R&L | Pay Salesmen in Commission

R&L_PHI

TB Lurker
Credits
Can't get freight sitting on customers dock. The customer has already made their phone calls to find the cheapest price! Pay salesmen in commission and our freight will skyrocket. Most customers use brokers anyway,sales reps should be calling the brokers and making them the offers,us drivers really have nothing to do with what company a shipper uses. They want us to get more skids from places we pick up at,why don't the salesmen study all the bills we bring in and go to those companies and sweeten the offers!!We can only provide good courteous service,it's the sales reps job to make deals and pick up freight. I purpously don't give out hats and t-shirts,that way I know when sales rep has made a visit.

While you have a good idea, the manner in which to calculate the commissions would be quite difficult. Is the shipment PREPAID (shipper pays) or COLLECT Consignee pays, but was it collect because the shipper shipped it that way of that the consignee requested it via that carrier) or THIRD PARTY (an example would be a broker or shipper in Chicago controls or routes a shipment from Detroit to Houston).

Also, it is just not a matter of "Sweetening the offer". There is a costing profile that the R+L pricing department uses and many carriers will do it for less.

I am not discounting what your saying, but it is easier said than done fairly. If you are having problems with a rep and they ARE legitimate concerns, the rep may be the problem.