ABF | Pension

Would you vote to opt out of CSPF

• stay in my current plan!

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • open for change!

Votes: 40 67.8%

• Total voters
ABF stock near 13 year lows @ 9.06 per share
Sly don't worry. I have been here when it has gone down to $4.00.
Notice they have not yet used their stock options . So don't worry. We are fine remember we just spent $180,000,000.00 for a company. It is all smoke and mirrors for right now. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

Muler, Docker is your lapdog. It was not a compliment. The two of you have done this type of work before and many who read through truckingboards also get it. That might explain why your position on the poll is getting 30%, and the position I have been arguing for is getting 70%.

Again, thanks for the dialogue. I appreciate the opportunity to discuss matters important to the teamster union.
You again have misunderstood. I have been in contact with some that voted. They voted for change meaning they would be open to ABF being responsible for their pension in order for ABF to get relief. So your thought pattern again was way off. One has to ask themselves why someone would quit yrc and come to ABF and ask for the same penalties. Sounds company to me. Just Saying. YOUR 100% TEAMSTER BROTHER ALWAYS!

I dunno. As I see it the dockworker is a pretty important position. They have the ability to destroy freight or handle it claim free, load it into the right trailer or the wrong trailer, notice discrepancies in the weight, or not, get more freight into the trailer, or less. I see the role of the dockworker as the one that can make the biggest difference in the bottom line. Sure, city drivers play almost as important a role for the same reasons but for most of the problems the dock is the happening place. And if a road driver destroys freight or gets it to the wrong destination he or she will not be around for long.

I agree with you ABFer...I look at it as a team effort and always remember these words that were drilled in my mind many years ago..."A chain is only as strong as its weakest link".

I agree with you ABFer...I look at it as a team effort and always remember these words that were drilled in my mind many years ago..."A chain is only as strong as its weakest link".

The dock is the weak link..the reason FedEx and the other big nons use probably about 50%-60% part time dock help

The dock is the weak link..the reason FedEx and the other big nons use probably about 50%-60% part time dock help

First of all...we don't give a crap how FedEx does anything.And second of all...if you knew anything at all about dock work...you would know that experience is the best asset for efficient operations...especially when it comes to claims. So you see...we're not there for the recognition by the management and for you management brown nosers. We accept that fact of being low man on the totem pole...we are there to get the job done in a timely...proficient and hopefully claim free manner.That is enough to satisfy us...as long as we give them a fair day's work for a fair day's pay. We don't have that need to be praised and admired from management.

First of all...we don't give a crap how FedEx does anything.And second of all...if you knew anything at all about dock work...you would know that experience is the best asset for efficient operations...especially when it comes to claims. So you see...we're not there for the recognition by the management and for you management brown nosers. We accept that fact of being low man on the totem pole...we are there to get the job done in a timely...proficient and hopefully claim free manner.That is enough to satisfy us...as long as we give them a fair day's work for a fair day's pay. We don't have that need to be praised and admired from management.

I forgot, you are 'We the ABF teamsters'. But remember, it's not how good you think you are..it's how much you cost that counts, it's how competitive you are. I believe they have a need to cut cost starting from the bottom of the hierarchy. You and your side kick should learn to drive Now. that is a fair day's work for a fair day's pay.

DRIVER'S,
Let us not forget our Teamster Brother's who on Labor Day week-end were given there walking paper's by C.F.,there is still a lesson there you should not ever FORGET.
A TEAMSTER FOREVER.

Start looking for a job!

Don't need to, according to most of my Teamster brothers their stock price is part of a massive conspiracy put on by the company to show how they are not doing well so it could not possibly be that the are not in fact not doing well.

I forgot, you are 'We the ABF teamsters'. But remember, it's not how good you think you are..it's how much you cost that counts, it's how competitive you are. I believe they have a need to cut cost starting from the bottom of the hierarchy. You and your side kick should learn to drive Now. that is a fair day's work for a fair day's pay.

Did I say anything about just how good I thought I was? That's when you start to go wrong Joe...when you start to think and believe...that's when you show your ignorance on such matters.Why don't you go and work part time on the dock for a couple of years and get a good sense of the operation from the dock's perspective and then you will know what I meant about experience being the best asset one can have when it comes to dock work.And I'm just not talking about the city dock...go to a break bulk or a DC.Then try and come back with your argument of the 50%-60% part time dock help and how that would cut costs...because right now...you don't have a clue in what you speak.

As for you saying about the city and linehaul drivers being a fair day's work for a fair day's pay...no argument from me there...that's where experience is also very essential for the company's viability. And for the city driver...an additional benefit to the company would be the driver having a great attitude and pleasant personality when it comes to keeping customers...which may be why you lost so many customers to ABF drivers on your route...just saying

You must also remember...from management's point of view...they know that they must pay the price to get and keep good people at the top...so why should it be any different for the bottom. Like I said before...a chain is only as strong as its weakest link!

Don't need to, according to most of my Teamster brothers their stock price is part of a massive conspiracy put on by the company to show how they are not doing well so it could not possibly be that the are not in fact not doing well.

If you really believe that they are in trouble...then just why would they have recently purchased Albert Moving and Panther? Or do you think that they are just that stupid?

As for you saying about the city and linehaul drivers being a fair day's work for a fair day's pay...no argument from me there...that's where experience is also very essential for the company's viability. And for the city driver...an additional benefit to the company would be the driver having a great attitude and pleasant personality when it comes to keeping customers...which may be why you lost so many customers to ABF drivers on your route...just saying

You must also remember...from management's point of view...they know that they must pay the price to get and keep good people at the top...so why should it be any different for the bottom. Like I said before...a chain is only as strong as its weakest link!

Labor costs trump everything. A driver with a CDL Class 8 Haz-Tanker-Triples endorsements will always do well. Let's face it..loading and unloading trailers isn't rocket science. I had the same customers for years
on my peddle. I knew what accounts ABF was after..two of the biggest & and they did get them for awhile. They both came back because I understood the customer factor. Treat them good at all times.

Labor costs trump everything. A driver with a CDL Class 8 Haz-Tanker-Triples endorsements will always do well. Let's face it..loading and unloading trailers isn't rocket science. I had the same customers for years
on my peddle. I knew what accounts ABF was after..two of the biggest & and they did get them for awhile. They both came back because I understood the customer factor. Treat them good at all times.
That may have been true years ago, now all they care about is price....

To say that labor costs trump everything is short sighted and ignorant. I know as well as anyone who works the dock and those who run dock operations how fragile freight is and how important prudent handling of it is. This is what makes the difference between cheap labor and a concerned and valued dockworker. One claim on a shift will easily cost more than a company will save using cheap careless labor.

To say that labor costs trump everything is short sighted and ignorant. I know as well as anyone who works the dock and those who run dock operations how fragile freight is and how important prudent handling of it is. This is what makes the difference between cheap labor and a concerned and valued dockworker. One claim on a shift will easily cost more than a company will save using cheap careless labor.

That's Joe just being Joe again ABFer...lol He's doing what he always does when he comes to our forum...instigating. He's just trying a different angle this time because all of his other attempts have failed.He constantly tries to disrupt our forum by trying to start arguments. He has tried to instigate arguments between ABF and YRC...ABF Teamsters and YRC Teamsters...the union officials and the rank and file...the ones still working and the ones that are retired...and now...trying to get one started between the dock workers and the drivers...he is the sly little devil...isn't he?

So...in conclusion...different tactic...same ole Joe...lol

We know all about Joe...he used to work for YRC...so YRC can do no wrong and that's YRC's management...not his fellow YRC Teamsters of course...which he would hang them out to dry and what I have heard...did just that...that's why they don't even want him on their forum. He hates ABF and the ABF Teamsters...apparently because most of the customers on his route switched over to ABF...and knowing Joe like we all do...one can only wonder why. And even mentioning anything derogatory about his pal Billy boy...gets his feathers all ruffled.When Junior and Tyson speak and yell jump...he says...how high? There's only one part that I can't figure out yet...and that's why he isn't going door to door handing out Obama flyers because Junior said that he was supposed to be part of his army...so why isn't he being Junior's good little trooper campaigning for him instead of doing the exact opposite...criticizing him? Maybe he may of just missed that speech and doesn't realize he's part of Obama's army.

I knew what accounts ABF was after..two of the biggest & and they did get them for awhile. They both came back

One question for you...did they come back before or after you retired?

CSPF would be good with just a couple years of decent returns. There is no better fund out there for teamsters. To even suggest voluntarily getting out shows you are not playing with a full deck. To believe the company views you (dock-men) as valued employees reveals you are not playing with a full deck. That you expect Tyson or Hoffa to play hardball with the carriers at a time like this as Ron Carey did shows how little you know or care about business. This may seem off topic but another 4 years of Obama would drag YRC and ABF out of existence. Smarten up out there. You're living in a fantasy world. Keep letting the company know you want out of CSPF..they will find a way to accommodate you. Let the IBT handle this. You people are dangerous.

Ron Carey playing hardball & not negotiating resulted in the 94 freight strike & the UPS strike. That strike put several carriers out of business & depleted the strike fund. After that four week strike we got less than the companies offered in the December negotiations before the strike. The strike was a combination of stupidity of management & playing "Hardball". Ron Carey would have have better served the Teamsters if the resources spent on the strike would have been used for organizing. The nonunion carriers & Fedex reaped a windfall from the strike & we lost customers we never got back. In the old days when almost all LTL carriers were organized a strike didn't give any carrier an advantage like this strike did the nonunion carriers. I remember that strike well & many shippers had customers waiting for goods that were on trailers & docks. They lost customers & we did too.
That strike hurt labor & the companies. Look at the number of organized companies before the strike & now.
I think we have gotten off the original topic.

Ron Carey playing hardball & not negotiating resulted in the 94 freight strike & the UPS strike. That strike put several carriers out of business & depleted the strike fund. After that four week strike we got less than the companies offered in the December negotiations before the strike. The strike was a combination of stupidity of management & playing "Hardball". Ron Carey would have have better served the Teamsters if the resources spent on the strike would have been used for organizing. The nonunion carriers & Fedex reaped a windfall from the strike & we lost customers we never got back. In the old days when almost all LTL carriers were organized a strike didn't give any carrier an advantage like this strike did the nonunion carriers. I remember that strike well & many shippers had customers waiting for goods that were on trailers & docks. They lost customers & we did too.
That strike hurt labor & the companies. Look at the number of organized companies before the strike & now.
I think we have gotten off the original topic.
Not completely off topic. Because the pension does go hand and hand with the strength of a company. I think the days of a nation wide strike are way far back in the rear view mirror.
If I had to guess I would say that in the future one may see rolling strikes. Where the union may give the company and it's customers advanced notice that a strike on date for the terminals affected in advance.
Therefore not completely loosing a customer just a temporary disruption in a carriers bottom line.
We are not here to harm ABF we are here to see that all are compensated in a way that each can be comfortable with.
Our pensions are a matter that even ABF should be in the forefront fight to preserve. If they can not come up with a plan to protect the years earned then I am concerned with our ability to function as we have in the past.
I think that taking away ones earned livelihood would only breed discontent for the company. When Teamsters see their executives living well and retiring with millions of dollars in retirement benefits it surly has to determine how they do their jobs.

People on the side of giving back screamed when ABF was not allowed to buy out of CSPF prior to the 2008 vote. But hindsight being 20/20 if we had come to an agreement it would have saddled ABF with a more than ONE BILLION DOLLAR LOAN and we all know where that would have landed us when the GREATEST RECESSION SINCE THE DEPRESSION(The Turncoats catch phrase).
ABF I believe could not have survived a ONE BILLION DOLLAR LOAN payment over the last four years. It would have at the very least stopped ABF from buying any new equipment and needed repairs to their terminals. And moral would have been at it's lowest.

We have charted a steady coarse thru troubled times but our journey has not ended yet. We as ABF Teamsters must decide the future for both ABF and our families. It will not be a easy task but it is none the less our RESPONSIBILITY.
So when you read the post of those not involved and just trying to cause trouble just ignore them. Only deal in facts and truths because lies and misinformation will only lead to the wrong decision. YOUR TRUSTING YOU BROTHER ALWAYS!

Muler, you & I think a lot alike. I will probably disagree that if ABF would have been given the chance to opt out of CSPF the company would have been in better financially today. The figure ABF used back then was 750 million to pay their way out of the obligation. I think the actual figure would have been 1billion. ABF had the financing to do that. The figures I saw suggested it would take 6-7 years to break even & then show a savings. The pension obligation is a liability & it is like an albatross around the neck of any company. It makes a company less attractive to investors which I think is one reason our stock is so low now. I don't have the figures now but I know that each year the company contributes a significant amount to fund the various pension funds.
I don't know what the answer is for our brothers that worked for now bankrupt freighlines. I do know that if ABF funded the pension for their employees & are still paying then their employees should have what is owed to them.