other terminals, and never city, which WAS offered me on the spot.

i hadn't been told about being paid by "someone else" other than R+L. i was told no matter what job you go for, you get paid about $2.00 less than everyone else, and it'll take "about" 2 years to get to top rate. all this i got from a TM in Massachusetts about 3-4 weeks ago, and you do not have to start as a combo driver. whatever is open at the time, you apply for. i personally wanted line haul, as my 1st choice.......i'll take dock work (at the same terminal) before i go combo, and work docks at other terminals, and never city, which WAS offered me on the spot.

i should have explained the paramount leasing part better. it IS still r+l just a different part of the company. like i said, that was about a year or two ago they started that, and i dont know if they are still doing it. i hadnt heard that all new hires have to combo, but if that is what people are saying, i guess it is so.

The Paramount experiment ended back the end of last year.We are al employed by R+L.

I am pretty sure they are on a lower payrate,and will never make the same as someone is who is topped out... These drivers I believe pay more for their benefits.. What what I have seen though, this experiment is not working, and everyone who has hired in at this reduced rate, has only used R&L as a stepping stone to go somepalce better, and none have stuck around long....
o ok there you go. i didnt know that.
does that mean that new hires can make the same top rate as guys who have been here at least 5+ years?

well this is very interesting our combo drivers that have went to full time was told after yr they would get big pay raise.uhh guess what didnt happen they top out at 19 or something like that and only way tm says they will get our pay scale is if they bid on run and get it which is very hard to get and they know it .this info comes from like 4 combos that have came and runnin city everyday in indiana so its very true.big game is all it is

well this is very interesting our combo drivers that have went to full time was told after yr they would get big pay raise.uhh guess what didnt happen they top out at 19 or something like that and only way tm says they will get our pay scale is if they bid on run and get it which is very hard to get and they know it .this info comes from like 4 combos that have came and runnin city everyday in indiana so its very true.big game is all it is

you see now that is bulls**t. we all work for the same company, there is no excuse why two guys who are at top rate, and work out of the same terminal shouldnt make the same amount per hour. this is another way to make a cheap profit off your workers. this practice is wrong and does nothing to keep new drivers here long term.

Agreed but Im only for giving new hires the ability to get to top rate after 5 years,the same as what I went through.Taking pay away from me is not an option when they dont even pay time and a half to begin with.

Agreed but Im only for giving new hires the ability to get to top rate after 5 years,the same as what I went through.Taking pay away from me is not an option when they dont even pay time and a half to begin with.

the TM i interviewed with said 2 years to make it to top rate. he did also mention "something not working out", and R+L changed things to keep drivers, and the personal days will be coming back. i still have yet to meet with him again, which should be next week, i believe.

the TM i interviewed with said 2 years to make it to top rate. he did also mention "something not working out", and R+L changed things to keep drivers, and the personal days will be coming back. i still have yet to meet with him again, which should be next week, i believe.

Don't know if I would trust that but then I don't think the top rate your gonna work toward and my top rate are them same.

it always took 4 years worked to get to top rate. not sure what it is now, but i know it was 4 years

Im coming up on my 7 yr anniversary in January and it was 5 years for me to top out at 24.70 up here in the northeast.

it used to be four years but with the "experiment", I think it was two years to a top scale of 19 something a hr. Pro 1 Driver, if I were you, I would make specific inquires to what pay scale you will be on. I would go so far as to ask exactly when my step increases occurred and what my top scale was. I noticed that the web site still lists 401k and paid sick/personal days as bennies. Ask him how many and when you can sign up for 401k. Right now, neither exist. Good luck. Just for comparision, we are at 23.47 a hr in the midwest.
shadowr434 said he was at 24.70 pr hr. Your top scale should be somewhere around these two figures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone will make the same top scale at your terminal. We just had a combo driver awarded a city bid run and he went onto the bid scale. He will be at my rate in 3 years.

Which in my opinion is unfair to the senior drivers that took 5 years to get there and havent seen a cost of living increase in 2 years.

Im coming up on my 7 yr anniversary in January and it was 5 years for me to top out at 24.70 up here in the northeast.

Which in my opinion is unfair to the senior drivers that took 5 years to get there and havent seen a cost of living increase in 2 years.

whatever the high rate is......that is what i was told, and it will be done in 2 years, and i do believe its the $23/24 per hour scale..........your company is not a union shop. when i worked for a union shop, new hires could not make "top pay" till the next contract go around. it was always to the discretion of the TM, to either advance an employee's pay or hold it at the rate per year. in other words, i got my 2¢ pay raise BEFORE the contract said i could, i went above the lead driver in pay, not in seniority. i had told my TM at the time i was "looking" and he gave me the raise, so i stayed.

the TM i interviewed with, had told me a few things were not working out, the company could not find qualified drivers, so things were changed. you WILL be getting back your 3 personal days soon he said. which if i get hired on, i'll have them as well.

It has always taken 5 years to top out...I doubt very seriously that anyone hired on now would be at $23/24 an hour in 2 years...R&L is not gonna do that.
whatever the high rate is......that is what i was told, and it will be done in 2 years, and i do believe its the $23/24 per hour scale..........your company is not a union shop. when i worked for a union shop, new hires could not make "top pay" till the next contract go around. it was always to the discretion of the TM, to either advance an employee's pay or hold it at the rate per year. in other words, i got my 2¢ pay raise BEFORE the contract said i could, i went above the lead driver in pay, not in seniority. i had told my TM at the time i was "looking" and he gave me the raise, so i stayed.

the TM i interviewed with, had told me a few things were not working out, the company could not find qualified drivers, so things were changed. you WILL be getting back your 3 personal days soon he said. which if i get hired on, i'll have them as well.