FedEx Freight | Pocono

Fedex role will be defined by our people eventually. Eventually rules are rewritten just as they were at the Carter/Reagan ttransition. They dont have all power on making all rules unless you let them.
For many years we lived with tariffs. That was a system by the people for the people. Frreetrade is a provressive glibalist philosophy. Not conservative. When Americans get sick of a government by the market for the market things will change. Too bad that peopld who believe as you slow down the process. Just as Reagan/Freidman/Volker philosophy came in uncomfortably for many...its time for it to leave.

FedEx's responsibility is to earn a profit for its shareholders, NOT to provide you with a job, affordable healthcare, a pension, etc...
If you feel you "deserve" these things, I'm sure you can find employment elsewhere...

FedEx's responsibility is to earn a profit for its shareholders, NOT to provide you with a job, affordable healthcare, a pension, etc...
If you feel you "deserve" these things, I'm sure you can find employment elsewhere...
A breath of fresh air. Someone who actually doesn't believe their employer owes them anything more than a paycheck. Because, and I hate to say it, the world works towards the lowest common denominator. Good for you for understanding that you're doing pretty well compared to most people.

Big business exports their jobs. Blame them for trying to make money instead of paying higher labor costs imposed on them. Some people don't realize how ridiculous they sound. Has nobody ever gone shopping for a lower price before? I know of people who cross the border to buy gas because it's cheaper.

And to serve their shareholders best they WILL doo everything in their power to change your beliefs and laws legislations and Constitution. Whats more important to you? Your nation?
The standards for our people?
Or the global market? If you choose the latter you give them DC to do as they please. They will and have taken our nation. People joining unions, particiipating in them, and bringing back tariffs would take back a country by the people for the people. Otherwise we kiss butt of an undedicated, unreliable user of people and nation....kind of like Torie colonists to Britain.

They leave and ship back here because you allow them too.
Our expenses are greater than Chinese workers expenses and the only way they the corporations will stay is if we allow them to poison the environment, pay us $1/hr and have no rights. They use us because you allow them too.
Tariffs says " if you want to sell here, you will do things our way." If you leave we will make it more expensive for you to sell here."

And they will stay and we will rebuild.
The void of those who left will be refilled.

A breath of fresh air. Someone who actually doesn't believe their employer owes them anything more than a paycheck. Because, and I hate to say it, the world works towards the lowest common denominator. Good for you for understanding that you're doing pretty well compared to most people.

Big business exports their jobs. Blame them for trying to make money instead of paying higher labor costs imposed on them. Some people don't realize how ridiculous they sound. Has nobody ever gone shopping for a lower price before? I know of people who cross the border to buy gas because it's cheaper.
What do you want a pat on the back? Who cares you chose your path now deal with it . We chose to be employees & not the bioss & this is how it works in our country....

Wha do you want a pat on the back? Who cares you chose your path now deal with it . We chose to be employees & not the bioss & this is how it works in our country....
And yet you continue to believe that your employer should owe you more than a paycheck when most people are lucky to have that much. Nowhere in the law does it state that your employer is required to give you a pension or a health care plan, so it doesn't "work that way" in either of our countries. Most people have to save for their own retirement and pay for their own health care.

The union got you benefits. Good for you. That doesn't mean you'd be entitled to them if you worked as a greeter at Wal-Mart or a burger flipper at McDonald's like so many young people do today. That's the world the few people next in line behind you are coming from, and they're generally happy to just make more money, union or not, benefits or not.

And yet you continue to believe that your employer should owe you more than a paycheck when most people are lucky to have that much. Nowhere in the law does it state that your employer is required to give you a pension or a health care plan, so it doesn't "work that way" in either of our countries. Most people have to save for their own retirement and pay for their own health care.

The union got you benefits. Good for you. That doesn't mean you'd be entitled to them if you worked as a greeter at Wal-Mart or a burger flipper at McDonald's like so many young people do today. That's the world the few people next in line behind you are coming from, and they're generally happy to just make more money, union or not, benefits or not.
It's included in the package when your hired. Like I said you chose to be self employed & supposedly you put money aside for medical & good for you I won't roll the dice.... And I'm 44 who understands how this works &not a kid....

It's included in the package when your hired. Like I said you chose to be self employed & supposedly you put money aside for medical & good for you I won't roll the dice.... And I'm 44 who understands how this works &not a kid....
I never said you were a kid. And once again, IF you have benefits at all they are included in the hiring package. You choose to have benefits and not be responsible for yourself. I think the so-called kids who are just fine growing up in a world that stops caring after they turn 18 are used to being responsible for themselves. As are many people in your age group and older who work in many places without benefits packages.

My point is that, compared to most people, you've got it pretty good. Which is why there's very little sympathy among the public when unionized workers start to complain. Because you sound like entitled children to them. Your solution, of course, would be to suggest that everyone be unionized. All that would accomplish is big business winning out over small businesses because they can already afford the burden of paying for the benefits. Small family businesses wouldn't be able to take it on and would have to shut down or cut back severely.

Most people are comfortable looking out for themselves. You're not, and that's okay. But if most people didn't wanna look out for themselves we'd be living in a welfare state.

I'm new to this board, so forgive me if I don't hit all of the marks from a rules point of view. I for one am pretty happy with my pay. The insurance is just too high, but overall the best job i've had when talking wages. My tm is troublesome and flys off the handle too much. Many horror stories from my fellow workers. This is why i'd consider what the union has to offer. i'm a risk taker also, so i'm not one of those folks too scared to act. I've started following these discussions to get a better idea of what my fellow workers are thinking. I also want to see if my emplloyer makes the right corrections and starts to treat us like humans. time will tell.

So the whole world is racing to the bottom to be the best underpaid workers? Then I sure hope we come in last place. I for one don't want to breath that air you are breathing. If loosing 13% of our benefits in a quarter is doing well then we have bigger problems brewing.

I'm new to this board, so forgive me if I don't hit all of the marks from a rules point of view. I for one am pretty happy with my pay. The insurance is just too high, but overall the best job i've had when talking wages. My tm is troublesome and flys off the handle too much. Many horror stories from my fellow workers. This is why i'd consider what the union has to offer. i'm a risk taker also, so i'm not one of those folks too scared to act. I've started following these discussions to get a better idea of what my fellow workers are thinking. I also want to see if my emplloyer makes the right corrections and starts to treat us like humans. time will tell.
Welcome to the fray. I think most of the workers are fine with the pay we receive for the job we do. Some obviously want more but that is not my priority. Insurance and pension is where I think most want improvement. Younger workers tend to neglect those issues as retirement is far down the road and they have not taken a beating yet from years of freight hauling. Management can and most likely will be an ongoing issue without a union but again it has not been a deal breaker for me yet. For the most part the ball is in the companies court right now on making changes but I do not see them able to do much more then policy changes in the near term. Just keep reading & asking questions. Do some research outside of this board. Go to a union hall for the monthly meeting for their side. Remember that you may get attacked just like I probably will for posting this.

Welcome to the fray. I think most of the workers are fine with the pay we receive for the job we do. Some obviously want more but that is not my priority. Insurance and pension is where I think most want improvement. Younger workers tend to neglect those issues as retirement is far down the road and they have not taken a beating yet from years of freight hauling. Management can and most likely will be an ongoing issue without a union but again it has not been a deal breaker for me yet. For the most part the ball is in the companies court right now on making changes but I do not see them able to do much more then policy changes in the near term. Just keep reading & asking questions. Do some research outside of this board. Go to a union hall for the monthly meeting for their side. Remember that you may get attacked just like I probably will for posting this.

Yeah, i've seen some of the attacks and it ruins what is otherwise a good board, but not sure how you could get attacked for saying what you just did. Just common sense. Thanks! I'll keep watching.

Yeah, i've seen some of the attacks and it ruins what is otherwise a good board, but not sure how you could get attacked for saying what you just did. Just common sense. Thanks! I'll keep watching.

Yeah but the pro union side does most of the attacking if you don't think the exact way they do so you should be fine.

As far as I know there is nothing to negotiate,(as far as rates go) I believe the Teamsters are self insured just like Fedex. They have a fixed across the board cost of insurance per member. And some Teamsters in some contracts do pay some of their health care costs. That's something I tried to explain when I first started posting in here and I was saying you don't what you will get for sure, and none of us know what the future hold as far as health care. I know when they negotiate my contract rising healthcare costs are always a factor and it greatly affects my pay, because the company pays so much per hour I work to health and welfare. When they're at the negotiating table they don't really care about our rising health care costs, they just want to know what this is going to cost them per hour. It's then up to the union to divide that increase up across all obligations. And trust me the union will fund its self before your raise, we've even had to give money back during a contract term because costs were going up and they can't go to the employer and ask for an adjustment during a contract so we have to do it ourselves.

In fact, there are negotiated rates between insurance companies (or a self insured Co.) and the healthcare provider networks. Teamcare, as it's know has a much stronger position, than any of the individual companies would have on their own.

Even the negotiated cost of using a 3rd party (Cigna,Blue cross, etc), to administer the plan, the bargaining power of its 1.4 million members (customers) far exceeds FedEx, and it's 300k total. I won't claim that the savings in bottom line cost are astronomical. The much better coverage would still cost the Company more than what we have now. I would much prefer all gains go straight into the payroll portion of our compensation.

I actually don't know how the lowered bottom line cost would effect FedEx. Would they transfer all administration to Teamcare for a fee? Ups has almost the same exact coverage as Teamcare, but presumably under their own administration. http://teamsterslocal804.org/sites/teamsterslocal804.org/files/c6_enhanced_comparison_to_ups_3_0.pdf I just don't know.

NO doubt there are many fixed costs, I agree. I think, being self insured, the highest cost are the actual claims paid. But then again, with our government intervention under way, who knows?

Yeah but the pro union side does most of the attacking if you don't think the exact way they do so you should be fine.
ive seen the attacks, and i don't think exactly like them. It certainly doesn't sway me to see it their way and maybe makes me think the other way. Logic works for me. I've seem the immaturity from both sides, but your right, mostly from the pro union folks. Probably because things haven't been going well for them so far. If they were winning, I wonder if it would be the other way around. Thanks.

In fact, there are negotiated rates between insurance companies (or a self insured Co.) and the healthcare provider networks. Teamcare, as it's know has a much stronger position, than any of the individual companies would have on their own.

Even the negotiated cost of using a 3rd party (Cigna,Blue cross, etc), to administer the plan, the bargaining power of its 1.4 million members (customers) far exceeds FedEx, and it's 300k total. I won't claim that the savings in bottom line cost are astronomical. The much better coverage would still cost the Company more than what we have now. I would much prefer all gains go straight into the payroll portion of our compensation.

I actually don't know how the lowered bottom line cost would effect FedEx. Would they transfer all administration to Teamcare for a fee? Ups has almost the same exact coverage as Teamcare, but presumably under their own administration. http://teamsterslocal804.org/sites/teamsterslocal804.org/files/c6_enhanced_comparison_to_ups_3_0.pdf I just don't know.

NO doubt there are many fixed costs, I agree. I think, being self insured, the highest cost are the actual claims paid. But then again, with our government intervention under way, who knows?

It is a complicated issue for sure, and Obamacare will make it worse or at least unpredictable at best. I'm really not sure what the answer is.

ive seen the attacks, and i don't think exactly like them. It certainly doesn't sway me to see it their way and maybe makes me think the other way. Logic works for me. I've seem the immaturity from both sides, but your right, mostly from the pro union folks. Probably because things haven't been going well for them so far. If they were winning, I wonder if it would be the other way around. Thanks.

Actually it was way worse before, it's been pretty quite around here lately.

Correct, But...

Your responsibility, to yourself and your family, is to seek the best balance of working conditions, and compensation for your labor. You should seek the "best" return on you "investment" of time. Time being the one thing that you have a limited supply of. If that "best" balance can be achieved at your current employer, is it not wise to try?

Exactly what is "Best", is the subjective part, that we have to determine...

So the whole world is racing to the bottom to be the best underpaid workers? Then I sure hope we come in last place. I for one don't want to breath that air you are breathing. If loosing 13% of our benefits in a quarter is doing well then we have bigger problems brewing.
There has to be a bottom for there to be a top, driver. When someone comes up with a better way, everyone wants to do it the better way. Do you pay top dollar for everything you buy? Because retailers compete for your attention, usually by offering a better price or a better selection of products. Competition breeds innovation, and finding a cheaper solution is often a part of that. Cheaper, faster and higher quality tend to be the expectation. Start small and less efficient, and build from there. Over time you have a better product or even a new one.

If you want a product of a market where competition and innovation weren't allowed, look no further than the Trabant. The people of Eastern Europe needed transportation, and the Trabant was what they got. Why? Because transportation doesn't NEED to be more than what the Trabant is. It was noisy, unsafe, inefficient and of terrible build quality, but a careful driver with a hammer and screwdriver could indeed use it to transport oneself and three other people from place to place...after waiting for 9 years for the car to be built. Why was it never changed? Because it was believed to be good enough the way it was by the people who made the decisions.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't Canada health care publicly funded and paid for by the tax payers. Basically socialized medicine, so you don't want the employer to supply health insurance, you would rather your neighbors supply health insurance for you. I know you are an owner operator and pay for everything out of your pocket, but isn't this basically how it works up north?