Police: Distracted truckers caused I-94 accidents

R-14Driver

TB Legend
Credits
COLOMA - Truck drivers who failed to slow in traffic triggered a pair of crashes on I-94 Monday afternoon that resulted in the death of a Bangor man and several people being injured, police said.

The collisions occurred on eastbound I-94 about a mile apart. Police said the first apparently touched off the second, closing the stretch of freeway for hours.

Fred Reinhardt Jr., 68, was killed when the car he was riding in was struck in the rear by a semi-tractor trailer driven by 50-year-old John Hammett of Beloit, Wis., state troopers at the Bridgman post reported.

The victim was in the back seat of a car driven by his brother, Lee Roy Reinhardt, 65, of San Antonio, Texas, which had slowed on I-94 near Park Road, troopers said. Traffic was backing up from an accident to the east, near the Coloma exit at Friday Road.

Sgt. Jim Campbell, state police accident reconstructionist, said the Reinhardt car was going an estimated 30 mph when struck by the semi, traveling about 60 mph..............

Herald Palladium > Local News > Police: Distracted truckers caused I-94 accidents