Holland | Please update layoffs

I am sure the Tm was not trying to talk this driver out of taking a new job. He probably hated to see a good driver leave as we have plenty of cry babies. As far as the Tm calling and offering you local work, he has a contractual obligation to call all laid off road drivers when there is local work available. You can either accept or decline. The truth of the whole matter concerning most of these layoffs is that Holland had to hire enough drivers when YRC closed Dugan. We were flooded with frieght and needed additional drivers. When you hire into a Union Carrier you are taking a chance to be laid off. It is all done by seniority order. You know that when you go to work. I know it does not make it easy to be laid off but at least it is done in a fair way......by seniority order not by who is the biggest suck ***. Also maybe some of us shouldnt take on big mortgages and buy expensive vehicles when are senoirity is close to the bottom. I think that would be the wise and conservative way to live. One thing is for sure we need drivers that have an understanding of how the freight business works and can accept that layoffs will occur. One thing is certain, we need drivers that have a positive attitude and good work ethic not drivers that are *****ing and crying about this job. If you dont like it find another job. Holland didnt call you to come to work you came in a filled out an application for employment

Buck, you are right. We filled out a application for Holland. We did not fill one out for YRC.
One more thing. That fair seniority way is coming to a end in this next contract.

Help

In HA they still need city help. Lots of part timers working. Why does't HME ask laidoff people if they would like to transfer? :chairshot:

Overboard,
You were a Dugan driver?

No sir. I was not a Dugan driver.
I should have explained it in a little more detail.
The fair seniority thing I was talking about is for some of us drivers that swithed from road to city. Guys that were undr me on the road will now be able to outbid me for the UE position. That is if I wanted it and then come over into the city above me in seniority.

The guys that this does not affect dont seem to have a problem with it.
I bet they would have a problem with it had it affected them.

The fair seniority thing I was talking about is for some of us drivers that swithed from road to city. Guys that were undr me on the road will now be able to outbid me for the UE position. That is if I wanted it and then come over into the city above me in seniority.

never thought of it that way... bummer

Here's the problem. Somebody is gonna feel like they got shafted no matter how it's gonna go in your situation. You, because of what you describe. Any road man who would go below you if you got your full seniority back (because that wasn't the deal when you decided to go into the city) would feel that they got shafted too. I've read some different versions of how this all will be interpreted and applied by members of different Locals around the system. Maybe the Locals are being given some latitude to apply it as they see fit. I've seen other things in the past where the Company left it up to the Local to decide how something was going to be done....they didn't care who did it as long as somebody did. Good luck in whatever way it goes for you.

Here's the problem. Somebody is gonna feel like they got shafted no matter how it's gonna go in your situation. You, because of what you describe. Any road man who would go below you if you got your full seniority back (because that wasn't the deal when you decided to go into the city) would feel that they got shafted too. I've read some different versions of how this all will be interpreted and applied by members of different Locals around the system. Maybe the Locals are being given some latitude to apply it as they see fit. I've seen other things in the past where the Company left it up to the Local to decide how something was going to be done....they didn't care who did it as long as somebody did. Good luck in whatever way it goes for you.

stldude. A driver that made a decision to switch from road to city or city to road has already gave his seniority up once. That was his decision though. That same driver did not know he would be giving it up again in the next contract for that decision.
They changed the rules. Not me. That is why I believe the driver should get his company time back. That way the driver gets nomore or noless then he is deserved.
On the other hand you are right. It is not fair for the driver that hired straight into the city.
Like I said. This is just one of the reasons this should have never passed.

Overboard things like this have happened before. Years ago Holland used to let Road Drivers transfer "On Their Own" to terminals that were hiring. According to the contract they went to the bottom of the board and started there Line Haul Date all over again, keeping there company senority for pay and what not.

Then they closed down the road boards in Metter and Albany about 8yrs ago. All of these drivers came to Atlanta and were dovetailed into Atlanta's board with their "Present Line Haul Senority". They had no idea they were going to shut down the board just like you transfering to the city. Things like this happen and it is just part of life. No one can see into the future.

Overboard things like this have happened before. Years ago Holland used to let Road Drivers transfer "On Their Own" to terminals that were hiring. According to the contract they went to the bottom of the board and started there Line Haul Date all over again, keeping there company senority for pay and what not.

Then they closed down the road boards in Metter and Albany about 8yrs ago. All of these drivers came to Atlanta and were dovetailed into Atlanta's board with their "Present Line Haul Senority". They had no idea they were going to shut down the board just like you transfering to the city. Things like this happen and it is just part of life. No one can see into the future.

jimjoe. I agree. NO one can see into the future. But, This is no shut down as of now. The only thing that has changed is the contract.
Someone from the hall is coming over Tuesday. I will see then if anything can be done. If not. I will just have to suck it up and hope for the best

has anybody heard about usf holland linehaul driver's going back to work around March first? Need to know!

???? I have heard that YRC wants to cut another 120 jobs at Holland this weekend? I don't know how true this is but I guess we'll see. We are covered up and don't have enough people now so I don't see how they can get rid of anybody here? All laid off men that are willing to work are working all they want in LO. Just a numbers game I guess?

Our dock guys are saying we are pretty slow. They are doubled up on the dock a lot waiting on us to get back with the freight. We are late because we are late getting out in the morning due to the fact that the inbound is late getting here. My 10 am used to be somewhat of a cleanup load and now there are two and sometimes three loads after mine to my area.

:clap:
Our dock guys are saying we are pretty slow. They are doubled up on the dock a lot waiting on us to get back with the freight. We are late because we are late getting out in the morning due to the fact that the inbound is late getting here. My 10 am used to be somewhat of a cleanup load and now there are two and sometimes three loads after mine to my area.
Same thing here in GY. Since the linehaul consolidation in KA, our frieght is getting up here much later. They already altered our start times. The TM said that we are getting about 50% of our frieght after eleven a.m. It makes the early closers tough to service. Our service up here is horrible right now. Short handed on drivers, missing pick-ups and deliveries daily. Good Bus. Plan!!!!!!:clap:

just heard that they let go a supervisor today
I think that is part of the 120
its too bad, he seeemed lime a good guy.