ABF | Pension

Would you vote to opt out of CSPF

• stay in my current plan!

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • open for change!

Votes: 40 67.8%

• Total voters
Tyson is a joke, as a matter of fact the Teamster union as a whole is a joke. They only have one more freight line to destroy and they will have that completed as soon as the contract negotiations are finalized. ABF will be expected to carry the full weight of the failing pension taking care of thousands of ex Teamsters that never even worked for ABF and at the same time ensuring its own employees will be around 80 years old before retirement would be possible. WAKE UP ABF EMPLOYEES, don't let the teamsters destroy your employer. The teamsters is run by good ole boys most of them have no more than a high school education especially at the local union level. I once was a proud member of the Teamsters union but although I am still a member I am ashamed of them now with their "brotha in law" "mob" mentality. ABF needs out of the so called multi employer pension or they are going to go out of business plain and simple. They cannot afford to pay for these ex-teamsters retirements and stay in business period! The funny thing is that 99% of you lazy ass Teamsters would not make it in the real world working at a non union freight line, you simply don't have the work ethics to do so so why wouldn't you want to help the company out and demand that the union ease up on ABFs pension obligations?

What did you do, cut and paste the same moron post from another thread? Are you too lazy to come up with something else? Or are you just that stupid?

The answer is easy! ABF must be free from the current pension obligations! My family is more important than any Teamster brother that I have ever known or not know by quantum leaps. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar. Some of you here spew that "I love my Teamster brother BS" but in this day and age my family is the only thing I am worried about. ABF needs relief from this disaster of a pension or they are toast. end of story

What did you do, cut and paste the same moron post from another thread? Are you too lazy to come up with something else? Or are you just that stupid?

You sir are the moron, I posted the post twice. Let me guess, you are one of those "old school, one track mind teamsters stuck in the brother in law mob mentality of the past"? Let me also guess that like the Teamster organization you support that Communist Obama?

The answer is easy! ABF must be free from the current pension obligations! My family is more important than any Teamster brother that I have ever known or not know by quantum leaps. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar. Some of you here spew that "I love my Teamster brother BS" but in this day and age my family is the only thing I am worried about. ABF needs relief from this disaster of a pension or they are toast. end of story
Read the post. We are looking for ideas not smart guys spewing insults at people. Now if you have something to add please do so. If you want trouble then I would suggest you try another forum. He like everybody else on this site has a right to their opinions.
If you had read the post on this thread you would have seen where the executives of ABF and ABC have been cashing in on millions in pension money.
And Brothers want to know why they can keep enjoying increases and we are looking for probable decreases.
And just for your comment on us older Teamsters. We never talked to our ELDER BROTHERS like you have just done. We fought for the benefits YOUR FAMILY NOW ENJOYS! And you come on this forum talking down to them. You should be ashamed. But I have seen and heard your type. You will not last in this business if you keep that attitude. Again we are looking for viable options for OUR UPCOMING CONTRACT not loud mouth insults. Now if you have an idea post it. If you don't we will see you later MAYBE! Another thing wise guy. If we had not stuck together as Brothers you would not have a good paying job at ABF. YOUR DISAPPOINTED BROTHER ALWAYS!

Read the post. We are looking for ideas not smart guys spewing insults at people. Now if you have something to add please do so. If you want trouble then I would suggest you try another forum. He like everybody else on this site has a right to their opinions.
If you had read the post on this thread you would have seen where the executives of ABF and ABC have been cashing in on millions in pension money.
And Brothers want to know why they can keep enjoying increases and we are looking for probable decreases.
And just for your comment on us older Teamsters. We never talked to our ELDER BROTHERS like you have just done. We fought for the benefits YOUR FAMILY NOW ENJOYS! And you come on this forum talking down to them. You should be ashamed. But I have seen and heard your type. You will not last in this business if you keep that attitude. Again we are looking for viable options for OUR UPCOMING CONTRACT not loud mouth insults. Now if you have an idea post it. If you don't we will see you later MAYBE! Another thing wise guy. If we had not stuck together as Brothers you would not have a good paying job at ABF. YOUR DISAPPOINTED BROTHER ALWAYS!

I have been in the teamster union for 21 years so I have lasted and will continue to do so. I do enjoy the benefits and the protection that the Teamsters afford me but the Teamsters refuse to evolve with the changing times like everyone else has to do to survive. I am merely stating that ABF should not be made to support the current "MULTI" employer pension. My solution would be to allow ABF to take care of ONLY its employees from here on out and I suggest to you and everyone else that reads this post that ABF will not survive another 3 years if they are to increase pension payments. I did not start "trouble" that slim person insulted me directly first, I was simply defending myself with the same kind of language he used on me but I see the brother in law rule applies here as it does at the ABF terminals.

I have been in the teamster union for 21 years so I have lasted and will continue to do so. I do enjoy the benefits and the protection that the Teamsters afford me but the Teamsters refuse to evolve with the changing times like everyone else has to do to survive. I am merely stating that ABF should not be made to support the current "MULTI" employer pension. My solution would be to allow ABF to take care of ONLY its employees from here on out and I suggest to you and everyone else that reads this post that ABF will not survive another 3 years if they are to increase pension payments. I did not start "trouble" that slim person insulted me directly first, I was simply defending myself with the same kind of language he used on me but I see the brother in law rule applies here as it does at the ABF terminals.
OK now your sounding like you will be just fine.Slim is a good man. He fights many battles but if you were in need of a good man to watch your back you would choose him. Don't let first encounters destroy your chance to learn from someone. I have a friend on this site. His name is Docker. He is very easy going and lets people take advantage of him. But he is real smart and funny. We are not here to break ABF we are here to make sure they help make all of our families live better. So sit back and post ideas and listen to everyone else and we will have a great contract when all is said and done. I raised 3 children on Teamsters ideas and 9 grandsons have enjoyed the Teamster benefits. And I hope to help you to do the same for your family. YOUR GLAD YOU SETTLED DOWN BROTHER ALWAYS!

OK now your sounding like you will be just fine.Slim is a good man. He fights many battles but if you were in need of a good man to watch your back you would choose him. Don't let first encounters destroy your chance to learn from someone. I have a friend on this site. His name is Docker. He is very easy going and lets people take advantage of him. But he is real smart and funny. We are not here to break ABF we are here to make sure they help make all of our families live better. So sit back and post ideas and listen to everyone else and we will have a great contract when all is said and done. I raised 3 children on Teamsters ideas and 9 grandsons have enjoyed the Teamster benefits. And I hope to help you to do the same for your family. YOUR GLAD YOU SETTLED DOWN BROTHER ALWAYS!

I agree with Muler on this Slystone...I believe Slim is a good man! There are so many times that things get started off on the wrong foot between two posters but usually ends up working out once the two work out their differences. Muler has this uncanny ability to identify a persons true personality just from their posts on these forums because he is one of the very few that knows me for my true self...not the part about being smart and funny but for me being an easy going guy.

Remember...even good and easy going Teamsters get upset when statements like this are made by a brother:
the Teamster union as a whole is a joke

I'm not a Tyson or Junior fan either but to claim the whole Teamster union as a joke just because we disagree with some that represent us and some that still have...as you say...the "mob mentality"...does seem to get all Teamsters upset. I may not always agree with the IBT...and some of my brothers and sisters but I'm still a proud Teamster and in being one...will always state my opinion whether it being popular or not. And like you...I'm not an Obama supporter...but that doesn't mean that I think America is a joke either.

You sir are the moron, I posted the post twice. Let me guess, you are one of those "old school, one track mind teamsters stuck in the brother in law mob mentality of the past"? Let me also guess that like the Teamster organization you support that Communist Obama?

At that point you had a posting history of 2. And they were the exact same post. In it you question the union driver's work ethic and called them lazy. When you were too lazy to type a new post. As for who I vote for, you don't have a clue who I do and don't support. And NOBODY tells me who to pull the lever for. You need to get your brain out of talk radio. It seems to have warped your idea of what the unions are and for.

Oh, but they do evolve with the changing times. This isn't pre-dereg days where Slim is still living. Slim is a dinosaur. This is an era a long and distinct period of stagnation where deregulation is weighing down the unionized survivors of deregulation..who are unable to raise rates to cover costs and insure a hefty profit. You can stick all that solidarity talk because it just won't work this time. The IBT will not allow YRC or ABF to close. Unfortunately the cost of all of this job saving will be painful. Painful to what degree is the only question. But there will be pain.
“Behind every beautiful thing, there's some kind of pain.”
― Bob Dylan

Somewhere you have jumped the track. Let me spell it out so as not to have you misunderstand my position on the pension matter. First off you started by implying that I posted that ABF should pay a higher contribution. I then ask that you post my quote on that matter. You could not because I HAVE NEVER SAID THAT. Then you come back with your last post and it was even more off the wall. And if you had ever read even one of my post you would have seen that I am always saying yrc the company and the IBT have wronged ABF Teamsters in the market place and the pension funds. For you to even think other wise is beyond my comprehension. And as for waiting until it comes into our house. Well again you have Failed to read my post over THE YEARS! I have been calling for reform and major changes and the only way to do that is a new direction in the Teamsters leadership. I can't make you vote and I can't tell you how to vote.
But now you come on here and talk about the 500 pound GORILLA! Well sir let me tell you where I stand on this matter once and for all so you won't be so confused.

I am a 35 year Teamster. I have worked for less hourly wages so the company would make a monetary CONTRIBUTION into the CSPF on my behalf so that I would have a DEFINED PENSION when I retired. I have done this for 35 years.
In this time ABF and all the other trucking companies have had representatives on the board of this fund. They have used this fund to help struggling competitors out the door when they could not afford to contribute their negotiated rate. These same Trustees allowed UPS out of the fund and they also allowed yrc to miss payments and to defer out of the fund and then they allowed them to pay 25% of the 2009 rate.

They ABF and all the other employer members of the CSPF did this, not me and the thousands of other Teamster fund members. They allowed the investors to invest our retirements not us. They allow the $80,000,000.00 to $120,000,000.00 in administrative cost annually for each fund that's right it cost that much for them to run each fund.

You cry about paying the orphans that never worked for ABF how about the HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS WE PAY OUT TO THE NON TEAMSTERS THAT HAVE NEVER DRIVEN A TRUCK OR WORKED THE DOCK EACH YEAR?

How about the almost $400,000.00 we pay the guy that is appointed to head the fund. We take penalties and reductions and the ABF and IBT Trustees keep approving raises and benefit increases for these people.
And you talk about a 500 pound GORILLA!
Now for where I stand on the pension matter.
We the Teamster Rank and File have met all our OBLIGATIONS TO THE FUNDS we have went to work everyday and watched as our body's have grown old and injured from this work we do. We have jobs that by all accounts shorten our days on this planet. We risk our lives everyday in a highly dangerous job.
We are given the task to see that AMERICA stays supplied with the things to make and keep her the greatest nation in the world. And for doing this our lives are shortened and our bodies are riddled with life changing injuries.
And for this all we ask is that everyone else LIVE UP TO THEIR OBLIGATIONS!
I have never said ABF should pay a higher CONTRIBUTION RATE. What I am saying is if ABF wants out of the funds they will have to make sure that their Teamsters are protected and that all their years of service is accounted for NO MATTER WHAT WHEN RETIREMENT COMES!
ABF is not completely innocent in this CSPF MESS! But they are not the villains either.
You must understand that we have paid our way and I believe any discussion on a pension withdrawal has to encompass a GOLDEN PARACHUTE for the ABF TEAMSTERS INVOLVED! After all I'm sure our leaders have a GOLDEN PARACHUTE Claus in their contracts. On this matter we should agree. After all our ABF Teamsters are not ORPHANS. ABF Teamsters have to understand that any change in the contributions can and will trigger a catastrophic chain of events for the ABF Rank and File Teamsters.
Every decision has to be reviewed and determined as to not destroy those that have EARNED their pension and for those that will someday be looking to retire.
No I have never ask that ABF pay more. I have just always ask that ABF take care of those that have TAKEN CARE OF ABF!
If you still have a problem understanding where I stand just feel free to ask.
YOUR HOPING YOU NOW UNDERSTAND BROTHER ALWAYS!

WE ARE ABF!

The 500 pound Gorilla exists because both you and I did not "fight the good fight" within our own union decades ago. The numbers didn't add up when CF, NW, P.I.E., Churchill, Transcon and many others were still paying into the pension. We allowed what was essentially a sit on our ass and not organize because its too hard attitude by our elected union leaders. Excuses were rewarded with re-election.

Fear is what drove the majority of teamsters to re-elect these bozos. Nobody wanted to lose a hard-earned pension. The multiemployer pension was doomed the moment non-union carriers broke into the LTL market. Our leaders knew the vulnerabilities yet they would not stand up in the union halls and speak the truth about the situation. Now it is too late.

The multiemployer pension was doomed the moment non-union carriers broke into the LTL market. Our leaders knew the vulnerabilities yet they would not stand up in the union halls and speak the truth about the situation. Now it is too late.

No, it's not too late. The teamster pensions are under attack. Changes are being forced fed. The White House occupants need to be changed not the IBT. Everything relates to the economic crusher in da White House

ABF'S stock down to 9.37 today,which is a 52 week low.How low will this stock go? the stock hasnt been this low since 2001.

YRCW's stock is at about $5.35. Down from an adjusted high of around $480,000. What's up with that?

And i woukldnt buy that stock in a million years,But ABF is still making money.Im seriously thinking about buying some but im going to wait ,i have a feeling we havent seen the bottom.

And i woukldnt buy that stock in a million years,But ABF is still making money.Im seriously thinking about buying some but im going to wait ,i have a feeling we havent seen the bottom.
Im in the process of buying a yamaha rhino if i wasent i would invest a bunch in this stock....

ABF'S stock down to 9.37 today,which is a 52 week low.How low will this stock go? the stock hasnt been this low since 2001.

Take a look at both the links, which show a five year history. As the numbers point out, the five year trend is a bad one and explains why ABF is trading below $10. Pay particular attention to net income!

ABFS Annual Income Statement - Arkansas Best Corp. Annual Financials

ODFL Annual Income Statement - Old Dominion Freight Line Inc. Annual Financials

Total Revenue 8.71 Billion for the five years for ABF, 7.55 Billion for Old Dominion

Net Income -68 Million loss for the five years for ABF, 388 million profit for Old Dominion.

I have a difficult time calling ABF profitable.

These numbers are just what the Dr. Ordered for negotiating season.

The 500 pound Gorilla exists because both you and I did not "fight the good fight" within our own union decades ago. The numbers didn't add up when CF, NW, P.I.E., Churchill, Transcon and many others were still paying into the pension. We allowed what was essentially a sit on our ass and not organize because its too hard attitude by our elected union leaders. Excuses were rewarded with re-election.

Fear is what drove the majority of teamsters to re-elect these bozos. Nobody wanted to lose a hard-earned pension. The multiemployer pension was doomed the moment non-union carriers broke into the LTL market. Our leaders knew the vulnerabilities yet they would not stand up in the union halls and speak the truth about the situation. Now it is too late.
I keep hearing what is wrong but I never hear how to fix anything. If you are willing to throw your pension out the window that is your business. But I will tell you one thing. They are not throwing nothing out from their benefits. I did not work 35 years and all them make millions from me only to now sit and watch it be thrown away. CSPF made money last year for those who didn't know. So please do your homework before you go off the deep end of the pool. There are many ways to fix the pensions and throwing them out the window is not one of them.

Take a look at both the links, which show a five year history. As the numbers point out, the five year trend is a bad one and explains why ABF is trading below $10. Pay particular attention to net income!

ABFS Annual Income Statement - Arkansas Best Corp. Annual Financials

ODFL Annual Income Statement - Old Dominion Freight Line Inc. Annual Financials

Total Revenue 8.71 Billion for the five years for ABF, 7.55 Billion for Old Dominion

Net Income -68 Million loss for the five years for ABF, 388 million profit for Old Dominion.

I have a difficult time calling ABF profitable.
I did not see where you posted the start up money ABC paid for Value Freight,or Moving Solutions, Also we bought that moving company and lets not forget that $180,000,000.00 we spent on Panther. Not to mention the more than one thousand new tractors and the several thousand new trailers that was purchased. And since you are at it why don't you tell all our Brothers that the numbers ABC post are combined from all their subsidiaries. That's right if the planes need new tires guess who pays for them. I did not see where you posted the millions ABC spent on New cubes. I did not see where you posted the over $100,000,000.00 they spent on stock dividends to themselves during a recession. I did not see where you posted they have given themselves hundreds of thousands in raises millions in pensions for the executives. But all I hear from you is we need to give our money back to ABC. Are you kidding? I will tell you what just give me what Wes got and I will walk away happy. YOUR LOOKING FOR ANSWERS AND NOT PACKING IT IN BROTHER ALWAYS!