Paycuts, when is enough, enough ?

Discussion in 'New Penn' started by Irishman107, Jun 23, 2009.

1. deejay

deejay Member

trucker999. Those days are long over brother. New Penn is out under pricing other carriers to get freight. That is the way it goes now. We have a cheaper cost base than non-unions right now. (heard that from salesperson) There isn't a trucking company out there that can't do what we can do. New Penn is not what it once was. All i can talk about is pittsburgh, but I can name probably 3-4 carriers that deliver next day further into the north east than we do. It's been that way for years.

d.j.

2. lucky7

lucky7 Member

Irishman107 dont assume anything reread my post you will see I said 15-17 an hour was too big of a cut.Im staying right where I am for as long as the ride last.I also have no delusions about the competency of upper management of YRC or the IBT.Hoffa assured the pension fund crisis when he kept UPS frieght out of our existing funds.Zollers spent money on credit like a drunken sailor whith no regard for the bottom line and should be s---t canned.Now we after deal with the aftermath of incompetence from all our leadership!

3. lucky7

lucky7 Member

last sentence should read;Now we have to deal with the aftermath of incompetence from all of our leadership!

4. detour

detour Member

hey lucky7

did you hit your head

richard

5. allnightrain44

allnightrain44 Active Member

you actually think all these non-union carriers are going to welcome 15, 18, 20yr+ teamsters to come join our company.duie pyle's management has one basic rule they follow, and that is there are no rules!! and you think you'll last how long at a non-union carrier? abf and ups freight all have there share of guys laid off, if yrcw would file BK,and all this freight hits the street,till they brought all back to work, and economey isn't picking up, i'm sure they would be hireing very spareingly. alot less than what many predict in hireing numbers. 6-8 months after yrcw BK, all this freight would be settled in and many not even needed anymore, and with all of us at the bottom of every list, we would be the first ones now not working. un-employment, no pensions and no health care.and since the gov't took over your pension, with a BK fileing, you might get a third of what you should have gotten for your 21 yrs at npme. i say might, because the gov't pension releif fund or what ever they call it is already 35 billion in the whole. they can't keep printing money forever. since trucking is leading indicator of p/u in economey, which hasn't happen,who do you think would spend money to buy a trucking company at this time?we are probably one of the few ltl that has made a profit so far this year, thats good,but it was done with 10% give back, from a relitively small 350 million a year company, that if sold would go back to full wages. and new owner would most likely have to come up with arrears pension obligations and than continue to pay in without any change in whats happening pension wise now. yea, i'm sure there are dozens of investors fighting to buy npme right now behind the scenes. the longer yrcw stays afloat , even with giveing back like we have already, and maybe 2 yrs no credit for pension, the better chance we do have of maybe being bought by a smart investor.the longer yrcw stays afloat gets us closer to the time our economey starts getting back on track.

6. NP Driver1

NP Driver1 Banned

Great post! Lots of good points to think about here. Don't make a hasty decision in the upcoming vote. Talk about it with coworkers and look at both sides of the vote. We all need to be smart about this. For all of those who think closing the company and finding another job is the way to go, try filling out applications now and see how many callbacks you get. There are not enough jobs for all of us now, and the extra freight from a YRCW bankruptcy will easily be absorbed by other carriers with minimal hiring. They ALL have drivers on layoff as well except Conway-they did economic terminations and now have openings to cover summer vacations.

7. Jay C

Jay C Banned

OK Irishman.. but if I agreed with you we would both be wrong. I would vote yes because all my life when ever it's time to make a tough decision I let my wife make them and I forget about it. Plus I always do what the company asks me to do..do what you think is best..you are not a cynic and seem to have some pride and self esteem..but where will a no vote get you?..please answer question

8. Irishman107

Irishman107 Member

As soon as you or someone else answers mine. How low will you go before you say NO????? Easy question but no answer, just long monologues.

9. lucky7

lucky7 Member

Apparently you have a problem with reading comprehension ,your question has been answered many times over.You just dont like the answers.

10. Irishman107

Irishman107 Member

Please point it out to me Lucky. Where does it say what the lowest wage or the least amount of benefits etc someone would work for... You do know how to copy and paste I would assume since your much smarter than me. So do it and prove me wrong.Cant, thought so........

11. lucky7

lucky7 Member

First of all irish107 never said Im smarter than you.I just said your dismissing everything you read because you disagree with whats presented.I will not take another pay cut,or pay for my medical coverage with this outfit.I will give them a chance to turn things around by deferring pension payments because no matter where else I go they will not have a company paid pension. I hope this clarifies my possition.Goodluck to all this is not an easy pill to swallow.

12. Irishman107

Irishman107 Member

You're the only one who answered my question. Thanks

13. Jay C

Jay C Banned

How about workin for food? Cuts are only temporary...so don't worry about a thing cause every little thing is gonna be ok

14. Irishman107

Irishman107 Member

Kinda like when are taxes are raised and were told its only temporary. Sounds a little like Bob Marley if u change ok to alright. This must mean he is only temporarily dead.:clap::clap:

15. newpenn107

newpenn107 Active Member

Seems like you are no longer living up to this statement you posted?

16. Irishman107

Irishman107 Member

Is this true LUCKY??? Oh F F you lied to me. You mean your voting yes after your long speech. Is it true?????

17. lucky7

lucky7 Member

Yes it is true after weighing all options I have concluded there is no other viable course of action.Even at this reduced rate you will not match what you have here anywhere else.I know you and JH disagree and believe NewPenn will survive a no vote.I hope your right but I feel it in my bones that your wrong.

18. hooligan

hooligan Member

I also believe new penn will survive a no vote. Mostly the pension withdrawel liability is the reason I don't believe they would close us. (but I'm no expert on the contract wording)

19. Irishman107

Irishman107 Member

So wheres the bottom Lucky????? You were the only 1 to answer the question. Since you weigh your options, How low will you go?? Another 2 dollars a hour, reduced Health benefits??? Wheres your new BOTTOM at LUCKY???

20. lucky7

lucky7 Member

This is it.This is the same rate I would get starting at ABF as a casual and if made payroll for one year.