TForce | Pay Rumor

I agree with covvgirl. I am very displeased with the way this conversion is going. When you think UPS, you are supposed to think quality and you think a good place to work and make good money. But I guess what we should doing is thinking of a new word, profitability. That is all UPS cares about. The customer cars about price first then service a very close second. We as employees care about making money, benefits and job stability, and UPS cares about nothing but profitablity.

Loves to laugh

SlowRide said:
Well you sound pissed. Maybe things will improve soon so you and your husband can be pround of UPS. Does he talk on the boards or do you keep up on all that is happening and pass on his sediments.

SlowRide,,, He isn't really into the boards, He'll read them when he's bored, Dave loves to laugh.And yes I do read the boards to him when he's driving after he has sat half the night away cus central has Messed up and he needs to stay awake. Remember I said he loves to laugh

TheBigR said:
I think the possibility of you guys getting more hourly and mileage than NMFA is very real. But what they want in exchange is going to be a relaxation of the work rules, ie; no yardmen, do your own hooks and spots, road men humping freight on the dock and at dark terminals, etc, all the things that make a "Teamster" job, a good job. Those 15 hour days every day are going to get old after a while. Sure hope you push for NMFA standards.
No Drivers on the dock PERIOD!!!
No 15 hour days PERIOD!!!
I can handle the rest.

Browne1 said:
I agree with covvgirl. I am very displeased with the way this conversion is going. When you think UPS, you are supposed to think quality and you think a good place to work and make good money. But I guess what we should doing is thinking of a new word, profitability. That is all UPS cares about. The customer cars about price first then service a very close second. We as employees care about making money, benefits and job stability, and UPS cares about nothing but profitablity.
Not trying to start anything, but that is why I live in the USA. If I do not like something, then I do not have to do it. I can buy my own truck and go to work for myself. Just be realistic for a moment and look what is happening in the auto industry. Companies have to make a profit or they go out of business. Who would have thought this would have happened to Ford or GMC? I had uncles who all went North to work at auto plants, I'm sure they are turning over in their graves at what is happening today in the auto industry and they thought it would never happen... Just my thoughts..

Browne1 said:
Browne 1,
It's not only UPS. It's actually about 95% of all businessese nowdays. It's the new Corporate America. If you go to the Oak Harbor Forum and read Shifterknob's description of it you'll see on the page I'll provide a link for below......it couldn't be more true. Read posts 77, 78 and 79.

http://www.truckingboards.com/truck...-drivers/4123-anti-union-propaganda-la-8.html

bamaboy said:
Not trying to start anything, but that is why I live in the USA. If I do not like something, then I do not have to do it. I can buy my own truck and go to work for myself. Just be realistic for a moment and look what is happening in the auto industry. Companies have to make a profit or they go out of business. Who would have thought this would have happened to Ford or GMC? I had uncles who all went North to work at auto plants, I'm sure they are turning over in their graves at what is happening today in the auto industry and they thought it would never happen... Just my thoughts..
I have a friend that works at Ford in Norfolk and they are about to close down. But alot of companies go out of business because of the miss management of business. Think about it. If you are a CEO of a company, so what if the company you work for goes out of business if you get rich from it. I worked at Pepsi and we were trying to organize our plant. The CEO at Pepsi makes 900,000 a year which excludes bonuses, and gets 10 million dollars a year in stock options. The guy who just retired from Exxon got a 400 Billion dollar retirement package, and lok at the price of gas. Where do these people live that they need this much money to live? What is it that they do that they should earn that MUCH money? Companies go out of business alot of times because of greedy execs. I just want my piece of the pie..

Browne1 said:
I have a friend that works at Ford in Norfolk and they are about to close down. But alot of companies go out of business because of the miss management of business. Think about it. If you are a CEO of a company, so what if the company you work for goes out of business if you get rich from it. I worked at Pepsi and we were trying to organize our plant. The CEO at Pepsi makes 900,000 a year which excludes bonuses, and gets 10 million dollars a year in stock options. The guy who just retired from Exxon got a 400 Billion dollar retirement package, and lok at the price of gas. Where do these people live that they need this much money to live? What is it that they do that they should earn that MUCH money? Companies go out of business alot of times because of greedy execs. I just want my piece of the pie..
This all started happening .in the 1970's, based on the research I've done, but it has its roots in the desicions made in the post war enviroment of the 1940's and 50's. We basically gave away our technology in heavy industry to all these developing countries or the countries that where destroyed. So all these other countries whileour executives here failed to update or build new plants and factories here in the United States. Then in the 1970's the idea of free trade came about. Instead of protecting the American worker, they allowed all these other countries to dump cheap, subsidized junk in our country. Then at the same time tariffs were put on everything we tried to export. And many people in this country don't care about where stuf is made so long as it is cheap, and all of the sudden American industry collapses Then slowly but surely our economy is deregulated. Another thing that happened at that time was companies started moving towards the southern solution as the south is notorioussly anit union. Another factor is that the labour movement in this country is weaker than in others namely in Europe and Canada. Take for example the UAW. They use a technique called whipsawing to get the plants to compete against each other and the one that agrees to the deepest concessions stays open, till the next round at least.So while all this is going on our wages go down and CEo pay skyrockets. Then when these companies tank, somehow we're the ones to blame.

bamaboy said:

Bamaboy.... Man you got ahold of good drugs or maybe it was bad drugs,, .. Lets be realistic. buy your self a truck , work 6 months to pay for truck INS..1 week a month to make truck payments, then the next 6 month to pay your FUEL bill... ooooh and lets not forget all the beneficts your gonna pay yourself, hahha that ain't gonna happen, about the time you think you have a extra $1000.00 or $2000.00 to bank for your retirement you need tires. don't forget medical INS plus break downs.and when you have the flu there is no dispatcher or TM to call and say 'I can't make it today I'm sick" Bamaboy I ain't blowin smoke. Dave and I owned our own for 12yrs.. ran cross country. We were young and dumb at the time, We never seen each other, he would be on the east coast when I was on the west coast. a few time we met in the middle, had wild sex and on the road again. We even sold his truck and ran team in mine, that didn't work,, by the time we did that my truck had a zillion miles on it, well maybe not a zillion. anyway it started needed major repairs. In those 12 yrs I grew old real fast but alittle wiser. Today Dave drives for UPSF and is very proud to do so. he can go home and let someone else change the starter, do oil changes, ect. and not have to buy tires and fuel and and and... and he makes more money than owning your own. Plus we have quality time together. Plus we got to have babies. they are WAY better than any ol truck.

Long days said:
Nothing like volunteer,volunteer,volnteer, they will always need YOUR help! & not hire enough help so you the driver will not have to burn the candle for 14 hrs a day....plus while you do the help out routine they slack and take a smoke break & it goes on and on.Nobody would volunteer to hep me (a driver) for anything ;just think about it ,when was the last time any one volunteered to assist you while hooking up etc. they would just walk on by while you have to get out and move something out of the way,hang a gear on a trailer.I`m a highly skilled employee& don`t want to be obligated for the entry level jobs proper functioning (that`s managements area of skill) After all you make all that big moola $70.000 a year devided by about 12 to 14 hours aday which is not alot per the hour you & me have to work to get big bucks!!!There is no reason for a line driver to work the dock & drive 9 to 11 too;even once in a while....Big companys have to think big and lead with vision not blindness and stop gap tactics......One hat is enough

Long Days.. don't forget.. when was the last time you were really tired, was there a dock worker or anyone else for that matter holding up his hand and yelling.. I WILL!!! I WILL!!! to volunteer and help run your Rt. you know let them drive while you say get 6 hrs sleep..Hell no.. no drivers on the docks no dock workers hooking up or breakin apart. or after everyone else has gone home you gotta move 3 trailers just to get your out, and thats after you spent 45 mins. trying to find it.

serta said:
hmmm. $24.65 good luck. Thats an awful lot to pay a freight guy. Can't really see it, but hope you get it!
HAd to edit this, I could actually see it, if their paying their drivers that too, and not paying them mileage.

Actually there was an article in FBS. magazine, that I had read some time ago that stated , and I cannot be exact about the actual percentages, but it stated that the percentage of pay per year , for professional driving in the trucking industry scince deregulation has dropped almost 30-40 %. They used a formula similar to this , a 15 yr. period prior to deregulation and a 15 year period after to get these results.

It is not practical to think such a thing considering deregulation has happened , but in effect, if deregulation had never happened, we would be well over 30$ per HR. in this industry. At that point being union or not does'nt really matter, at that point it is the service that really matter's.

ftaf08 said:
This all started happening .in the 1970's, based on the research I've done, but it has its roots in the desicions made in the post war enviroment of the 1940's and 50's. We basically gave away our technology in heavy industry to all these developing countries or the countries that where destroyed. So all these other countries whileour executives here failed to update or build new plants and factories here in the United States. Then in the 1970's the idea of free trade came about. Instead of protecting the American worker, they allowed all these other countries to dump cheap, subsidized junk in our country. Then at the same time tariffs were put on everything we tried to export. And many people in this country don't care about where stuf is made so long as it is cheap, and all of the sudden American industry collapses Then slowly but surely our economy is deregulated. Another thing that happened at that time was companies started moving towards the southern solution as the south is notorioussly anit union. Another factor is that the labour movement in this country is weaker than in others namely in Europe and Canada. Take for example the UAW. They use a technique called whipsawing to get the plants to compete against each other and the one that agrees to the deepest concessions stays open, till the next round at least.So while all this is going on our wages go down and CEo pay skyrockets. Then when these companies tank, somehow we're the ones to blame.

Coul'nt have said it better myself .

The other reason for sending companies down south from the northeast, and I mean southeast US, is the rate of pay was cheaper down yonder than up here.

I also agree that we need to industrialize other nation's so we can compete in a world market, broadening our Sales map's for business in our country, essentially creating higher profit margins ,but it should have happened at a rate equal to the rate of growth in the other countries we supported.

At one point the Americans were the cheapest producer's , then it was the Japaneese then Malaysia then Korea, India,Phillipines,Chile ,Canada, Mexico, now China, and I am sure there will be more. And I am sure I have missed some.

Browne1 said:

Well you know what they say, A big wad of money in one's pocket compensate's for a small #$%^&&^%$$%&^&*.

And do'nt believe for a second if you went union at pepsi that he would take a cut in pay to save the company.

Accelerator said:
Coul'nt have said it better myself .

The other reason for sending companies down south from the northeast, and I mean southeast US, is the rate of pay was cheaper down yonder than up here.

I also agree that we need to industrialize other nation's so we can compete in a world market, broadening our Sales map's for business in our country, essentially creating higher profit margins ,but it should have happened at a rate equal to the rate of growth in the other countries we supported.

At one point the Americans were the cheapest producer's , then it was the Japaneese then Malaysia then Korea, India,Phillipines,Chile ,Canada, Mexico, now China, and I am sure there will be more. And I am sure I have missed some.
Actually alot of Canadians lok at us like we look at mexico because of all the concessions we have taken down here and the declining rate of unionism in this country. I didn't mean to take things off topic here, so here's my point. Regardless of what may be negotiated for you by the International and locals, do not ratify anything less than NMFA standards. If you do I believe the companies will start using it to whipsaw us to get more and more concessions out of all of us. Proponents of free trade recently started a push to get mexican trucks up here again. UPS sees this, as does YRC and ABF, in addition to all the other carriers. Like STLdude said in anothe thread, most of us thought trucking was safe. If you guys get a sub NMFA contract it will begin concessions from all us. And anyone who thinks concessions save jobs in the long run can ask the auto workers and steelworkers how it worked out for them.

Accelerator said:
Actually there was an article in FBS. magazine, that I had read some time ago that stated , and I cannot be exact about the actual percentages, but it stated that the percentage of pay per year , for professional driving in the trucking industry scince deregulation has dropped almost 30-40 %. They used a formula similar to this , a 15 yr. period prior to deregulation and a 15 year period after to get these results.

It is not practical to think such a thing considering deregulation has happened , but in effect, if deregulation had never happened, we would be well over 30$ per HR. in this industry. At that point being union or not does'nt really matter, at that point it is the service that really matter's.
And as far as I'm concerned you can't pay me enough. I'll never turn away more money. I'm not gonna kill myself to go get it, but I'll never say I get paid to much.

serta said:
hmmm. $24.65 good luck. Thats an awful lot to pay a freight guy. Can't really see it, but hope you get it!
HAd to edit this, I could actually see it, if their paying their drivers that too, and not paying them mileage.

I heard from a good source the hourly will be $26.98 mileage 72 cents per mile.:smillie_flag:

Lol...

Skeeter said:
I heard from a good source the hourly will be $26.98 mileage 72 cents per mile.:smillie_flag:

Get the old high school calculator out.. .72 times 500-$36.00 per hr.. Now I wanna get some of that dope your takin,, it must be the same stuff Bababoy has..start sharing dang...

where do you guys work??

serta said:

I take it the guys on here that are saying 26.00 28.00 or so is out of the question.. top pay right now for a bid driver..thats 1 that has the same run every day.. top pay is .53 per mile..the runs are all right around 500 miles.. .53 times 500 = $26.50
What does a small pkg driver get a hr?

plus serta you said

"$24.65 good luck. Thats an awful lot to pay a freight guy". You sound like its a bad thing to be a "FREIGHT GUY"

When some of the posters talk about hourly pay being kind of high they mean compared to the nmfa. When and if a contract is setteled you can bet it will be close to what the rest of the industry covered by the union is getting. Hourly pay is what it is, not what you get for a 500 mile run averaging 65 mph. Hourly pay mainly effects dock and city workers not road men except when figuring wait or delay time or work performed besides driving.Be realistic in that the offer being made will be enough to entice you to sign but also low enough to remain competitive in the freight business. Remember the only reason for a union is not just the money but work rules that you can live with that don't change daily and a contract that describes what is expected of both sides. Some on here have made the comment that if it isn't broke than it don't need fixing and the complain on how they are being treated. These are the conditions that can be corrected in a contract with specific work rules such as who hauls which loads , accepting or waiting on work calls,hours of service and payment of waiting time. Not to be an a-hole but when the company ask me for a favor I remind them this is not my hobby but how I make my living and if they want something done ,all they have to do is tell me so, and if it's legal and safe I'd be glad to and get paid for doing it. my 2 cents