FedEx Freight | Policy Update: Active collision mitigation system & Fwd facing cameras

This problem is facing everyone who doesn't already run ELD's. Speedy is still running paper logs because they have yet to find anything satisfactory for their needs that doesn't cost them or their owner/operators an arm and a leg. They are hoping to engage one of the mobile apps like Rand McNally or JJ Keller to keep costs down as they already issue all trucks a mobile device for tracking, communication, dispatch and shipment P&D.

Losing NPME and ODFL, long time transborder customers, to competitors very nearly killed Speedy last year. They've recovered via increased domestic volume, but it has delayed their ability to roll out ELD's. And if I'm right, Dicom (the carrier that swiped NPME) is probably courting Holland too. Speedy's biggest customer.

Things like these, combined with demands on suppliers, is really throttling the rollout of ELD's everywhere. Fortunately, at least for now, Canadian carriers only have to equip trucks that cross the border. Our ELD proposal is at least a year behind.
Don't know if this helps flyer my company uses JJ Keller and I like it don't know what it costs is since company put them in.And they work well with our tablets for loads. "nuff said everybody stay safe

There is a reason for that, Red. Sometimes it is best to listen for a bit, before going on the record with an opinion.

I personally should not be effected by the policy, as Safety is a high priority for me. Actual safety, not just the appearance of safety. In fact SAFETY, is one of the few tools available to keep overly enthusiastic managers from going off the rails.

In my opinion, once the Company has knowledge of (or evidence of) seriously unsafe driving, work practices, ect, they must address it. There is a certain obligation, morally, and also legally, in terms of liability, to allow the behavior to go unchecked. There is also the "brand" to protect, in terms of public image.

There is little reason to debate the change in policy, as the change is almost required, unless there was a contractual restriction that prohibited such a change. We have no restriction, contractual or otherwise...

*My only reservation on the policy, is whether or not a driver initiated hard braking event should qualify as a trigger. It's not a deal breaker, as the video evidence should exonerate the innocent.
Why would you need to listen to others in order to formulate your own opinion...can you not think for yourself??

I commend you for stepping away from the position of your colleagues and making this a bipartisan issue. When it comes to "safety above all", I think most of us will ignore the fear mongering and agree that egregious and extremely unsafe driving behaviors needs to be addressed, even if that includes corrective action.

My only reservation lies with the definition of "egregious and extremely unsafe driving behaviors." Guidelines should be established and not remain subjective to the eyes of the committee, IMO.

Side note: I find it ironic that one of the people that's spent the last three weeks fear mongering about the whole forward facing camera/corrective action issue actually "liked" your post which states your position of agreeing with corrective action for egregious and extremely unsafe driving behaviors observed on the forward facing cameras...Classic!!

Why would you need to listen to others in order to formulate your own opinion...can you not think for yourself??

I commend you for stepping away from the position of your colleagues and making this a bipartisan issue. When it comes to "safety above all", I think most of us will ignore the fear mongering and agree that egregious and extremely unsafe driving behaviors needs to be addressed, even if that includes corrective action.

My only reservation lies with the definition of "egregious and extremely unsafe driving behaviors." Guidelines should be established and not remain subjective to the eyes of the committee, IMO.

Side note: I find it ironic that one of the people that's spent the last three weeks fear mongering about the whole forward facing camera/corrective action issue actually "liked" your post which states your position of agreeing with corrective action for egregious and extremely unsafe driving behaviors observed on the forward facing cameras...Classic!!

What the hell is fear mongering? Telling the truth about a new bs policy is now trying to scare someone???? And don't link everyone to your own views on this subject your assuming again.

What the hell is fear mongering?
Fearmongering or scaremongering is the spreading of frightening and exaggerated rumors of an impending danger or the habit or tactic of purposely and needlessly arousing public fear about an issue. This can take the form of psychological manipulation that uses fear-based tactics (scare tactics) including exaggeration and usually repetitions to influence the public in order to achieve a desired outcome.
Telling the truth about a new bs policy is now trying to scare someone????
Using fear mongering and scare tactics in an attempt to scare others into thinking that the updated policy is going to cost them their job in order to further their failed agenda is a flat out lie!!
We have around 20K drivers, currently only about half of those have cameras, and only 5 of those who have cameras have been called into question, which proves that their fear mongering is a flat out lie!!

Fearmongering or scaremongering is the spreading of frightening and exaggerated rumors of an impending danger or the habit or tactic of purposely and needlessly arousing public fear about an issue. This can take the form of psychological manipulation that uses fear-based tactics (scare tactics) including exaggeration and usually repetitions to influence the public in order to achieve a desired outcome.

Using fear mongering and scare tactics in an attempt to scare others into thinking that the updated policy is going to cost them their job in order to further their failed agenda is a flat out lie!!
We have around 20K drivers, currently only about half of those have cameras, and only 5 of those who have cameras have been called into question, which proves that their fear mongering is a flat out lie!!

You have no idea how many drivers have been called into question to say so is hearsay. The only people that have lied is management when they told all of us when we got cameras that they would never be used for discipline. Yes this new policy could cost someone their job pretty easy sorry you can't understand that.

You have no idea how many drivers have been called into question to say so is hearsay. The only people that have lied is management when they told all of us when we got cameras that they would never be used for discipline. Yes this new policy could cost someone their job pretty easy sorry you can't understand that.
You're correct, not sure as to how many exactly but since they're showing examples pulled from actual recorded footage, one would think that they would show all to cover every example...
We watched 5 clips showing what was considered egregious driving behavior.

Don't recall mgt ever saying they would "never", another case of you hearing what you wanted to hear.

Now you are fear mongering, the only way someone could lose their job is if they exhibited egregious and extremely dangerous driving behaviors...are you saying you condone this behavior and that these drivers shouldn't receive corrective action??

I'm going to put the brakes on this runaway right now before it gets any worse.

First off: While I DO disagree with cameras fundamentally, I have only heard of drivers losing their jobs over FORWARD FACING footage if they actually did something legitimately wrong. Something they should have known better not to do, like rear ending a vehicle because they were following too closely or into a stopped vehicle because they clearly weren't paying attention.

There is a difference between CORRECTIVE ACTION/COACHING and BEING FIRED. And if you are repeatedly subject to coaching for the same problems, that's indicative of someone unwilling to learn or change their habits. That's STILL not cause enough to be fired in the eyes of the law, but it will make them pay closer attention to you.

You cannot be fired unless the camera sees you doing something illegal. It is in no way EASY to fire you for not doing something illegal. This notion that an at-will employee can be fired at any time, for any reason is a complete lie and is indicative of someone who doesn't know their own rights.

I am a self-employed owner/operator. I have a contractual agreement with Speedy Transport to lease my tractor to them and operate it on their behalf in exchange for payment for services rendered. I can be released from this contract at any time, for any reason that Speedy Transport deems due cause, including failure to abide by the guidelines laid out in the contract.

An employee, by comparison, has been retained by a legally binding agreement that must conform with municipal, state, provincial and federal employment laws. This alone is the reason why carriers prefer owner/operators. Because they CAN'T fire an employee without being able to prove due cause.

You're correct, not sure as to how many exactly but since they're showing examples pulled from actual recorded footage, one would think that they would show all to cover every example...

Don't recall mgt ever saying they would "never", another case of you hearing what you wanted to hear.

Now you are fear mongering, the only way someone could lose their job is if they exhibited egregious and extremely dangerous driving behaviors...are you saying you condone this behavior and that these drivers shouldn't receive corrective action??

You don't recall management ever saying never because you all don't have cameras. They repeated it over and over to us that there would never be discipline. No one is condoning these actions, but its the truth anyone can now loose their job because of this policy fact. Im saying fed ex should have told us the truth up front and not changed the rules in the game at half time.

I'm going to put the brakes on this runaway right now before it gets any worse.

First off: While I DO disagree with cameras fundamentally, I have only heard of drivers losing their jobs over FORWARD FACING footage if they actually did something legitimately wrong. Something they should have known better not to do, like rear ending a vehicle because they were following too closely or into a stopped vehicle because they clearly weren't paying attention.

There is a difference between CORRECTIVE ACTION/COACHING and BEING FIRED. And if you are repeatedly subject to coaching for the same problems, that's indicative of someone unwilling to learn or change their habits. That's STILL not cause enough to be fired in the eyes of the law, but it will make them pay closer attention to you.

You cannot be fired unless the camera sees you doing something illegal. It is in no way EASY to fire you for not doing something illegal. This notion that an at-will employee can be fired at any time, for any reason is a complete lie and is indicative of someone who doesn't know their own rights.

I am a self-employed owner/operator. I have a contractual agreement with Speedy Transport to lease my tractor to them and operate it on their behalf in exchange for payment for services rendered. I can be released from this contract at any time, for any reason that Speedy Transport deems due cause, including failure to abide by the guidelines laid out in the contract.

An employee, by comparison, has been retained by a legally binding agreement that must conform with municipal, state, provincial and federal employment laws. This alone is the reason why carriers prefer owner/operators. Because they CAN'T fire an employee without being able to prove due cause.

It may be different in Canada but down here an "at will employee" can be fired with or without cause.

http://employment.findlaw.com/hiring-process/at-will-employee-faq-s.html

What is up with your total lack of comprehension? Is would be so easy to react to your flippant comment, with an equally arrogant line..:ranting2: But instead I'll ask a couple questions:

Where did you read that I was listening, IN ORDER TO FORMULATE MY OPINION? That is NOT what was said. :nono h4h:

Did you not see the original post, where I said I "wouldn't tell you what to think, but I do recommend that you DO think about it"? There is a reason I held back. I didn't want to influence the opinion, but rather encourage the discussion.

Side Note: Perhaps the person you mentioned, liked it because it is true on a number of levels. The same reason you didn't like it. It was uncomfortably true.

Had our preshift today on the said posted letter in the first post on this subject. The exact letter was read to us as along with 3 videos of our drivers commiting a termination event. Two videos where our trucks using the berm to pass a slower vehicle, one going through a toll both at a high speed almost ass ending a car. Then some safe driving events where shown. These drivers will stay employed only because a telamatic policy was not in place when these events took place. As of your meetings the policy is in place.
It is a three step review process to determine your out come. First Harrison, then your terminal then the Saftey review board.
So if I missed something someone chime in that has been to a meeting

Last edited:
Our merry little group of "concerned drivers" in CLT should be an authority on fear mongering considering they were the ones running around telling people they wouldn't get a raise (we did), they wouldn't get a bonus (we did), we were asking for "super seniority" for shop stewards (never have, nor will), would have to pay dues once we voted the union in (not till we have a contract), won't hire any road drivers while union is here (wrong again!), how we would be in the CSPF, how our insurance was at the point of verge of being at "Cadillac" status (complete lie look at your own w2 to see that) and the worse one of all how a scissor lift across the street was there because we were going to be on strike! (Lol, how humiliating for them!!). And how kind it was for several of the "concerned drivers" stuffing people's mailboxes and tractors with anti-union leaflets which communicated a number of items in their minds they were "concerned" about that people should be FEARFUL about. In other words, a bunch of BS!!

Side Note: everyone remember the anti-union meetings we we FORCED to attend before the election where we got to listen to the kind $3,500 a day people from LRI who aren't biased in their presentation (yea.....right!) about all the pitfalls of being in the union? If that wasn't fear-mongering on an epic scale what was? Also the numerous postings on a pension fund we would never be involved with in the first place.... but oddly enough never any mention of union employees at our very own company who have an epic benefits package including insurance and retirement that hands down is the very BEST in their entire industry yet we should be thankful for what we have and not worry about what others have, and some BS as far as benefits go less is more lol.... Don't cast stones when you live in glass houses... Just sayin...

Our merry little group of "concerned drivers" in CLT should be an authority on fear mongering considering they were the ones running around telling people they wouldn't get a raise (we did), they wouldn't get a bonus (we did), we were asking for "super seniority" for shop stewards (never have, nor will), would have to pay dues once we voted the union in (not till we have a contract), won't hire any road drivers while union is here (wrong again!), how we would be in the CSPF, how our insurance was at the point of verge of being at "Cadillac" status (complete lie look at your own w2 to see that) and the worse one of all how a scissor lift across the street was there because we were going to be on strike! (Lol, how humiliating for them!!). And how kind it was for several of the "concerned drivers" stuffing people's mailboxes and tractors with anti-union leaflets which communicated a number of items in their minds they were "concerned" about that people should be FEARFUL about. In other words, a bunch of BS!!

Side Note: everyone remember the anti-union meetings we we FORCED to attend before the election where we got to listen to the kind $3,500 a day people from LRI who aren't biased in their presentation (yea.....right!) about all the pitfalls of being in the union? If that wasn't fear-mongering on an epic scale what was? Also the numerous postings on a pension fund we would never be involved with in the first place.... but oddly enough never any mention of union employees at our very own company who have an epic benefits package including insurance and retirement that hands down is the very BEST in their entire industry yet we should be thankful for what we have and not worry about what others have, and some BS as far as benefits go less is more lol.... Don't cast stones when you live in glass houses... Just sayin...

Oh boy you got everything the rest of us got. No wait a minute you didn't get the vacation raise for your city drivers. I wonder why that was, could it be that you have nothing to bargain with? I feel sorry for your city drivers and the money they are losing because of your union. But hey maybe you can get another paper towel dispenser.

You do realize there is a labor charge on that right? The UNION is fighting for them to get it like they should have to begin with. Now YOUR fear mongering lol.

You do realize there is a labor charge on that right? The UNION is fighting for them to get it like they should have to begin with. Now YOUR fear mongering lol.

The way I hear it the pro union drivers are their own worst enemy. The company doesn't need union busters with those jerks running around doing themselves in. So much for a brotherhood with the biggest mouthpiece running around constantly trying to get drivers fired. I've posted in another thread my feelings on attempting to cost a man his job.

You would think in a right to work state he would attempt to unite his work group in order to have leverage. Instead, he's driving his allies away and turning them against him and his beloved Union.

Maybe he knows his days are numbered so he's trying to take as many with him as he can out of anger.

You aren't going to get the vacation rate, and you aren't getting a raise in October. Everything is negotiated now.

You're getting what you wanted so why complain when the non union centers get something? You don't get your cake and get to eat it too.

What is up with your total lack of comprehension? Is would be so easy to react to your flippant comment, with an equally arrogant line..:ranting2: But instead I'll ask a couple questions:

Where did you read that I was listening, IN ORDER TO FORMULATE MY OPINION? That is NOT what was said. :nono h4h:

Did you not see the original post, where I said I "wouldn't tell you what to think, but I do recommend that you DO think about it"? There is a reason I held back. I didn't want to influence the opinion, but rather encourage the discussion.

Side Note: Perhaps the person you mentioned, liked it because it is true on a number of levels. The same reason you didn't like it. It was uncomfortably true.

You said, "I won't tell you what to think about it", then you said, "Sometimes it is best to listen for a bit, before going on the record with an opinion."

You act as if you're E.F. Hutton and everyone hinges on your every word so you're going to remain quiet in an attempt not to influence opinion, then you act as if it's best to sit back and listen before going on record in case others make a sensible point that may contradict your original opinion. Just say what you mean and mean what you say...there is no right or wrong, that's why it's called an opinion!!

Side Note: perhaps he "liked" it because of the poster and not the message and perhaps I didn't "like" it because even though I may have agreed/disagreed, I don't always "like" every post I read.
Example: I like Dick's post ^^^^^ but I didn't "like" it.

It may be different in Canada but down here an "at will employee" can be fired with or without cause.

http://employment.findlaw.com/hiring-process/at-will-employee-faq-s.html
Call it a funny feeling, but FedEx would have an awfully hard time finding anyone willing to work for them if they started firing everyone over nothing just because they can. Even if you're right, it would hurt FedEx.

At the end of the day, it's completely baseless until the day that FedEx actually does baselessly fire a driver for no reason. And if they do, the publicity would be so bad that they'd regret it within weeks.

Seems you left out one little detail....we said those things would be "frozen" which is correct!! We said it's up to the union on whether or not we would get those things, which again is correct!! You haven't asked for "super seniority"...yet (we can't trust your word). Everyone knows you don't pay dues until a contract is ratified, don't recall anyone claiming "no road drivers would be hired", nor that "we would in the CSPF", I'll need proof of these claims!! (I still have the letters to prove you otherwise)
Now on to the infamous "scissor lift"....with all of the high crime in the area, it's funny how the lift hasn't shown back up since that week almost a year ago!! Are you really naive enough to believe a generic email response from the CMPD when the morning they set the scissor lift up, they were walking across the street to the white lines painted on the curb at the entrance of our driveway to make sure their cameras had an unobstructed view and the morning of your alleged strike, there were patrol cars parked in the convenience store parking lot facing our direction?? (and I wasn't the only one to witness these events) They must've been expecting "high crime" in our driveway!!

Let's also quickly touch on something YOU said...when trying to drum up support before our election, you told some of us on a conference call that after one year of negotiating if a contract wasn't ratified, that you would support a decert movement and help to rid our company of the union if you were to win the election...are you still good for your word or was this just another lie??
(Remember, this was a conference call with others on the phone who WILL confirm you said this)

Side Note: those anti-union meetings weren't fear mongering, that was reality...everything that was said in our meetings has come true!! You should've taken the time to actually read those post about the CSPF and you would've known what the intent was. Maybe you should've became a pilot instead of a truck driver!!

Consider your sources.... As far as what we get/don't get we will revisit that later but you are quite wrong about me saying anything about voting for a decert after a year, I said I would vote no to a bad contract, but to clear it up for you I will NEVER vote for a decert. Set that in stone. As far as the scissor lift it hasn't shown up at ANY of the places it was at last year.

Side note: the forced anti union meetings was fear mongering I seem to recall a cfo stating he would be he guy across from us at the table and he wouldn't agree to this or that and blah blah blah. Guess what? He's been a big no show up to this point imagine that. As far as the kind fellow from LRI, he was full of crap and I imagine he and his partners still are. They were hired to illicit a no vote and it didn't happen. Too many saw through their BS.

Had our preshift today on the said posted letter in the first post on this subject. The exact letter was read to us as along with 3 videos of our drivers commiting a termination event. Two videos where our trucks using the berm to pass a slower vehicle, one going through a toll both at a high speed almost ass ending a car. Then some safe driving events where shown. These drivers will stay employed only because a telamatic policy was not in place when these events took place. As of your meetings the policy is in place.
It is a three step review process to determine your out come. First Harrison, then your terminal then the Saftey review board.
So if I missed something someone chime in that has been to a meeting
I'm curious about these "safe driving videos", you mention. :scratchhead:

Also, did you see the double yellow Celedon pass? I ask, because I wrote down 5 videos, as we were told there would be, but I'm not certain we saw 5. There was the toll both, the shoulder, & double yellow passes. How many safe driving videos did you watch?