Central Transport | People quitting !!!

couple of dock workers were given full time status again. too many fill-ins ******* up freight.. new T.M in Pennsylvania. west chester has new t.m. anyone hear about a potential changing of the guard in wmd hagerstown.....

4 PD and 1 LH at my place, 2 of the PD served their notice, other two walked out, 1 LH finished notice,,,,, we are down 8 or 9 in 2 months with no replacements, about 1/3 of our driving force

couple of dock workers were given full time status again. too many fill-ins ******* up freight.

What terminal is it that gave full time status to dock workers? Is this a linehaul driver story or you personally know this as fact because you talked to the person that got full time back?

this place is a lost cause. it will not get better, or if it does it will not be for another couple of years, and do all of u guys plan to stay here that long to see if it does? the rates are way too low to make a profit, and if anyone has noticed when we went up 6.9% we lost a big portion of business, now remember that most alll ltl companies went up6.9% and they just went on with business as usual. not vitran, customers take a risk with us, our service is way below average, our claims r thru the roof, customers play the " big risk big reward" game with us. and the ones that didnt want to play the "game" after the 6.9% increase went with a ltl company that they knew what they were getting. they play a new game with other ltl companies. it is called " I pay top dollar and there for I get a positive end result" meaning I get my freight on time and in one peice". I for one am waiting for " the phonecall" I am getting off the " vi-carealot" cruise ship and jumping on another....................

From what other drivers tell me, "their" rates are actually not really much more than ours, just a couple percent (actual rates nare the same, just the "discount" is less, but others assured freight would not run late or get damaged like it did on us. Arriving on time is one thing, there are so many issues going on yet, but this OS&D is the big one to me and has to be brought under control before we make any giant leaps forward

this place is a lost cause. it will not get better, or if it does it will not be for another couple of years, and do all of u guys plan to stay here that long to see if it does? the rates are way too low to make a profit, and if anyone has noticed when we went up 6.9% we lost a big portion of business, now remember that most alll ltl companies went up6.9% and they just went on with business as usual. not vitran, customers take a risk with us, our service is way below average, our claims r thru the roof, customers play the " big risk big reward" game with us. and the ones that didnt want to play the "game" after the 6.9% increase went with a ltl company that they knew what they were getting. they play a new game with other ltl companies. it is called " I pay top dollar and there for I get a positive end result" meaning I get my freight on time and in one peice". I for one am waiting for " the phonecall" I am getting off the " vi-carealot" cruise ship and jumping on another....................

Those LTL rate increases (that all LTL carriers have implemented) in the last 6 mos. only cover freight that is NOT under a contracted rate. So in fact 80-90% of shippers never feel a general rate increase. VITRAN is NOT DEAD! Hang in there boys.

I have a customer on my peddle route, that gives me 15-20 skids a day. going east west north and south. now all of a sudden yrc is getting 95% of what I was getting for the longest time. the main reason why, well u can pick either, 1 damages r thru the roof. 2 in a 2 day lane, well it gets there 3-4 days. it is hard to hold my head up when I walk in the place, at one time we would have a grand ol time shootin the sh&#. but now I get treated like i am invisable. it sucks it really does. but thats life, when you have employees company wide that just dont care about their job, so there for crap gets put on wrong trls crap gets stacked without dunnage, 1000lbs skids on 500lb skids. the crap wil never change until management does something about these clowns that screw crap up.

I have a customer on my peddle route, that gives me 15-20 skids a day. going east west north and south. now all of a sudden yrc is getting 95% of what I was getting for the longest time. the main reason why, well u can pick either, 1 damages r thru the roof. 2 in a 2 day lane, well it gets there 3-4 days. it is hard to hold my head up when I walk in the place, at one time we would have a grand ol time shootin the sh&#. but now I get treated like i am invisable. it sucks it really does. but thats life, when you have employees company wide that just dont care about their job, so there for crap gets put on wrong trls crap gets stacked without dunnage, 1000lbs skids on 500lb skids. the crap wil never change until management does something about these clowns that screw crap up.
I agree so much and cant tell you how much sick and tired I am of this crap of dockworkers (at least the trailers I see coming in) having the attitude of there's an inch between the roof and the freight so lets shove another skid in there, every morning I see trailers come with freight stacked 4, 5 and 6 skids high some of them even have plain as day DO NOT STACK stickers on them until this changes our OS&D is not going to budge. and I know how it feels to be embarrassed to go into customers there are times I wish I didn't have my uniform on and had a generic rental truck.

don't worry fudgie, at the rate things are going ( btw damage, missed pickups and late del ) we will have enough room in the trailers when customers walk away. maybe chasing greatness is chasing business away. nothing like delivering freight that's either late or damaged or both, then getting sent on a wild goose chase for pickups that are closing or closed or closed and someones is waiting for only us ( because all the other ltls have their shet together and picked their freight up). this change up top was done too late and i don't think it will be turned around in time, vitrans best bet is to sell and take loss or shut down us operations and try to salvage the canadian end. but i think it's all or nothing for them now. i got to go, my tablet just made another noise. oh goodie, another pickup that's red in color. lol.

Well said. Maybe someone there will care about such things soon, but doubt it, or at least not so far. What good is it to chase greatness without customers? Maybe squeezing routes for the almighty dollar was not the best starting approach, maybe they should have started with OS&D and other customer retention ideas first? Losing customers sure is not helping the bottom line, and once you lose them, good luck getting them back later with all sorts of see through promises

SOUTH SIDE STRESS. The grass is greener on the other side. I left in September and work for a great company. Never looked backed and you shouldn't either. Ive talked to several UPS brothers and they are pretty happy with big brown.
Good luck with the new job. You made the right move