PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME LIKE I AM A 3rd GRADER !!

You get no out of pocket health care expenses,a pension which is paid by NCT, an hourly wage consistent to the master freight agreement, overtime after 8 hours each day with a guarantee of 8 hours each day, yearly contract raises in your hourly pay, a no harassment environment by management... these are just a few positive points that will be implemented. At this moment you receive none of the above mentioned assets. Realistically, they can take more away from you and you have no rights to ask why. I hope this is helpful.

And who is paying for the health care ? How is NCT going to fund a pension when they are just making their bills ? So my hours are going to be cut to 8 a day because thats what going to happen guarantee ? By who the union ? I have never been harassed? I work hard you know fair days work fairs day pay, I guess the slackers need the protection,,,take away ? What like YRC is doing this weekend AGAIN when NCT only did it once ? !! I am not buying it.

darksky,I just did some math.bear with me it's alot of numbers so before you comment look carefully at the figures. You will pay the union dues totaling approximately 797.40 per year. For that yearly fee, based on your current out of pocket health care costs at 150.00 a week for a family plan currently cost you 7,800 a year deducted from your check AFTER taxes.If you work 60 hours a week based on your current hourly wage you now gross 1,329.60 a week which is based solely on straight time. Now factor in the union wage. 40 hours @ 22.16 plus 20 hours at time and a half grosses your pay at 1,551.20. That's an increase in your gross pay in the amount of 221.60 per week. Take that number and multiply it by 52 and that's a gross yearly salary increase of approx.11,523.20. Add that figure to the 7,800 you just saved in out of pocket health care costs incurred by you presently, and the bottom line increase in your yearly gross salary is approximately 18,525.80!!! Don't you think all your hard work each and every day is deserving of a 18,525.80 increase in your annual salary. All those perks I just ran past you cost you only 797.40. subtract that from 18,525.80 and your still ahead by17,728.40 Now just imagine if you worked more than 60 hours a week, which is the norm at New Century! And as an added bonus, you'll get a reward when you retire in the form of a GUARANTEED pension after 5 years of vestment, which is secured by the federal government. That 797.40 each driver pays goes towards many things. A very small portion covers the expenses of the local, which includes salaries,administrative costs, rent,and the like. But a major portion goes to the International to cover the political aspects such as lobbyists and education of not only the public but the law firms that represent unions. The monies are spent wisely and are made public through the OPRA Act, which is the Open Public Records Act. New Century has been hiding lots of information from it's employees since Harry left the business. Sadly, when the company took the 5% away from everyone,I'm guessing they really didn't need the money. They saw an opportunity to follow suit with all those other corporations to use the economy to put more profits into their own pockets, hence the bonuses and such.So I hope based on these figures, you will realize that it's in your best interest and for the protection of your family to get something back for all the hard work and long hours you spend behind the wheel each and every day. You, my friend are worth at least that much, because without you and the rest of the drivers, New Century is worthless.

Thank you for a straight answer.

Now what happens if they don't have the money like YRC? I mean the only asked us to give 5% back and the YRC drivers gave back a poop load more !! Do the local drivers strike and WHEN we are all looking at ourselves out of work in the street looking for a job because we forced them to shut the doors ? You dont have to answer the question I am just typing out loud. But thanks again for the answer.

Darksky, I'm guessing that the health care program is primarily funded by the employees with only a small portion paid for by the company. When I was employed there I was covered by my wife's insurance so I didn't have that extra expense. I did review their healthcare policy and felt it was well below what the union offered. Common sense tells you that any company that is not solvent and is managed by a third party with controlling interest would never carry the note on a failing company. Jeffries Holdings is in the business of making money. any investment firm will not throw good money after bad money. We all know, based on the customer base and the proximity of the terminal there has never been such a thing as an 8 hour day nor will there ever will be.History will tell you that most companies go out of business for basically 2 reasons. First being poor management of assets and inflated salaries of executive salaries. New Century is very good at what they do, with a few exceptions, but for the most part they get the job done. They are heavy in executive positions, hence the firing of individuals the corporation feels are deemed not necessary. A streamlined transportation company such as New Century needs to trim the fat. All they realistically need is a terminal manager, 2 operations managers for both night and day shifts and possibly 2 dock bosses one for inbound and one for outbound. You can't compare YRC to New Century because they run their operations entirely different and I believe New Century has a leg up on them. Just have an open mind and do what's best for you and look at both sides and listen to the truth. The union has nothing but great things to offer all of you.

jbusy12, my opinion is unbiased. I stand to gain nothing out of this because I am retired and collecting my pensions. I'm just speaking from experience basing my facts on the 39 years in the craft. If I actually felt the union would hurt New Century I would be honest and say that.

So what do I get for my $ 500 bucks to join & $ 66.45 a month and please keep it real. This is a lot of coin to take out of a drivers pocket. So what do I get for the money ??!! Keep your snarky comments to yourself.

Already gave you the break down in the other post. I see you didn't post anything after that guess management is trying to come up with an answer:busted:

You get no out of pocket health care expenses,a pension which is paid by NCT, an hourly wage consistent to the master freight agreement, overtime after 8 hours each day with a guarantee of 8 hours each day, yearly contract raises in your hourly pay, a no harassment environment by management... these are just a few positive points that will be implemented. At this moment you receive none of the above mentioned assets. Realistically, they can take more away from you and you have no rights to ask why. I hope this is helpful.

-No out of pocket health care expenses. You mean that I'm covered by health insurance??? Which I need to pay money towards every month. (Ignoring the fact that there are no deductibles, which I find to be odd, but ok I'll roll with it) So yes, I may not need to pay straight out of my piggy bank for that tooth pull, but that doesn't mean I'm not paying hundreds of dollars a month for health insurance.
-Yearly contract raises, of what? 0.20$? We're not guaranteed substantial raises.
We are guaranteed 8 hours a day. Does that mean that whenever we work, we need to work for 8 straight hours? Or does that mean since everyone is guaranteed 8 hours, that's all we will ever be able to work in a day, no more because the company can't afford ot on top of that.
-If anyone is harassed at the work place, they can take legal action. https://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/understanding-workplace-harassment-fcc-staff we are guaranteed of that by the US government.

All of this comes with the fact that I'm need to pay union dues. For a raise of .20$ a year and a pension of an unknown amount? I still need to pay towards health insurance too.

Now factor in the union wage. 40 hours @ 22.16 plus 20 hours....
but we're not guaranteed those 20 hours, we could very well be held to 40 and that's it because there's no money to pay for ot
New Century has been hiding lots of information from it's employees since Harry left the business. Sadly, when the company took the 5% away from everyone,I'm guessing they really didn't need the money.
What does management hide that Harry didn't?

Richard Beers, you just don't get it. for the last time " YOU WILL NOT PAY A RED CENT FOR ANY HEALTH CARE FOR YOU OR YOUR FAMILY EVER!!!!" Where are you coming up with this health care costs??? THE COMPANY WILL PAY YOUR HEALTH CARE PREMIUMS TO THE INTERNATIONAL AND THATS A FACT. THERE WILL BE NO OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES INCURRED BY YOU, THE EMPLOYEE!!!! If your happy paying out of your pocket, by all means you have that option. So vote no, pay weekly towards your healthcare, expect no raises even if it's only a mere twenty cents, work all the hours you want at straight time and my guess you will be a happy man.

He doesn't get it teamster!!! Just don't answer his questions!!! He's asking the same thing over and over
And our answers don't sink into his thick skull.

agreed, Driveforfree. It really gets frustrating tho, especially when you and I have lived through the union experience and always had positive results. I bet these guys don't realize that THEY will have the final say on the contract proposal brought forth to them. The union only acts as a mediator to negotiate on their behalf. Once the proposal is ironed out THE DRIVERS will vote on the contract. It won't be forced down their throats by the union. I Guess Richard Beers never experienced that. So, to all of you who are wondering if the union will have the final say on your livelihood, the answer is a RESOUNDING NO!!! YOU AS A MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF TEAMSTER'S WILL DECIDE WHETHER TO ACCEPT THE COMPANY'S PROPOSAL OR REJECT IT.... END OF STORY!!! YOU WILL HAVE THE BALL IN YOUR COURT FOR A CHANGE INSTEAD OF A " TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT" ATTITUDE. IF YOU VOTE IT DOWN THE COMPANY MUST COME BACK WITH ANOTHER PROPOSAL. No matter how long it takes, all negotiations with be retroactive, meaning it falls back to the first day of negotiations not when the contract is voted in.

And While I'm at it, this is for the driver who runs the Bronx and Westchester who feel I should mind my own business. You stand to lose the most because the days of consecutive 14 hour days and multiple log violations will be gone and your 70 plus hours will be gone too. You'll actually have to toe the legal line for a change. Good luck with that!!

Harry respected the work you did and rewarded you. Did you know that before he left the company he asked the holding company to at least give HIS driver's the 5% back??? They told him flat out NO they'll never see that 5%!!!! Answer your question????