FedEx Freight | Policy Update: Active collision mitigation system & Fwd facing cameras

SwampRatt

TB Legend
Credits
We are beginning to hear about corrective action as a result of forward facing video, captured during an active collision mitigation or safety system trigger event. Telematics is the term being used.

Here is what we do know. Below is the upcoming policy update, provided by an anonymous source.

I won't tell you what to think about it, but I do recommend that you DO think about it.

9YnhhTW.jpg

lL35Gj8.jpg

Last edited:
We are beginning to hear about corrective action as a result of forward facing video, captured during an active collision mitigation or safety system trigger event. Telematics is the term being used.

Here is what we do know. Below is the upcoming policy update, provided by a concerned anonymous source.

I won't tell you what to think about it, but I do recommend that you DO think about it.

9YnhhTW.jpg

lL35Gj8.jpg
Well boys it was only a matter of time.

Here is what we do know. Below is the upcoming policy update, provided by a concerned anonymous source.

9YnhhTW.jpg

lL35Gj8.jpg
After reading through the updated policy, I can honestly say I don't see a problem with anything listed. All seem to be "reasonable" although I'd prefer the original 3 secs on the following distance as opposed to the now 2 secs.

Just curious, why is your anonymous source "concerned"?? What do they have to be "concerned" with?? Do you/they feel that extremely unsafe and egregious driving behaviors shouldn't be addressed, even with some events leading to corrective action??

Last edited:
After reading through the updated policy, I can honestly say I don't see a problem with anything listed. All seem to be "reasonable" although I'd prefer the original 3 secs on the following distance as opposed to the now 2 secs.

Just curious, why is your anonymous source "concerned"?? What do they have to be "concerned" with?? Do you/they feel that extremely unsafe and egregious driving behaviors shouldn't be addressed, even with some events leading to corrective action??
Whatever, Red. Do you want to know the policy or not? I did remove the term concerned, since that did seem to concern you. Happy now?

Edit: I don't think the source has a concern at all, beyond providing a public service to drivers.

Last edited:

Here is what we do know. Below is the upcoming policy update, provided by an anonymous source.

9YnhhTW.jpg

lL35Gj8.jpg
Being a professional driver these policies should not bother someone. Being a Billy Bad ass on the road I would be worried about the ramifications.

Being a professional driver these policies should not bother someone. Being a Billy Bad ass on the road I would be worried about the ramifications.
I kind of agree but I'm more with swampy on this subject. To me its tantamount to letting government search your house because you have nothing to hide. I realize it's slightly different because to get a coaching you had to screw up so you did have something to hide. I've been driving for 20 years this year and I'm sure I've got some bad habits that I shouldn't do but to me the cameras in a experienced drivers truck with a good safety record is looking for problems that really aren't problems.

All that being said I've been thinking about getting my own camera for cya purposes. I can really see where it could save you in the right scenario.

Its a companies right to do what they want but I dont like the road our industry is heading.From the costly mandated sleep studies to the useless mandated background checks,it is just more overreach to someone trying to make an honest living.My clean driving record was good enough to hire me but not good enough for some people that have never driven a truck in their lives..

Its a companies right to do what they want but I dont like the road our industry is heading.From the costly mandated sleep studies to the useless mandated background checks,it is just more overreach to someone trying to make an honest living.My clean driving record was good enough to hire me but not good enough for some people that have never driven a truck in their lives..
I agree totally, their truck their rules but I don't have to drive it.

...although I'd prefer the original 3 secs on the following distance as opposed to the now 2 secs.

Well, I suspect that during testing, it is very likely that there was far too much video capture for the current or future staffing to review. Likely most of that video, under a 3 second setting, was nonsensical and quite boring. Reducing it to a 2 second trigger is likely to have reduced the data by a significant degree, to manageable amount.

Whatever, Red. Do you want to know the policy or not? I did remove the term concerned, since that did seem to concern you. Happy now?

Edit: I don't think the source has a concern at all, beyond providing a public service to drivers.
Whatever Swamp, we'll all know the policy soon enough, thx...and no, I wasn't concerned at all, just curious as previously stated.

Edit: Perhaps you or your source should be concerned since I'm pretty sure the posting of inter-office memos onto social media is considered a no-no...just sayin'

Well, I suspect that during testing, it is very likely that there was far too much video capture for the current or future staffing to review. Likely most of that video, under a 3 second setting, was nonsensical and quite boring. Reducing it to a 2 second trigger is likely to have reduced the data by a significant degree, to manageable amount.
I can see your point but driving in heavy traffic while watching your VORAD to track following distance, watching the clock to check your time, and watching mile markers to check distance traveled is quite a distraction in itself!! At 3 secs you had more leeway to maneuver out of "triggering" situations without having to watch all of the above mentioned.

Edit: Perhaps you or your source should be concerned since I'm pretty sure the posting of inter-office memos onto social media is considered a no-no...just sayin'

I'm well aware of the policy, and I'm glad you mentioned it. I'll share the applicable part here, as a matter of public record.

"Confidential, Proprietary, and Private Information: Do not disclose or misuse confidential, proprietary, or private information. Examples include any non-public information about FedEx earnings, technology, business plans, intellectual property, vendors or customers, social security numbers and personal health information. For additional information, please refer to your operating company’s policies and procedures governing confidential Information.
This Guideline is not intended to restrict communications by employees about wages, hours or other terms and conditions of employment."

http://investors.fedex.com/governance-and-citizenship/policies/Social-Media-Guidelines/default.aspx

Last edited:
I can see your point but driving in heavy traffic while watching your VORAD to track following distance, watching the clock to check your time, and watching mile markers to check distance traveled is quite a distraction in itself!! At 3 secs you had more leeway to maneuver out of "triggering" situations without having to watch all of the above mentioned.
I agree, in terms of "best practices". In fact all industry guidelines recommend a minimum of 4 seconds.

FMCSA goes even further, recommending adding seconds based on speed and length. I disagree with adding seconds based on length, but that is a science topic for another day.

Worth mentioning, the audible alert (in my current ride) doesn't engage at 3 seconds, nor at 2. There are also several factors that seem to effect the alert, specifically whether you are on the brakes or the throttle.

I'm well aware of the policy, and I'm glad you mentioned it. I'll share the applicable part here, as a matter of public record.

"Confidential, Proprietary, and Private Information: Do not disclose or misuse confidential, proprietary, or private information. Examples include any non-public information about FedEx earnings, technology, business plans, intellectual property, vendors or customers, social security numbers and personal health information. For additional information, please refer to your operating company’s policies and procedures governing confidential Information.
This Guideline is not intended to restrict communications by employees about wages, hours or other terms and conditions of employment."

http://investors.fedex.com/governance-and-citizenship/policies/Social-Media-Guidelines/default.aspx
Agreed...assuming the interoffice memo in question has been made public by management. The one you posted was prefaced with "upcoming policy update", meaning it hasn't been made public, yet, which brought in my questioning.

I'm a little confused why some on here think 3 seconds is even better, hell let's just cut the trucks to 45 mph while we are at it.
I drive a day run and I seem to spend most of my day in heavy traffic backing off just to accomplish the 2 second rule Everytime a big truck fills the gap and it's going 1 miles a hour faster.. city traffic always takes the gaps up and your already cut back to not enough power to overtake a vehicle doing 60 in front of you because the passing lane is doing 80.
Hey it's there trucks but soon we will be the problem not the solution on the road.
I have no problem with all of this if they would let us do what the speed limit is.
Drivers at night don't have this problem as much a it is on day runs

I'm a little confused why some on here think 3 seconds is even better, hell let's just cut the trucks to 45 mph while we are at it.
I drive a day run and I seem to spend most of my day in heavy traffic backing off just to accomplish the 2 second rule Everytime a big truck fills the gap and it's going 1 miles a hour faster.. city traffic always takes the gaps up and your already cut back to not enough power to overtake a vehicle doing 60 in front of you because the passing lane is doing 80.
Hey it's there trucks but soon we will be the problem not the solution on the road.
I have no problem with all of this if they would let us do what the speed limit is.
Drivers at night don't have this problem as much a it is on day runs
In regards to 3 secs instead of 2, with 3 secs there's a bigger cushion which cuts back on the amount of times hard breaking (12 mph) and other actions get triggered, thus lessening the amount of total triggers one gets. With a 3 sec cushion, it's easier to implement the skills learned from the Smith Defensive Driving System than it is 2...just my opinion. I also agree that a 3 sec cushion continuously gets filled by other motorist, thus creating the illusion of us continuing to go backwards but that extra sec gives us more time to react to situations and avoid such triggers...again, my opinion. I have the option to use 3 secs since it's outside of the 2 sec criteria, so I will.

I also run daytime and night time runs since I'm on the extraboard and I will agree that night time driving, in regards to traffic, is soooo much easier!!

Let me also say with our 63/64/65 mph trucks that won't pull, I'm just as aggressive as the next driver (I'm no Saint) but I also implement the Smith System into my daily routine and it's that balance that's kept me accident free for 20 years (knock on wood)...and no buzzers, sensors, or cameras are going to change that.

Agreed...assuming the interoffice memo in question has been made public by management. The one you posted was prefaced with "upcoming policy update", meaning it hasn't been made public, yet, which brought in my questioning.

It seems to me, whether or not this as yet been shared by Management, it has already been deemed to be policy. Don't forget, we are hearing about corrective actions based "the policy", yet most have not been informed of it.

I don't see an effective date, so on principal, the fact that (if) updated policy is being enforced before anyone knows about it is problematic. Again, without even getting in to the actual policy, this case is troubling based on principal, being kept informed of changes BEFORE they occur, NOT AFTER.

It seems to me, whether or not this as yet been shared by Management, it has already been deemed to be policy. Don't forget, we are hearing about corrective actions based "the policy", yet most have not been informed of it.

I don't see an effective date, so on principal, the fact that (if) updated policy is being enforced before anyone knows about it is problematic. Again, without even getting in to the actual policy, this case is troubling based on principal, being kept informed of changes BEFORE they occur, NOT AFTER.
If I had a dollar for every updated policy that's been talked about or shown to a few over the last 20+ years that was pulled before being made public, only to be revised (some several times) before it was officially rolled out, I could probably play a free round of golf!! It's my understanding that the only centers that have been officially advised of any forward facing camera policies are those who actually have the cameras, therefor, some will hear many things about the subject because as you've pointed out, some haven't been informed...yet...so it's all hearsay to us. How do you know that these centers weren't warned of "corrective action" based on extremely unsafe and egregious driving behaviors?? Again, are you condoning this behavior??

I agree but since we haven't been informed of any policies on the subject yet, again, it's all hearsay to us...and we know how that goes, some only hear what they want to hear!!
Aren't we always informed of policy changes AFTER they occur?? :idunno: That's kinda how it works!!

On another note, most at my center find it hilarious that "some" are taking this opportunity to fear monger and use this scare tactic as their talking point in an attempt to forward their agenda...must be because of after seven months of negotiating, they have nothing else to talk about!! :hilarious:

Play nice, guys.

Having driven with a Lytx Drive Cam in my face for a number of months before I bought my own truck and changed jobs, I can tell you guys that the sensitivity varies depending on the company settings. When I first got it, the camera was surprisingly easy to trigger. After a bunch of threats were made and a bunch of threatened quit, I saw a noticeable drop in trigger incidents. I wasn't doing anything differently, which told me the sensitivity was dialed back. In my last month, there were zero events.

Didn't stop me from quitting. The folks at Speedy told me that they had discussed cab cameras with their insurance company and found that there would be no financial benefit to imposing them.

If I had a dollar for every updated policy that's been talked about or shown to a few over the last 20+ years that was pulled before being made public, only to be revised (some several times) before it was officially rolled out, I could probably play a free round of golf!! It's my understanding that the only centers that have been officially advised of any forward facing camera policies are those who actually have the cameras, therefor, some will hear many things about the subject because as you've pointed out, some haven't been informed...yet...so it's all hearsay to us. How do you know that these centers weren't warned of "corrective action" based on extremely unsafe and egregious driving behaviors?? Again, are you condoning this behavior??

I agree but since we haven't been informed of any policies on the subject yet, again, it's all hearsay to us...and we know how that goes, some only hear what they want to hear!!
Aren't we always informed of policy changes AFTER they occur?? :idunno: That's kinda how it works!!

On another note, most at my center find it hilarious that "some" are taking this opportunity to fear monger and use this scare tactic as their talking point in an attempt to forward their agenda...must be because of after seven months of negotiating, they have nothing else to talk about!! :hilarious:

Where do we begin? In your attempt to be cute, you are misunderstanding, and theorizing, quite a lot.

1) Direct your attention to the 1st 3 lines. Specifically the terms "As soon as possible", 5 min., and "Communicate this Pre-Shift to all FedEx Freight Drivers". So, not speculation. Not district X, region Y, or centers a, b, & c. ALL Drivers.

2) You imply (Again) that I condone, or somehow want to "protect" unsafe driving. Speculation that is far from the truth. I've yet to address the policy, specifically. Unlike you, I can fully understand the how & why of the updated policy.

3) We should be notified of policy WHEN it changes, or before. You seem happy with being informed after. How long after do you find acceptable? 1-2 weeks? 1-2 months? You can call it hearsay, if you like, but it seems to be the policy NOW.

4) Cameras are part of the "lane departure warning system", which most locations' fleets do have. Whether they contain "capture capabilities", I won't speculate. Either way, we will all be exposed to them soon.

5) As far as "hilarious fear mongering" at your center, there is speculation as to whether this policy will even apply there...