New Penn | people near retirement

road hog

TB Lurker
Credits
What scares me are all the older drivers close to retirement that are going to adopt the "Oh well, by the time they get to me, I'll be retired attitude". They've got theirs, because brothers ahead of them covered their backs for years. Now that some are on the other end, they have the "Oh well not my problem" thing going on. If they don't want to look out for everyone, they should've retired, not stayed around to screw their brothers.:smilie_132:

What scares me are all the older drivers close to retirement that are going to adopt the "Oh well, by the time they get to me, I'll be retired attitude". They've got theirs, because brothers ahead of them covered their backs for years. Now that some are on the other end, they have the "Oh well not my problem" thing going on. If they don't want to look out for everyone, they should've retired, not stayed around to screw their brothers.:smilie_132:

I see this everyday and seems to be the state of mind the majority of the people are caught up in.

Guys I have a question. It's not meant to cause any arguments at all.

Do you really see that many senior guys with that attitude or is it that the one you see is so loud and obnoxious that it just seems like it's a lot of them?

I just retired the last of December from ABF and I have to tell you that I personally never felt that none of the problems were mine just because I was about to get out of it.

I'm still very concerned about what you guys and gals decide to do with this new contract proposal.

If you seriously have a guy like you describe you might try telling them they will be effected by it all because the strength of the Brotherhood is not gone form your life just because you have retired. Pension money is nice but it takes Brothers and Sisters behind us paying to keep that money coming.

With out all there will be none.

Here is one guy close to retirement and you can say I am looking forward to retirement. HOWEVER, I was the guy with the picket sign, and manning the burn barrel, and the guy who got arrested for crackin a ****, and the guy with the big mouth, that fought and fought hard, to get this agreement, the NMFA, to where it is today.

I been shot at, spit at, poked with billy clubs,
had my skull cracked twice in two places, my arm fractured, and all in the name of the TEAMSTER, and for which it stands for.

In the memory of Louis Peich and Bill Joyce, tell these wanna be he-men to get back to that table and get back the give backs.

VOTE HELL NO!

And no I aint a TDU guy either.

Here is one guy close to retirement and you can say I am looking forward to retirement. HOWEVER, I was the guy with the picket sign, and manning the burn barrel, and the guy who got arrested for crackin a ****, and the guy with the big mouth, that fought and fought hard, to get this agreement, the NMFA, to where it is today.

I been shot at, spit at, poked with billy clubs,
had my skull cracked twice in two places, my arm fractured, and all in the name of the TEAMSTER, and for which it stands for.

In the memory of Louis Peich and Bill Joyce, tell these wanna be he-men to get back to that table and get back the give backs.

VOTE HELL NO!

And no I aint a TDU guy either.

And I forgot to tell ya, I aint afraid to go for a trip down memory lane for the sake of the newer guys, who dont understand the or dont realize the fight we fought.

This is one old SOB who is GD mad, and ready to drop the gloves and fight the bare fisted fight, for our younger brothers and sisters.

Guys I have a question. It's not meant to cause any arguments at all.

Do you really see that many senior guys with that attitude or is it that the one you see is so loud and obnoxious that it just seems like it's a lot of them?

I just retired the last of December from ABF and I have to tell you that I personally never felt that none of the problems were mine just because I was about to get out of it.

I'm still very concerned about what you guys and gals decide to do with this new contract proposal.

If you seriously have a guy like you describe you might try telling them they will be effected by it all because the strength of the Brotherhood is not gone form your life just because you have retired. Pension money is nice but it takes Brothers and Sisters behind us paying to keep that money coming.

With out all there will be none.

Not only do you see this attutude from guys getting ready to retire, you see it from senior guys who are not ready to retire. I come from a small barn that has one third of its men laid off, and senior men working 60 hrs a week or more and do not give a crap about the junior men sitting at home. NOT ONE OF THESE :butt kiss: came to the meeting because they were afraid of what other people would say about them working all the ot and not filing a grievance over it. I am all for senior men getting ot but not at the expense of sitting a brother at home. Unfortunately there is very little solidarity left in the union. All these guys care about is how much they are making I have heard from a very reliable source that these men are bragging about how much they are working and having a little competition to see who can get the most hours in a week.

you know whats bullsh#t about this post? this guy doesn't know what he talking about!!i got 15 yrs in need 10yrs. to get 25, put me at 60. hopefully than i could retire. in the next 10 yrs. there are only about5-6 guys that can retire that will move me up the seniorty list in the whole 03 terminal.yet there are some where around 25-30 guys that are younger than me with 20+yrs in now, and wont have there's for awhile after i leave. plenty with 25+ yrs. that arn't close to even 57.anotherwards, they might be old-timers at npme in your eyes, but they got a good way to go before theygot there's as you say.if your going to post on npme forum you should aleast have a clue what your talking about fact wise, just like you telling everybody to vote NO on contract on this forum, yet not knowing how or if or telling half truths, about how if effects npme people.

you know whats bullsh#t about this post? this guy doesn't know what he talking about!!i got 15 yrs in need 10yrs. to get 25, put me at 60. hopefully than i could retire. in the next 10 yrs. there are only about5-6 guys that can retire that will move me up the seniorty list in the whole 03 terminal.yet there are some where around 25-30 guys that are younger than me with 20+yrs in now, and wont have there's for awhile after i leave. plenty with 25+ yrs. that arn't close to even 57.anotherwards, they might be old-timers at npme in your eyes, but they got a good way to go before theygot there's as you say.if your going to post on npme forum you should aleast have a clue what your talking about fact wise, just like you telling everybody to vote NO on contract on this forum, yet not knowing how or if or telling half truths, about how if effects npme people.

Mr allnight, I hope you were referring to the original post from road hog, because I have not told anyone to vote no on any forum I have however encouraged every member to read the propsal and VOTE, your vote is your choice but it is every members responsibility to at least vote.
Again I hope you were referring to the orginal post in this thread about having a clue as to how it will affect npme people, because I know a very large number of npme people, and have had several lengthy disussions about how this will affect them. My post was to hillbilly about the solidarity or lack there of that exists within the teamster rank and file members at my barn in particular and also the overall solidarity that i see with members from other companies that I see on a daily basis.

yes talking about roadhog because he claims to be from my home terminal. as far as voteing everybody should vote, and i totally agree they should not only read proposed contract for themselfs, but attend local meeting and ask any questions about anything they dont understand.than go home and make a yes or no vote on what they beleive that vote should be .i have asked a fair amount of people who voiced there opion that they are voteing NO.when asked why, exactly, there response has been from i don't know , to because these guys are telling me to, bassically they dont really know why they are voteing NO. dont think that is good way to be casting a vote. my personal opion.at cmp hill, on city board, nobody sitting at home, and ot hours for peddl eman, and this is how it's been for at least 16 yrs, probably since begining of time .you're out till your trailers full of p/u's, all p/u's are covered or there arnt anymore p/u's to be made.or your out of hrs.road board isn't quite so good for lower end when things are slow, like now.and i still say this contract will have very little effect on npme employee's basically because we do 95% overnite del. day in and out, npme isn'tgoing to change the way or how they do overnite because of anything in this contract.there is more of a chance of change at npme by them tweeking the business model to gain more effecient ways of doing business than anything in this propsed contract.

Vote Yes?

If things are as bad as YRCW would have us believe and we give them these givebacks they want, then what? Do you think when things are better they will give us what we deserve? Poor management does not require givebacks. It requires new management. To many Teamsters have to many bills and only care for themselves. Being a Teamsters once had meaning and pride. I say it's time to be proud again.
Remember this corporation has many companies and can move freight around to make things look bad. Stop being scared and be a Teamster and remember what Brotherhood is about.

What you vote may not real closely effect you now but think of the people it does. Remember in '94 the strike against parttimers, right now the last contract they start to use them and this contract they want to use them in the am. At the Holland terminal in Wilkes Barre they haven't hired a full time employee in over a year but hire PT and use them as they want in the PM. So what you vote on might not effect you now it might in the next 5 YEARS. Central Pa has always needed help with little but with NO help from these locals why vote on so much gray language? I will still vote NO with 12.5 years to go, but in NY pension.:chairshot::nutkick:

If things are as bad as YRCW would have us believe and we give them these givebacks they want, then what? Do you think when things are better they will give us what we deserve? Poor management does not require givebacks. It requires new management. To many Teamsters have to many bills and only care for themselves. Being a Teamsters once had meaning and pride. I say it's time to be proud again.
Remember this corporation has many companies and can move freight around to make things look bad. Stop being scared and be a Teamster and remember what Brotherhood is about.
Excellent post Jarhead

part time america doesn't work

Remember that.....I hope any of you brothers that vote for this contract never lose your license due to illness,dui or any other reason...because those dock jobs that you could bid on won't be there anymore......this will be a huge change in new penns operation and if you can't see that take off the blinders
VOTE NO

New Penn doesn't need more of a reason to abuse a employee, they already do there best to screw us. VOTE NO........The butt u save may be your own

To my knowledge, NPME doesn't have non-CDL bids. They have messed up a couple of times and people have made the list without a CDL(this happened in both CH and RDG), but they didn't make any special provisions for those guys. They had to wait till they could hold the evening dock bids seniority wise. The only provision in this new contract that I see NPME utilizing is the four hour casual at 14$. They already use plenty of dock only casuals for four hours under the current contract. Vote your conscience.

they put up acouple of non-cdl bids for some guys that fit that, that have been here for a while several yrs ago. still you got choice of night oubound or tue=sat early in-bound.not much of choice but at least they got a starting time out of it.

josie wales, it's obvious you really don't have a clue to how npme operates. there is no way we could do 95% next day with the rest 2nd day and appt. freight, useing strickly hit or miss 14$ an hr, causuals working 4 hr shifts.before the economy puked on us and we were busy, it was hard enough to find people willing to jump through the hoops to get hired and have benifits, and would put up with the call listfor the year or two before they couldat least get a starting time, and now you think dropping the wage by 2$ an hr. for causuals is going to make it any easier to find decient help?and they will only be worked when there is freight. after bids are filled and board is exhuasted, and preferded casuals are worked. when those times come about again,you'll probably be crying so much about all the hours you have to work, you'll be praying for them to find 14$ an hr. causuals.