ABF | Pension

Would you vote to opt out of CSPF

• stay in my current plan!

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • open for change!

Votes: 40 67.8%

• Total voters
The fund is going bankrupt. Anyone with commonsense can see the writing on the wall. The trend will only change if the pool of those paying into the pension grows substantially. Going from 26.8 Billion to 17.6 Billion in four years says everything you need to know. And yes, the fund increased its assets by a little in 2009 when the dow went up almost 19%. Wall St closes out '09 with best gains since 2003 | Reuters The fund lost essentially the same amount in 2011 eventhough the dow was up 5.5% for the year. Dow ends 2011 up 5%; S&P 500 finishes flat- MSN Money Again, a very troubling sign that the market is up but the pension asset base went down.
There are troubling signs all around us. I'm glad you can call a 2 BILLION DOLLAR increase a small increase. What you failed again to do was acknowledge that the fund did this while receiving no yrc payments. And that the fund was able to offset the lack of contributions and still grow by over 2 BILLION DOLLARS. You have not seen the funds forecast since the yrc blood letting have you? You have no idea how much the fund is shrinking or growing do you? If you have this information please post the links for all of us to read. I will be waiting for your information with your personal relationships with those high ranking IBT people and all. YOUR AWAITING BROTHER ALWAYS!

F.Y.I., That guy being me, said the CSPF has average a 2.2 Billion loss since 2008. If you can find a post by me stating otherwise, please post. My quote is accurate

Is it as accurate as this post by you?

I believe the last red zone mailing indicated the CSPF was funded at 37%.

Now...why don't you you try to live up to your own advice like you stated below????

JUST THE FACTS MODERATOR MULER!

The fund is going bankrupt. Anyone with commonsense can see the writing on the wall. The trend will only change if the pool of those paying into the pension grows substantially. Going from 26.8 Billion to 17.6 Billion in four years says everything you need to know. And yes, the fund increased its assets by a little in 2009 when the dow went up almost 19%. Wall St closes out '09 with best gains since 2003 | Reuters The fund lost essentially the same amount in 2011 eventhough the dow was up 5.5% for the year. Dow ends 2011 up 5%; S&P 500 finishes flat- MSN Money Again, a very troubling sign that the market is up but the pension asset base went down.

Mr gloom and doom. Your like the boy that cries wolf. After reading your post I find it hard to believe anything you say I really hate to tell you this, but the world isn't going to end yet. If the fund does go bankrupt and it won't, it will be because of poor management, and yes it will also be the teamsters fault, because of all there bad decisions that has brought us to this point. It goes hand in hand, it is not the abf teamsters fault. Sorry about your luck but we are not about to give up our pensions as some are pushing for.

Mr gloom and doom. Your like the boy that cries wolf. After reading your post I find it hard to believe anything you say I really hate to tell you this, but the world isn't going to end yet. If the fund does go bankrupt and it won't, it will be because of poor management, and yes it will also be the teamsters fault, because of all there bad decisions that has brought us to this point. It goes hand in hand, it is not the abf teamsters fault. Sorry about your luck but we are not about to give up our pensions as some are pushing for.

Mr. gloom and doom...I like that Papajohn...lol

What I would like to hear is why the self proclaimed experienced debater nothumblenough explain is why he decided to join a company that...in his mind was doomed to fail?

ABF has lost $68 million the last five years. If you need to review the documentation, go to page 4 of this thread, post 57. It spells it out rather clearly. This is also why the stock price continues to fall.

Ok, I have an interview at an ABF terminal in the south but am concerned about this talk about sleepers. Worked at Yellow for ten years and have no interest in returning to them (sleepers) no matter what the money. Is ABF going to sleepers? If so, what terminals will they be based out of? Why on earth would they finally give into the sleeper game?

Any input would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Also...why didn't you take your own input here and go elswhere for a job?

ABF has lost $68 million the last five years. If you need to review the documentation, go to page 4 of this thread, post 57. It spells it out rather clearly. This is also why the stock price continues to fall.

AP: 10 highest-paid U.S. CEOs
Figures according to AP analysis of Standard & Poor’s 500 companies. Includes firms that had the same CEO for all of 2010 and 2011 and that filed SEC proxy statements between Jan. 1 and April 30.
AP’s compensation formula totals salary, perks, bonuses, preferential interest rates on pay set aside for later, and company estimates for the value of stock options and stock awards on the day they were granted last year.
1.DAVID SIMON, Simon Property Group, $137.2 million, up 458%
2.LESLIE MOONVES, CBS, $68.4M, up 20%
3.DAVID M. ZASLAV, Discovery Communications, $52.4M, up 23%
4.SANJAY K. JHA, Motorola Mobility, $47.2M, up 262%
5.PHILIPPE P. DAUMAN, Viacom, $43.1M, down 49%
6.DAVID M. COTE, Honeywell International, $35.7 M, up 135%
7.ROBERT A. IGER, Walt Disney, $31.4M, up 12%
8.CLARENCE P. CAZALOT JR., Marathon Oil, $29.9 M, up 239%
9.JOHN P. DAANE, Altera, $29.6,M, up 278%
10.ALAN MULALLY, Ford, $29.5M, up 11%
Source: Equilar

Typical CEO made $9.6 million last year, AP study finds

That's because the stock awards are being tied more often to company performance. In those instances, CEOs can't cash in the shares right away: They have to meet goals first, like boosting profit to a certain level.

And that is done by persuading the workers to accept less!!!!

It is easy for union officers to ensure that their pension plans are well-funded. The officers make
the essential business decisions for the union as employer. Union officers know—or are in a position to
know, if they engage competent accountants—how much they should pay into their own pension plan.
They control the allocation of union dues to the union’s several categories of expenditures, although
some unions may have procedures for budgetary review by rank-and-file, or at least a members’ committee.From year to year, union officers, with the help of technical staff experts, such as accountants,
can improve deficient pension plan funding more easily than a corporation can.
Since their own retirement is affected, union leaders have an incentive to ensure that their future is
secure before looking to the general union funds. They may spend more effort tracking and correcting
pension funding for officers’ pensions. Unions are fans of “pay-for-performance” for
corporate executives. They argue that a CEO ought to be punished, or at least not rewarded, for poor
outcomes—flat or declining profits. They decry such practices as golden parachutes and stock option
repricing. But it is clear that unions are not structured in a way that best advantage their members. The
leaders do not have incentives to ensure that the national pension fund is well-managed because their
own future is not at stake.There is intuitive sense in giving a manager a personal interest in the future performance of the company he manages. In the same way, it might make sense to put union leaders’ pension funds in the same boat as the funding for the rank-and-file. By giving them a personal stake in the future of the pension fund, the unions would push their leaders to weigh the costs and benefits of benefit increases and thus to make better decisions at the bargaining table.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=teamsters%20union%20officials%20pensions%20are%20guaranteed&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CEcQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hudson.org%2Ffiles%2Fpublications%2FUnionVsPrivatePensionPlans.pdf&ei=WuqwULXfHIPQ2wX_q4HwBA&usg=AFQjCNHN1ffQ9UdWjaFXwjk5rLT1fMmeBA

it might make sense to put union leaders’ pension funds in the same boat as the funding for the rank-and-file. By giving them a personal stake in the future of the pension fund

Sounds like a good plan to me!!!

I must be getting under your skin. Going back to my first couple of posts. Wait, this kills the Moderator Muler narrative about me being a plant from managment. Which is it?

Ok...I got your first three posts...

Thanks for putting the poll together. I am open for change. Every contract I have voted on since 2001 has rapidly increased our pension contribution while our wages have struggled to keep up with inflation. And still no pension resolution.

It was explained to me many years ago the multiemployer pension plan mimicks many strong men trying to lift a very heavy object. Every time someone stops lifting(as when a union LTL goes out of business, too many examples to cite) the burdon falls on those still lifting the object. In the days when most of LTL freight companies were union, this model functioned well because the former employee of the bankrupt union company could go to work for another union company. That new union company would then start paying into the pension, and after a few years, the employee would be fully vested again in the pension because it continued to receive his contributions. Unfortunately, the unionized percentage of the LTL is a fraction of what is was when this multiemployer plan was first offered. Therefore, nobody is able to sustain the substantial weight of the pension. It will ultimately crush the remaining companies still trying to lift.

There are many ethical question such as: Am I voting to abandon those teamsters currently retired or their spouses currently getting a pension check? Should ABF be contractibly liable for those teamsters who never worked a day for ABF? How can the union allow one company to pay a fraction of its contribution and still allow it to compete against a company that has honorably paid its obligations? The list goes on, but answers are not so easy.

Muler, in your opinion, who is the "They" in your statement "they broke it, they should fix it?"

So you have great anger at these officials. Does it reason that the ones being punished are both ABF and its employees by increasing the contribution to levels that cannot be sustained in a competitive LTL market where non-union companies do not pay into the pension?

Now...tell me...just what does this prove...I can't wait for this reply...lol

Well it proves you are so worked up you are pulling my oldest post in these forums. In your younger days, could you find more productive ways to work out your frustration?:smile:

Well it proves you are so worked up you are pulling my oldest post in these forums. In your younger days, could you find more productive ways to work out your frustration?:smile:

roflmao.gif
Yep...I'm all worked up alright...you really showed me
roflmao.gif

Let's get back to business...answer my questions...will ya?

Thanks for putting the poll together. I am open for change. Every contract I have voted on since 2001 has rapidly increased our pension contribution while our wages have struggled to keep up with inflation. And still no pension resolution.

It was explained to me many years ago the multiemployer pension plan mimicks many strong men trying to lift a very heavy object. Every time someone stops lifting(as when a union LTL goes out of business, too many examples to cite) the burdon falls on those still lifting the object. In the days when most of LTL freight companies were union, this model functioned well because the former employee of the bankrupt union company could go to work for another union company. That new union company would then start paying into the pension, and after a few years, the employee would be fully vested again in the pension because it continued to receive his contributions. Unfortunately, the unionized percentage of the LTL is a fraction of what is was when this multiemployer plan was first offered. Therefore, nobody is able to sustain the substantial weight of the pension. It will ultimately crush the remaining companies still trying to lift.

There are many ethical question such as: Am I voting to abandon those teamsters currently retired or their spouses currently getting a pension check? Should ABF be contractibly liable for those teamsters who never worked a day for ABF? How can the union allow one company to pay a fraction of its contribution and still allow it to compete against a company that has honorably paid its obligations? The list goes on, but answers are not so easy.

I remember back in like 1974 when I was saying to the older teamster brothers.....hey guys I want that money on my paycheck....and they are telling me we need to increase our pension contribution to enhance our retirement pensions.....at the time I really didn't get what they were saying....now.....when 2006 came around and I retired at 53 years old out of the western conference....I finally understood what they meant....now you all can do....and say anything you want....you won't be hurting the retirees pensions by changing your own direction today, but you will hurt yours.....just food for thought....central states is a different situation than western conference....good day.

I remember back in like 1974 when I was saying to the older teamster brothers.....hey guys I want that money on my paycheck....and they are telling me we need to increase our pension contribution to enhance our retirement pensions.....at the time I really didn't get what they were saying....now.....when 2006 came around and I retired at 53 years old out of the western conference....I finally understood what they meant....now you all can do....and say anything you want....you won't be hurting the retirees pensions by changing your own direction today, but you will hurt yours.....just food for thought....central states is a different situation than western conference....good day.

I know what you mean slugbug...when I first started I could of cared less about the pension contribution and rate...it just seemed too far down the road to even care about and would take forever and a day to get there...but as the years slowly went by...my realization of just how important the pension issue really was became clearer and clearer with each passing year.

I'm glad to hear that you had the opportunity to retire at the young age of 53 and I hope that you are enjoying your retirement and wish you the best of luck for good health for many years to come.

Your post says it all as to why the pension funds were started. Hoffa sr. knew that a Truck Driver or Dockworker had very little if any chance of making it to 65 healthy. But he also knew that many would not put aside the money to be able to retire. The funds are a safety net for hundreds of thousands of Teamsters and their families. There are those that come on this forum and cry the sky is falling and want Teamsters to just throw away their futures. They speak of dumping a fund that they have contributed to for years for what? Because they think the company is going to give them the money in a raise? They would be wrong! ABF would as they put it in the BEG BACK PLAN put the money back in the company coffers. That's right they would take the money from our pensions and give it to themselves. Why are some who say they are one of us want any chance of a pension thrown out the window. Now some believe that we would be better off with a 401k. Well there are several problems with that. ONE being once ABF was out of the pension funds and into a 401k they would have no pension liabilities and they could cry DISTRESSED and opt out of any 401k payments at will. No the funds have to be fixed and we need our pensions. Here is a little information for the sky is falling kid. ABF was one of the stocks that CSPF held for years. So our pension fund was helping our company but you never posted that did you? Yes we have had the wrong people in charge for years that have driven our pension funds down. This was not our fault the companies and the IBT placed these people there and it is them that need to fix what they have broken. Me and my Brothers did without to have that money contributed for us and we will not give it away I assure you of that. If you have any question as to how it feels to not have a pension just ask a yrc Driver that is not getting credits for his days worked and suffers the age 65 penalties. And for the poster that is crying that we have not kept up with inflation. If you can not live on $25.00 an hour you may have a spending problem. AS for me I am open to any talks that promises to match and maintain my pension as it is now promised in the CSPF anything less is unacceptable. YOUR PENSION LOVING BROTHER ALWAYS!

Good post slug, I remember when a raise went into the pension, can't remember exact date. The company nor the teamster had no control over it. Central States Fund did quite well when Goldman Sachs was running it. It lost a couple billion since they were asked to resign because many thought they wanted to put YRC out of business. Big Wall St banks are masterminds at making money before the great '07-'09 financial crash brought them down, brought YRC down, brought CSPF down..brought the country down. Had nothing to do with mismanagement..all to do with the credit/housing melt down..trillions of dollars of wealth was lost.
I lost a billion myself
hissyfit.gif

Good post slug, I remember when a raise went into the pension, can't remember exact date. The company nor the teamster had no control over it. Central States Fund did quite well when Goldman Sachs was running it. It lost a couple billion since they were asked to resign because many thought they wanted to put YRC out of business. Big Wall St banks are masterminds at making money before the great '07-'09 financial crash brought them down, brought YRC down, brought CSPF down..brought the country down. Had nothing to do with mismanagement..all to do with the credit/housing melt down..trillions of dollars of wealth was lost.
I lost a billion myself
hissyfit.gif
You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Hell we lost 6 BILLION DOLLARS in one year during Goldman Sachs tenure. Come on joe many funds gained or held their own just look at the Western Conference. And the only difference is the people running them. Quit making excuses because you are a hoffa huger. You know it makes you look so weak when you defend people that have watched as our union as went down under their watch. So don't tell us your hoffa BS we have all heard it. He won because many don't care anymore 18% voted. That in its self says it all about hoffa his members just don't care. And that is a direct reflection of hoffa. YOUR NON hoffa BACKING BROTHER ALWAYS!