FedEx Freight | Policy Update: Active collision mitigation system & Fwd facing cameras

You said, "I won't tell you what to think about it", then you said, "Sometimes it is best to listen for a bit, before going on the record with an opinion."

You act as if you're E.F. Hutton and everyone hinges on your every word so you're going to remain quiet in an attempt not to influence opinion, then you act as if it's best to sit back and listen before going on record in case others make a sensible point that may contradict your original opinion. Just say what you mean and mean what you say..

You are becoming more of an irritant than anything else, lately. I say exactly what I mean, but unlike you, I often ask questions as to what others think. Kind of keeps it interesting, ya know? No one's opinion is any more (or less) valuable than yours (or mine). I'm not here to just spew my opinion, I'm curious about the opinion of the whole class. Even yours (sometimes).

Lets' not forget that I had not yet had "the official pre-shift" until Friday. Therefore it seemed wise to listen to other opinions and hold off until it was official. As it turns out, the directive originally posted was absolutely correct, and the source absolutely reliable, despite YOUR skepticism.

Funny thing, it seems you couldn't decide whether to be concerned about my opinion, or whether to discount the whole thing as hearsay, until it was official.

Certainly entertaining to look back :popcorn:

I agree but since we haven't been informed of any policies on the subject yet, again, it's all hearsay to us...and we know how that goes, some only hear what they want to hear!!

2) Correct, you haven't given your opinion yet. Asking if you condone this type of behavior is another way of asking for your opinion!!

Since you refuse to give us your opinion on the policy, what is your opinion on tailgating...or what do you consider tailgating, using the car in front of you as a hood ornament??

Note: you've already reminded the class that all industry guidelines recommend a following distance of 4 secs.
In the spirit of time management, that's all you get... SeeYa :smilie93c peelout:

Last edited:
Consider your sources.... As far as what we get/don't get we will revisit that later but you are quite wrong about me saying anything about voting for a decert after a year, I said I would vote no to a bad contract, but to clear it up for you I will NEVER vote for a decert. Set that in stone. As far as the scissor lift it hasn't shown up at ANY of the places it was at last year.

Side note: the forced anti union meetings was fear mongering I seem to recall a cfo stating he would be he guy across from us at the table and he wouldn't agree to this or that and blah blah blah. Guess what? He's been a big no show up to this point imagine that. As far as the kind fellow from LRI, he was full of crap and I imagine he and his partners still are. They were hired to illicit a no vote and it didn't happen. Too many saw through their BS.
Wrong answer....I'll have someone confirm for you tomorrow what you said, they were on the phone and heard it too...and we didn't figure you'd keep your word, surprise surprise!!
No mention of an alleged strike...must mean crime is down!!

Side Note: guess you didn't get the memo that Mr Brown, the CFO at the time, has since retired. Actually, they were hired to explain what we could expect to happen should we vote yes since they've been on both sides of the fence...and again, everything they said "could" happen has happened...and I'll go with to many believed your BS, first time shame on you, second time shame on them...and you can rest assured the majority won't buy it the second time!!

Swamp, Red, please bring it down a notch. You are both professional enough to not let it degenerate the way it has, and you are both provoking each other.

This is NOT the way to debate this topic, and shame on both of you for being so reactionary towards each other. You are both better than taking pot shots at each other like this.

Swamp we saw three Saftey one the person fell from a side walk in the path of the truck, one where a car coming the wrong direction and one a pickup pulling a cattle car took a hood mirror off

You are becoming more of an irritant than anything else, lately. I say exactly what I mean, but unlike you, I often ask questions as to what others think. Kind of keeps it interesting, ya know? No one's opinion is any more (or less) valuable than yours (or mine). I'm not here to just spew my opinion, I'm curious about the opinion of the whole class. Even yours (sometimes).

Lets' not forget that I had not yet had "the official pre-shift" until Friday. Therefore it seemed wise to listen to other opinions and hold off until it was official. As it turns out, the directive originally posted was absolutely correct, and the source absolutely reliable, despite YOUR skepticism.

Funny thing, it seems you couldn't decide whether to be concerned about my opinion, or whether to discount the whole thing as hearsay, until it was official.

Certainly entertaining to look back :popcorn:

In the spirit of time management, that's all you get... SeeYa :smilie93c peelout:
Thanks for the flowers!! I ask questions all the time, not sure how you missed them...oh wait, you already knew this, that's why you made a false statement in an attempt to mislead the class...again.

So you just confirmed my statement that you "listening to formulate your opinion" was correct!! Who has the comprehension problem??

I was just curious as to your opinion...see, confirmation that I do ask questions...and technically, everything is hearsay until it's official...but now we're splitting hairs!!

Thanks for the flowers!! I ask questions all the time, not sure how you missed them...oh wait, you already knew this, that's why you made a false statement in an attempt to mislead the class...again.

So you just confirmed my statement that you "listening to formulate your opinion" was correct!! Who has the comprehension problem??

I was just curious as to your opinion...see, confirmation that I do ask questions...and technically, everything is hearsay until it's official...but now we're splitting hairs!!
Saying it over and over doesn't make it so. And WHY would I mislead the class? I don't see any benefit.

My opinion was established based on what seemed to be the policy. I waited until it was proven to be the actual policy, before sharing my opinion with the class.

The delay was, in part, based on your assertion that these memos are subject to change, "all the time". That turned out to be wrong, in this case.

Chase your tail, if you like. I'll watch, but I can't imagine a reason to comment further on this nonsense.

E. F. Hutton S. Ratt

Last edited:
Call it a funny feeling, but FedEx would have an awfully hard time finding anyone willing to work for them if they started firing everyone over nothing just because they can. Even if you're right, it would hurt FedEx.

At the end of the day, it's completely baseless until the day that FedEx actually does baselessly fire a driver for no reason. And if they do, the publicity would be so bad that they'd regret it within weeks.

I know you have your preconceived notions about what goes on here, but until you actually have worked here and seen it first hand you have no idea. Publicity?? Sorry i have yet to seen someone on news crying about losing their job unless they had a good reason. If you review the link i posted you will see the only way an "at will employee" has a chance at getting their job back is if they were sexually harassed, discriminated against, or they were let go because they were trying to form or assist a union.

The way I hear it the pro union drivers are their own worst enemy. The company doesn't need union busters with those jerks running around doing themselves in. So much for a brotherhood with the biggest mouthpiece running around constantly trying to get drivers fired. I've posted in another thread my feelings on attempting to cost a man his job.

You would think in a right to work state he would attempt to unite his work group in order to have leverage. Instead, he's driving his allies away and turning them against him and his beloved Union.

Maybe he knows his days are numbered so he's trying to take as many with him as he can out of anger.

You aren't going to get the vacation rate, and you aren't getting a raise in October. Everything is negotiated now.

You're getting what you wanted so why complain when the non union centers get something? You don't get your cake and get to eat it too.

Are you talking about me? If so i have never tried to get another "driver" fired sorry. In that other thread the op asked a question about stealing time if it was a offense that would get someone fired. I answered his question, you did not, that was your que to get on your high horse and preach to people. Then you in hypocrite fashon ran and reported the nature boys post trying to get him in trouble, but you fail to see the similarities in that.

Last edited:
I know you have your preconceived notions about what goes on here, but until you actually have worked here and seen it first hand you have no idea. Publicity?? Sorry i have yet to seen someone on news crying about losing their job unless they had a good reason. If you review the link i posted you will see the only way an "at will employee" has a chance at getting their job back is if they were sexually harassed, discriminated against, or they were let go because they were trying to form or assist a union.
You seem to have forgotten that I was a contractor at FedEx Freight Canada. I have worked under the big bureaucracy that you do, and unless you can definitively explain what FedEx could possibly hope to gain from firing drivers for no reason, it's hearsay.

As a contractor, they COULD fire me at any time, for any reason. The only time FedEx ever fired a contractor was if they did something astonishingly stupid and/or illegal. One such example was a city driver caught urinating on a customer's lawn. Another was an owner who got into a fist fight with a driver on FedEx property. A third would be the guy caught at Canada Customs after deciding to drink a 6 pack of beer.

Arguably, people who do stupid things like these three examples deserve punishment. At least one of them spent time in a jail cell, but all of them could have if the police got involved.

You are trying to suggest that FedEx will start indiscriminately firing drivers that they can ill afford to lose over video footage. What, then, will they fire everyone for? You think they'll fire you for drifting over the line a bit on a windy day when they can't replace you?

Come on, Crazy, I know you're big on joining the Teamsters but you can't possibly believe that FedEx actively wants to fire you when it is a FACT that they need you. Prove that a driver was fired for no legitimate reason before telling everyone "It could happen to you!"

The thing to remember about publicity is this: it doesn't have to be on the news. A driver fired for no reason is going to tell all his driver buddies what happened to him. He'll probably post about it online. Maybe even on Twitter for FedEx to see.

We live in the era of social media, and it wouldn't take much for people to think ill of FedEx if they did that.

Are you talking about me? If so i have never tried to get another "driver" fired sorry. In that other thread the op asked a question about stealing time if it was a offense that would get someone fired. I answered his question, you did not, that was your que to get on your high horse and preach to people. Then you in hypocrite fashon ran and reported the nature boys post trying to get him in trouble, but you fail to see the similarities in that.

I see you have a guilty conscience (and ego) but no, my post had nothing to do with you.

You seem to have forgotten that I was a contractor at FedEx Freight Canada. I have worked under the big bureaucracy that you do, and unless you can definitively explain what FedEx could possibly hope to gain from firing drivers for no reason, it's hearsay.

As a contractor, they COULD fire me at any time, for any reason. The only time FedEx ever fired a contractor was if they did something astonishingly stupid and/or illegal. One such example was a city driver caught urinating on a customer's lawn. Another was an owner who got into a fist fight with a driver on FedEx property. A third would be the guy caught at Canada Customs after deciding to drink a 6 pack of beer.

Arguably, people who do stupid things like these three examples deserve punishment. At least one of them spent time in a jail cell, but all of them could have if the police got involved.

You are trying to suggest that FedEx will start indiscriminately firing drivers that they can ill afford to lose over video footage. What, then, will they fire everyone for? You think they'll fire you for drifting over the line a bit on a windy day when they can't replace you?

Come on, Crazy, I know you're big on joining the Teamsters but you can't possibly believe that FedEx actively wants to fire you when it is a FACT that they need you. Prove that a driver was fired for no legitimate reason before telling everyone "It could happen to you!"

You know what..... nevermind. I'm not going to open that can of worms this late at night.

I was just about to agree with Crazy Trucker on something. :nono h4h:

You know what..... nevermind. I'm not going to open that can of worms this late at night.

I was just about to agree with Crazy Trucker on something. :nono h4h:
I'm not saying he's wrong. I'm saying objectively that FedEx is in the same position as literally every other carrier.

I have heard of people being fired for doing something wrong on camera. I have heard of carriers harassing people over what was on the camera (it happened to me personally). But I have never heard of anyone being fired over a corrective action.

All I want to know is why so many people are convinced that a bunch of people might get fired over forward facing camera footage. FedEx needs drivers, just like every other carrier. They haven't replaced us with drones, yet.

I lived with a Lytx Drive Cam for 5 months. I quit because it didn't sit right with me because I drive team. But in that time frame I was coached once, over what the company mistakenly believed was me driving with my phone in my hand (my right hand was out of the shot and they made assumptions). The safety guy got pissy with me, gave me attitude and called me a bad driver. I told him he was wrong, pointed out that I have never had an accident or any tickets and left the room. I still had a job, despite being a contractor. According to them, they KNEW what I was doing. That it was against company policy and the law. I worked for 4 more months afterwards before I quit of my own volition.

Canada and the US might be different, but the example I'm giving from my own personal experience with an inward facing camera and a company that cares a lot less about drivers and image than FedEx does weighs in as a pretty comparable scenario in this case.

Just keep in mind this train the company is on, this is just going to get other things added to it over time that has nothing to do with Saftey. You can call it mongering if you like but I see them adding GPS speeding to it.

Yeah like what were the triggers is my question.
Excellent question, CT!

We're told headway is not currently triggering video capture, but collision mitigation is... I'm guessing, in the toll booth example, closing headway triggered the collision mitigation (braking), which in turn triggered the video capture.
:idunno:
As far as the others, I'm not certain what triggered it. Roll stability is said to not yet be an active trigger. Perhaps it was Yaw Control, triggered from wheel spin in the less traveled part of the road.
:idunno:

Being a contractor is totally different. I have seen plenty but im not going to mention it in an open forum if you want some examples pm me. Where did i say they are going to start firing drivers for no reason over a video occurance? No reason to bring the union into this discussion it has nothing to do with what were talking about.