ODFL | Phoenix

bullwagon

TB Regular
Credits
Is anyone on here from Phoenix? I want to transfer when they have a city spot come open and would like to know what the terminal is like. How do they run the wild drivers, meaning I don't mind running line to keep myself busy but want to remain on the city board.

Is anyone on here from Phoenix? I want to transfer when they have a city spot come open and would like to know what the terminal is like. How do they run the wild drivers, meaning I don't mind running line to keep myself busy but want to remain on the city board.

I'm out of PHX, and I can help you out with some answers.

I've been with OD a year and a half, the whole time out of PHX. I started in the city, and transferred to line haul about a year ago running wild. The terminal itself is less than a year old, and it's very nice. Big,141 doors, clean, lots of yard space, and it's located 1.5 miles off of I-10. The TM, ATM, city and line haul dispatchers are nice guys, and will try and help you out if they can. Moral throughout the terminal is pretty good and most of the guys are friendly.

Now as far as wild drivers, in PHX, that's only for line haul. If you're hired on as a city driver, that's what you are, a city driver. City dispatchers won't give you line haul work to do. You can pick up line haul work on weekends tho if you'd like. Being the bottom man on the city board is going to mean getting put on the Basha's grocery warehouse. I'm not gonna lie, it sucks. It's usually a 48'-53' trailer all the way full and it's 100% sort and seg. Doing that means you'll be coming in usually between 12-2pm and won't be off work till 2am or so. Bashas leaves the gate around 7:30p to get out there for an 8-8:30 appointment. Coming in at 2, you'll be running routes, doing pick ups, swapping and dropping trailers etc. prob all the same stuff you're doing now. No Bashas on Fridays which is nice.

All in all, it's a great terminal to work out of... just got to put your time in to get off the grocery warehouse crap. Good luck on the transfer, and if you have any other questions I'd be happy to try and answer them.

I'm out of PHX, and I can help you out with some answers.

I've been with OD a year and a half, the whole time out of PHX. I started in the city, and transferred to line haul about a year ago running wild. The terminal itself is less than a year old, and it's very nice. Big,141 doors, clean, lots of yard space, and it's located 1.5 miles off of I-10. The TM, ATM, city and line haul dispatchers are nice guys, and will try and help you out if they can. Moral throughout the terminal is pretty good and most of the guys are friendly.

Now as far as wild drivers, in PHX, that's only for line haul. If you're hired on as a city driver, that's what you are, a city driver. City dispatchers won't give you line haul work to do. You can pick up line haul work on weekends tho if you'd like. Being the bottom man on the city board is going to mean getting put on the Basha's grocery warehouse. I'm not gonna lie, it sucks. It's usually a 48'-53' trailer all the way full and it's 100% sort and seg. Doing that means you'll be coming in usually between 12-2pm and won't be off work till 2am or so. Bashas leaves the gate around 7:30p to get out there for an 8-8:30 appointment. Coming in at 2, you'll be running routes, doing pick ups, swapping and dropping trailers etc. prob all the same stuff you're doing now. No Bashas on Fridays which is nice.

All in all, it's a great terminal to work out of... just got to put your time in to get off the grocery warehouse crap. Good luck on the transfer, and if you have any other questions I'd be happy to try and answer them.

I might possibly be looking to get on with OD out there in Pheonix for Linehaul. I ran for Saia for a year before I had to get off the road to deal with family stuff. That's all done so I am about ready to get back out there and the word is OD is one of the best companies to work for.

What kind of runs will you be getting out of Phoenix as an extraboard driver? What kind of miles are you getting daily/weekly?

Does OD run linehaul mainly mon-fri with extra runs on the weekends or are you subject to working through the weekend as part of a normal week?

What year/model trucks are ya'll running out there?

Ho bad are the mountain runs? I ran primarily in the south and midwest so didnt do any mountain driving. I have heard the Phoenix to ABQ run can be a bear.

Sorry for all of the questions, just trying to get all the info I can get.

Linehaulife- that word would be true. Great place to work. We've got 31 set schedules, and 6 wild drivers.... what run you get all depends on how much freight we have. You could run 1800 miles one week, and 3000+ the next, it all depends. I'd say I've averaged around 2500 or so tho. Here's the runs that we have:

GLP- Gallup, NM 660 miles round trip (meet with Albuquerque)
RTO- Rialto, CA 626 miles round trip
VGS- Las Vegas, NV 570 miles
BNS/TUS- Benson & Tucson AZ, 560 something
(Meet with ELP)
SSN- San Simon, AZ 490 miles (meet with El Paso)
HOL- Holbrook, AZ 476 miles (meet with Albuquerque)
CCC- Coachella, CA 468 miles (meet with Orange County, ca)
DSC- Desert Center, CA 368 miles (meet with Long Beach, ca)
YMA- Yuma, AZ 328 miles (meet with San Diego)
FGA- Flagstaff, AZ 314 miles
TUS- Tucson, AZ 244 miles

Flag, and Tucson aren't schedules, the rest are.

If wild, you have no set schedule... at all. No such thing as a normal schedule unless you get with bossman and try and preplan yourself by seeing who's off and asking to cover it. I've worked 7 days in a row before. I've been on the wild board for a year now and I'm number 3 out of 6.

Line haul uses 09'-17' Freightliners Cascadias and 14'-16' Volvos. Senior guys obviously get the newer trucks. I've got a 12' Freightliner assigned with over 500k on it.... actually prefer it over the new ones.

The mountain runs aren't too bad, just takes some getting used to. The only real one to worry about is going north up the 17 towards Flagstaff, and on to Holbrook. It's a slow climb up, and a fast ride down. Just gotta go slow till you get used to it. I came from the Midwest with no mountain exp either and I'm comfy with them now.

Any other questions feel free to ask.