Physical renewal

The day I walked into the DMV and turned in the CDLA years ago, the staffers recoiled in shock.

NOOOOOOOO.

I pulled out three narcotic bottles with pain medicine in them, one is a schedule 1 and rapped them on the counter and said what part of remove my CDLA and gimmie a car license do you not understand?

That took 90 seconds.

The reason was I discovered the nature of fines that will be mandatory if I was stopped in my state with CDLA and suspected DUI DWI or whatever they call it. Its not something you survive in life with a future. A basic violation in a small D license is limited to 14K and about 6000 in fees plus sentencing.

Then within a year the letters came informing me that I can someday as a Grandfathered holder get that back on demand with fees and so on so forth. (No DOT Physical for Farm 150 air miles to market or Tier Two specifically self certifying in my state.)

Its not worth the trouble.

I walked out of there free as a bird. No weight, therapy or any of that bs needed other than a stiff steak and chicken meal with trimmings at the Rock Petro downtown.

Its very easy to give the entire trucking industry a gigantic FU Birds to the sky when you are in the prime of life and ****ed over enough by it. The CDLA is ::shit::.

The hazmat and all the rest of it is really ::shit:: now. But... you can thank the FMCSA, DOT, Congress, Homeland etc etc etc etc et.

The day I walked into the DMV and turned in the CDLA years ago, the staffers recoiled in shock.

NOOOOOOOO.

I pulled out three narcotic bottles with pain medicine in them, one is a schedule 1 and rapped them on the counter and said what part of remove my CDLA and gimmie a car license do you not understand?

That took 90 seconds.

The reason was I discovered the nature of fines that will be mandatory if I was stopped in my state with CDLA and suspected DUI DWI or whatever they call it. Its not something you survive in life with a future. A basic violation in a small D license is limited to 14K and about 6000 in fees plus sentencing.

Then within a year the letters came informing me that I can someday as a Grandfathered holder get that back on demand with fees and so on so forth. (No DOT Physical for Farm 150 air miles to market or Tier Two specifically self certifying in my state.)

Its not worth the trouble.

I walked out of there free as a bird. No weight, therapy or any of that bs needed other than a stiff steak and chicken meal with trimmings at the Rock Petro downtown.

Its very easy to give the entire trucking industry a gigantic FU Birds to the sky when you are in the prime of life and ****ed over enough by it. The CDLA is ::::shit::::.

The hazmat and all the rest of it is really ::::shit:::: now. But... you can thank the FMCSA, DOT, Congress, Homeland etc etc etc etc et.
Got rid of mine the next renewal after retirement. I did not want to be tempted into going back. Same experience with DMV. I had to sign forms and have them notarized that I was voluntarily "surrendering" my CDL.

I retired two years ago. I did my DOT physical last summer. $100.00 I think. Renewed my CDL this month. $80 something. Dropped HazMat but kept all the other endorsements. I don't plan on working again. If for some reason I wanted to work again It would be easy enough to get the HazMat again. But what a hassle it would be to get your CDL. In four years I may let the CDL go. We shall see.
By the way, I love not working.