XPO | Phony Numbers

icuicp

TB Veteran
Credits
I try to keep up on things at XPO , but I miss little stuff here and there.

Talking to another driver about a "dropped trailer" the other day and was told something totally ridiculous: A dropped trailer ( full or empty ) gets charged to the drivers home terminal at $5000 a pop. A service failure on P&D costs $30. Liftgate deliveries $152. Single shipments $34.

I can understand most of the charges , but $5000 for a dropped trailer? No wonder some terminals didn't get a bonus.

Talking to another driver about a "dropped trailer" the other day and was told something totally ridiculous: A dropped trailer ( full or empty ) gets charged to the drivers home terminal at $5000 a pop. A service failure on P&D costs $30. Liftgate deliveries $152. Single shipments $34.

I can understand most of the charges , but $5000 for a dropped trailer? No wonder some terminals didn't get a bonus.
I can somewhat understand the cost. The last time I talk to a tow driver he told me it was $400 to $500 for him just to show up before he does anything to pick up the trailer. I also think the replacement cost and labor to replace the legs. I sure the bean counters have figured out the average cost of a drop trailer

I can somewhat understand the cost. The last time I talk to a tow driver he told me it was $400 to $500 for him just to show up before he does anything to pick up the trailer.

It has nothing to do with the cost of the accident- it's punitive, like a fine. An injury will cost your SIC 10 grand, and both of those amounts are in addition to the actual cost of the accident/injury.

I'm not convinced that's an effective way to lower accidents and injuries. If I, as a driver, lose a bonus because we had too many accidents and injuries, what am I supposed to do with that? Ride along with them?

Our TM has been telling us for the last 6 months to a year that every injury is 5 grand every accident is 5 grand. Bout a month ago we had 3 accidents resulting in 2 injuries in one week. 25 thousand dollars off the monthly profit just like that. It was definitely being discussed in morning meetings to pay attention and be safe.

It has nothing to do with the cost of the accident- it's punitive, like a fine. An injury will cost your SIC 10 grand, and both of those amounts are in addition to the actual cost of the accident/injury.

I'm not convinced that's an effective way to lower accidents and injuries. If I, as a driver, lose a bonus because we had too many accidents and injuries, what am I supposed to do with that? Ride along with them?
Thank you. It's a made up number to punish a bad action: droping trailers. The actual cost of a "dropped empty" is what? And is the definition of "dropped trailer" still , when the trailer hits the frame? Maybe 2 inches fall from the fifth wheel , if you don't pull out from underneath the trailer?

The actual cost of a "dropped empty" is what?
Close enough to zero to be zero on the yard (where most of them are) even if you want to count labor to go out and pick up the trailer with forklifts or the hostler.

And is the definition of "dropped trailer" still , when the trailer hits the frame? Maybe 2 inches fall from the fifth wheel , if you don't pull out from underneath the trailer?

Actually, I've heard they relaxed the standard again, so catching it with the frame doesn't count. <shrug> I'm fine with that.

My issue is not with chargeable dropped trailers - I think they are all preventable. I disagree with fining the service center a potentially bonus- killing amount for the independent actions of individual DSRs. Considering how unattainable many drivers see our bonus, I don't see how that is an effective motivator.

This thread reminds me of how they charged ( on paper) for a truck. First the Truck's were paid for out of the budget the Year that they are purchased. Second, Service Centers would make payments for seven years for each Truck. Third , There's a tax write off that takes a huge chunk of the cost that Corporate takes advantage of. So there you go, Trucks paid for Three times within the Company. You should be driving Western Stars !!!!

I also heard that if someone gets injured and has to go to the clinic that its $10,000 off the bottom line for that terminal