Police looking for driver who killed retired state trooper

Investigators are gathering evidence to piece together the accident that took the life of a retired Pennsylvania State Trooper.

The accident happened around 6:15 p.m. Thursday in Wolf Creek Township in Mercer County.

Pennsylvania state police said Billy Ray Williams, 65, of Erie, was traveling east-bound on Interstate 80 when his car broke down in the right lane near the Grove City exit.

Williams was attempting to cross the road in front of his vehicle when he was struck. Williams, who was a retired trooper from the Mercer state police barracks, was transported to Grove City Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

Police have spoken to one witness who said that Williams appeared to go from the front passenger's side of his car to the driver's side when he was struck. Reports verified that the impact took place in the left lane of travel.

"Mr. Williams was struck by a truck tractor and knocked back into the right lane," said Lt. Kirt Snyder, Pennsylvania State Police. "The witness observed the truck tractor that struck Mr. Williams continue to travel east on state Route 80."

At this point, there is no description of the vehicle. Investigators said they are now trying to figure out why Williams could not pull over on the shoulder and find the driver of the truck in question.

"At this time we just know it was a truck tractor and we're following up some possible leads at this time," Snyder said. "I can't divulge more than that right now because it would be speculation."

State police said one lane of traffic at the crash scene was blocked for more than 5 hours. Troopers are still trying to determine whether or not the driver knew he hit someone.

Anyone with any information on the accident is urged to contact Pennsylvania State Police at 724-662-6162.

Check back for more details as they develop, or tune in to tonight's newscast.

http://www.wytv.com/mostpopular/sto...ed-in-Hit-and-Run/F6xngAGr8UKBlbUGGgH4AQ.cspx

Investigators are gathering evidence to piece together the accident that took the life of a retired Pennsylvania State Trooper.

The accident happened around 6:15 p.m. Thursday in Wolf Creek Township in Mercer County.

Pennsylvania state police said Billy Ray Williams, 65, of Erie, was traveling east-bound on Interstate 80 when his car broke down in the right lane near the Grove City exit.

Williams was attempting to cross the road in front of his vehicle when he was struck. Williams, who was a retired trooper from the Mercer state police barracks, was transported to Grove City Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

Police have spoken to one witness who said that Williams appeared to go from the front passenger's side of his car to the driver's side when he was struck. Reports verified that the impact took place in the left lane of travel.

"Mr. Williams was struck by a truck tractor and knocked back into the right lane," said Lt. Kirt Snyder, Pennsylvania State Police. "The witness observed the truck tractor that struck Mr. Williams continue to travel east on state Route 80."

At this point, there is no description of the vehicle. Investigators said they are now trying to figure out why Williams could not pull over on the shoulder and find the driver of the truck in question.

"At this time we just know it was a truck tractor and we're following up some possible leads at this time," Snyder said. "I can't divulge more than that right now because it would be speculation."

State police said one lane of traffic at the crash scene was blocked for more than 5 hours. Troopers are still trying to determine whether or not the driver knew he hit someone.

Anyone with any information on the accident is urged to contact Pennsylvania State Police at 724-662-6162.

There was another bad accident last night at the 77 mile marker on I-79....several cars involved with a roll over. It looked to me like 10 or more cars.... two helicopters were called in. The interstate was closed down for a while.... the old Stimpster got lucky and was diverted past the back up.

Almost all professional truckers slow down, when they see an accident

Retired State Trooper Killed in Hit and Run Accident - 33 News - We Believe in This Valley

I will be blunt, the new age of truckers drive there trucks like four wheelers. For a driver bob-tailing at an unjustified speed, when approaching a State Police car with lights on, going too fast, and hits the police officer, and keeps going, should walk the plank, and dropped into the shark infested ocean. You hear this going on EVERYDAY in chicago, ill., someone walks across the street and the car hits them and just keeps going. This is very disturbing. How can someone just keep going, especially when they hit a CHILD? I have to sit down, blood pressure is up.

There was another bad accident last night at the 77 mile marker on I-79....several cars involved with a roll over. It looked to me like 10 or more cars.... two helicopters were called in. The interstate was closed down for a while.... the old Stimpster got lucky and was diverted past the back up.

There was also a roll over in the north bound S-curves. Tanker rolled it on its side right before Neville Island. Can't find any links yet.

So this retired trooper was hit by a bob tail tractor?
Well that sure changes the perspective,as with out pulling a trailer the blind side would be greatly reduced.
making this hit and run trucker without much of an excuse for not being able to avoid killing that trooper.

There was also a roll over in the north bound S-curves. Tanker rolled it on its side right before Neville Island. Can't find any links yet.

I seen where the snow was plowed out on the second curve.... that must have happened earlier in the day from when I was through there. I went threw there around 1:00am. I thought last night was a very relaxing night with no snow or ice to contend with.... it was a welcome change.:shift:

So this retired trooper was hit by a bob tail tractor?
Well that sure changes the perspective,as with out pulling a trailer the blind side would be greatly reduced.
making this hit and run trucker without much of an excuse for not being able to avoid killing that trooper.

They do not know who or what hit the retired Trooper (65 years old).... The retired Trooper was in his private car... I believe they said his car was white on the radio.... if you can even believe the CB. They have no clue who has done this... I can only hope the person involved will do the right thing and turn himself in....