FedEx Freight | Pension for Fed Ex Frt.

SMOKESTACK

Survival my only hope , success my only option.
Administrator
Credits
So Con Way dumps the pension , why do we need or want one ?
I still say make some larger company matches or some improvement to our 401K and let it be.
Ok guys what do you all think about this?

Is a pension really the way to go ?

So far 34 views of this thread and we have 2 yes votes along with me.
Come on what do you guys think here ?

Definetly go with the 401k(larger match percentage??). A multitude of pension programs have managed to go bankrupt throughout the years and companies can default on them at anytime. Just take Boeing for instance. The money from the 401k can't be retracted once it matures and at least your money will make money throughout the years. Plus think of the added benifets from a 401k, no interest loans, lower your taxable wage, ect.

Sorry if I am being too intrusive. I'm not an employee of FedEx(yet!!). But I have never understood why some people are so sold on the idea of a pension. It's a rug that can be pulled up from under you at any time.

Adding to the 401k sounds good but i would like to see the pension package first before i answer. Also insurance once you retire needs to be discussed.

Guess I'd have to vote for a bigger 401k match too, like previously said, a pension has "dissapeared" too many times from other companies right when the people who earned it are relying on it....

You have to ask yourself which one do you have more control over a company pension or 401k? I would say hold out on the company pension due to the fact that you just might have another form of a pension in the near future that the company has no choice in. It's time to take more control over your future and let the fat cats at the top figure their own out.

hi yall...sorry to intrude on your board.. i work for conway and thought for 12 years i would retire early with a traditional pension...NOT !!! in my opinion yall would be better off with alot more company match in your 401 k...we as drivers can not trust companies to save for us...we have all read the stories about underfunded plans and companies going bankrupt..just my opinion keep it on road ..drive on

after 911 i lost 21 thousand dollars in 401 i still like the idea but remember guys thats not a guarentee either.the way it sounded to me with our pensions was once fx gives us that money they cannot touch it it is ours.they are unable to borrow from it and they are not allowed take it once its given.per new rules passed into law.also if they promise 2 percent they must pay 2percent they cant say well we will give them one percent now and 3 percent later to make up the diff.i like to have a 401 and a pension but fx should give us a choice one or the other or both:ontopic:

14wheeler said:
after 911 i lost 21 thousand dollars in 401 i still like the idea but remember guys thats not a guarentee either.the way it sounded to me with our pensions was once fx gives us that money they cannot touch it it is ours.they are unable to borrow from it and they are not allowed take it once its given.per new rules passed into law.also if they promise 2 percent they must pay 2percent they cant say well we will give them one percent now and 3 percent later to make up the diff.i like to have a 401 and a pension but fx should give us a choice one or the other or both:ontopic:

!4wheeler,
You haven't lost anything till you cash out of your 401k, though the value may be less you still had the same number of shares.
Now if you moved things around or cashed out during the lull following 9-11 then yes, you lost money, otherwise it should have come right back when the tide turned and the market came back.

FM

General offices need to look here too.

Well the guys here all seem to like the 401K and I think it is the best way to go for us , but that's me , a higher company match would be great. I have done very well with mine but I play with it , moving things around and watching the markets , I lost money after 911 but I kept buying big and you should see it now. I would like to see more input from our guys here yet , come on guys lets hear it.

Thanks crew.

Smokestack said:
Well the guys here all seem to like the 401K and I think it is the best way to go for us , but that's me , a higher company match would be great. I have done very well with mine but I play with it , moving things around and watching the markets , I lost money after 911 but I kept buying big and you should see it now. I would like to see more input from our guys here yet , come on guys lets here it.

Thanks crew.

Can I borrow some money ???:Banger-Cow:

I'll take a pension like the one the politicians get, seems like they do not have to worry about anything draining funds from their nest. 401 would be real nice if they would match dollar for dollar to ten percent.