New Penn | Pension withdaw liability

newpenn107

TB Regular
Credits
Some companies have labor contracts requiring contributions to a multi-employer pension plan. The Teamsters’ Central States Pension Plan is a widely recognized example. The underlying labor contract typically requires a fixed dollar contribution for each hour or week worked by a covered employee. Participation in the multi-employer plan can present significant potential problems for a financially troubled company, its officers, and shareholders.

Under the Multi-Employer Pension Plan Amendment Act, 29 USC 1381, et seq. (MPPAA), a company withdrawing from a multi-employer pension fund is responsible for its share of the "unfunded liability" the company's portion of the pension plan's vested benefits not adequately funded. Simply stated, the underfunded plan is committed to pay more than it currently has in assets. The valuation is almost always done as of the last day of the plan year preceding the date of the withdrawal and the unfunded liability determination is based on the plan's actuarial assumptions and mortality tables. In a troubled economic climate, these plans are plagued by poor investment performance. When the plan's investments have a projected lower rate of return, the unfunded liability will be increased and continue to increase unless and until the plan trustees either reduce the pension benefits or increase employer contributions. If the plan’s financial status reaches “critical status” under The Pension Protection Act of 2006, additional
charges and surcharges may apply.
As a general rule, shareholders and officers have no personal liability for withdrawal liability under MPPAA. Personal liability may be sought, however, if the corporate form has not been respected. These pension funds are vacuums for money. If the withdrawing company cannot pay the withdrawal liability, ERISA also allows the pension fund to seek collection of the withdrawal liability from "all...trades or businesses (whether or not incorporated) which are under common control [and which] shall be treated as...a single employer." 29
U.S.C. § 1301(b)(1). The common control test is used to determine whether multiple entities should be deemed a single employer for purposes of assessing which entities
are liable for unpaid withdrawal liability under MPPAA.
Unpaid withdrawal liability can have significant impact. For example, the Central States Plan was allowed to pursue commercial real estate owned by the sole shareholder
which was a trade or business. Deductions for advertising, utilities, repairs, and depreciation are “strong evidence” that real estate activities are a trade or business.
The “real estate activities rose to the level of a trade or business because they were continuous and regular and designed to produce income.” Not only are partnerships
holding the real estate subject to liability, but the liability can also run personally to the individual partners. The Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals has recognized that holding
shares of stock or bonds in publicly traded companies was a “personal investment”, not a trade or business.
ERISA also provides another potential attack on employer long-term planning actions. Section 1392(c) provides that, “if a principal purpose of any transaction is to evade or
avoid [withdrawal] liability…this part shall be applied (and liability shall be determined and collected)
without regard to such transaction.” This statutory provision has been
invoked by multi-employer funds to invalidate asset transfers.

Courts have also considered breach of fiduciary duty claims against officers who have discretion to direct funds to be paid to other creditors instead of the fringe benefits
funds. Determination of fiduciary status may depend on fringe benefit plan language and status of contributions.

New penn only has 2000 employees and they are not all union,its a drop in the bucket if new penn is shut down and yrc turns this mess around,without new penn its a good posibility of that happening.its all common sense.

New penn only has 2000 employees and they are not all union,its a drop in the bucket if new penn is shut down and yrc turns this mess around,without new penn its a good posibility of that happening.its all common sense.

Well we agree that newpenn is a drop in the bucket. And thats the whole point as to why if we vote no yrc really wont mind. YRC is not being asked to support us. We support ourselves. But no one yet has showed me how they can close us. I am giving info on how they can't.

Believe what you want about closing us. No one.. And I mean no one..including myself .knows for sure if they can or will. But I sure as hell give my opinon and belief and facts on why they cant or wont.
Time will tell.. But I'll take all bets

Important link from the YRC Board!

http://www.bodmanllp.com/publications/FCRT/899329_1.pdf

This may squash the argument some posters here are pursuing that YRCW can close New Penn whenever it wants without paying big $. It also suggests that the closure of New Penn might void the sale of our three terminals earlier this year. Bring it on!

bank·rupt (bāngk'rŭpt', -rəpt)
n.
Law A debtor that, upon voluntary petition or one invoked by the debtor's creditors, is judged legally insolvent. The debtor's remaining property is then administered for the creditors or is distributed among them.

Now that we know multiple definitions of the word "bankrupt" can you tell us in 100 words or less where you are going with your point? If YRCW enters bankruptcy, it will emerge with some of it's entities intact and operating. My point (backed up with the link) was that closure of New Penn by YRCW invokes a pension withdrawal liability that will be charged to YRCW. Also affected are the three terminals sold to Pyle. A bankruptcy court can void the sales due to YRCW attempting to transfer assets that would be used to pay pension withdrawal liability. Are you following this? If not then hang on for newpenn107 to get here when his shift is up!

You must be 107s shadow,is he your idol.those sales are done,they used that money to pay back some creditors,they did nothing wrong there.long puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke,you two should get a room.

You failed to mention if yrc gos into bankruptcy they dont have to pay that.

You must not read my entire post when I post. If You did then you would see I am not talking about YRC. I am talking about NewPenn!!!
If yrc doesn't pass the vote then yes. I believe they will file bankruptcy. My point is... I believe the yrc vote will pass. But the newpenn vote should not.
And even if YRC does file bankruptcy then they have to sell assets, Just like GM sold assets. And believe what you want, but newpenn in just its name is an asset.

I know where #22 is and what local they are. You telling me they only get 3 weeks after 18 years???
But it all may be a moot point.. because now I am hearing even though newpenn votes seperate, the total will be lumped in with yrc...sounds like bull ::shit:: to me. But you never know with the ::shit:: deals the IBT is making.
And trucker999....if you know your TM so well , ask him what he was told to tell his employees if they asked about the vote or any questions regarding newpenn. No . I'll tell you what he was told to do. He was told to tell the employees they should vote yes!
And thats a fact from a source better than any you will ever know.

http://www.bodmanllp.com/publications/FCRT/899329_1.pdf

This may squash the argument some posters here are pursuing that YRCW can close New Penn whenever it wants without paying big $. It also suggests that the closure of New Penn might void the sale of our three terminals earlier this year. Bring it on!

I'm not trying to butt in and I don't know what amount that you might consider to be a big $. But here is some information that you might be able to use for comparison.

When USF shut down Red Star in May 2004 I don't know how many retirees they were responsible for but it only had 400 active Teamster employees in local 560's pension fund. USF paid over $35 million in withdrawal liabilities just to settle with local 560. Withdrawing from a pension fund isn't cheap.

I cant argue with you newpenn 107,according to np1 you know it all.
When did I ever post that? If I did then feel free to quote me. You don't bring much to this board except false accusations and baseless opinions. I respect np107 for his informative posts backed up with factual evidence. While we may not agree on some things, it has never turned to childish name calling or the kind of immature retorts you have posted recently. If you want to have a mature discussion about the facts , you know where to find me.

I'm not trying to butt in and I don't know what amount that you might consider to be a big $. But here is some information that you might be able to use for comparison.

When USF shut down Red Star in May 2004 I don't know how many retirees they were responsible for but it only had 400 active Teamster employees in local 560's pension fund. USF paid over $35 million in withdrawal liabilities just to settle with local 560. Withdrawing from a pension fund isn't cheap.

Thank you for sharing that information. It would be safe to assume YRCW ended up on the hook for that $35 million either as part of the USF purchase price, or as new owner of the surviving USF entities.