FedEx Freight | Policy Update: Active collision mitigation system & Fwd facing cameras

Excellent question, CT!

We're told headway is not currently triggering video capture, but collision mitigation is... I'm guessing, in the toll booth example, closing headway triggered the collision mitigation (braking), which in turn triggered the video capture.
:idunno:
As far as the others, I'm not certain what triggered it. Roll stability is said to not yet be an active trigger. Perhaps it was Yaw Control, triggered from wheel spin in the less traveled part of the road.

Exactly but who wants to look at facts.

Wonder if enough people have seen the videos yet, to discuss the specifics...

In our viewing, the shock value led most to conclude the drivers in all of the videos should be gone.

Now some will certainly question my assessment on this, but there seemed to be varying degrees of poor judgement. And valid reasons to need additional video to determine the "true safety risk", or danger posed.

Clearly the toll booth incident stands alone and above all, in terms of danger posed, brand image damaged, and shocking behavior displayed, IMHO.

Now, on the opposite end of the spectrum we have the illegal double yellow pass of the Celedon truck. I would like more video before and after. Certainly the move was illegal. No debate there. The rest of the story might show why such a sense of urgency, as well as what looked like a legal passing zone coming into view up ahead.

Did the driver have a better view of the road ahead than the camera had? Was that a passing zone ahead? I couldn't be certain due to the clip ending. Does the possibility of a clear view ahead AND (possibly) a passing zone ahead make any difference? Not a legal question, but a safety question.

I am of the opinion that most of the clips were road drivers from the time of day. Not to excuse the behavior but perhaps the tollbooth incident involved the driver being sleepy? I noticed that the speed limit on the telematics did not match the one painted on the road, The road showed 25 and telematics 70. Now as bad as the tollbooth incident was the pedestrian stumbling into the road is also played up if you think about it. Telematics showed 40 MPH zone but the driver had slowed to 20 because he thought something was odd ahead. Alert and ready to brake at a reduced speed made it easier to stop.

Excellent question, CT!

We're told headway is not currently triggering video capture, but collision mitigation is... I'm guessing, in the toll booth example, closing headway triggered the collision mitigation (braking), which in turn triggered the video capture.
As far as the others, I'm not certain what triggered it. Roll stability is said to not yet be an active trigger. Perhaps it was Yaw Control, triggered from wheel spin in the less traveled part of the road.
I don't know if headway is being sent or not but I received my first one yesterday and I'm not happy. Got a new Volvo and after 3 days of it give me my Pete back.

When these camera's first came online anybody with a employee # could get online and look at the video clips. I watched quite a few and i would say 95% of them were false alarms from the system. A lot of them were from taking a turn onto an entrance ram too fast or going around a round-a-bout.

Now they changed it so only management can log in. Kinda sucks, was fun to watch them. And FYI the clips are 20 seconds long, 10 seconds before and after the event.

Does this mean they're going to turn the trucks up so we can at least do the speed limit??
Now why would you think that!!!. Before you beat me up on this old Dominion already does this with there trucks, if the GPS knows your in a 55 mph zone and your going faster like 63, they get a speed violation letter.
Will FedEx do this, who knows and I'm speculating but the capibilty is there. Seen that from the toll booth video. Right on the screen said posted speed limit is 70 mph , so they already now if your speeding at the time of any recording.

Now why would you think that!!!. Before you beat me up on this old Dominion already does this with there trucks, if the GPS knows your in a 55 mph zone and your going faster like 63, they get a speed violation letter.
Will FedEx do this, who knows and I'm speculating but the capibilty is there. Seen that from the toll booth video. Right on the screen said posted speed limit is 70 mph , so they already now if your speeding at the time of any recording.
I guess you missed the humor in my post!! With the exception of a few 55mph zones/speed traps, almost everywhere we go the speed limit is 70 so in order to catch us using GPS speeding, they'd have to turn our trucks up to actually do the speed limit first.

I guess you missed the humor in my post!! With the exception of a few 55mph zones/speed traps, almost everywhere we go the speed limit is 70 so in order to catch us using GPS speeding, they'd have to turn our trucks up to actually do the speed limit first.

Unless you're exceeding the company speed limit. Let's say you're only allowed 65 mph max regardless of the posted limit, and each instance over it's timing you. At the end of your trip you're over the allowed percentage of, oh let's say three percent for example, then it's a corrective action. This is each time the electronic device determines you are over 65, not what your speedometer says. I have seen them where the Peoplenet has a delay as well to "catch up" once you slow down.
That's how it's done at some other carriers.
This is a Pandora's box if you ask me.

Unless you're exceeding the company speed limit. Let's say you're only allowed 65 mph max regardless of the posted limit, and each instance over it's timing you. At the end of your trip you're over the allowed percentage of, oh let's say three percent for example, then it's a corrective action. This is each time the electronic device determines you are over 65, not what your speedometer says. I have seen them where the Peoplenet has a delay as well to "catch up" once you slow down.
That's how it's done at some other carriers.
This is a Pandora's box if you ask me.
We already have a company max speed of 73mph, regardless of the posted speed limit. Others who already have the telematics will have to elaborate as to how the whole process works regarding overspeed/education/corrective action.

ODFL also has trucks that will run 70mph.

It simply amazing how some of you can take a statement butcher the hell out of it and it becomes something it was never meant to be.
First so what the company max speed is 73. At this time it chimes in the elog and you get a little message that you exceed the 74 mph speed. That all it does no RECORDING, I'll repeat no RECORDING.
I just know you have a Garman GPS at your house that knows the posted speed limit where your at at the time and if your going faster than it or aleast mine will change to red because I'm going faster than the posted speed limit.
So I say FedEx can start the same thing and some get it on here others you got to spell it out to them. FedEx can change any policy they want. Today 73 max tomorrow it's what the GPS reads don't exceed it or you get a recording. Don't think it can't happen.

Last edited:
Actually you need to check your sources...... er..... memos..... because he actually doesn't retire until late July this year.
Wrong again...he's since retired as CFO at FXFE. As much bellyaching as you do about their perks, I'm surprised you don't know who the executives of the company are!!

It simply amazing how some of you can take a statement butcher the hell out of it and it becomes something it was never meant to be.
First so what the company max speed is 73. At this time it chimes in the elog and you get a little message that you exceed the 74 mph speed. That all it does no RECORDING, I'll repeat no RECORDING.
I just know you have a Garman GPS at your house that knows the posted speed limit where your at at the time and if your going faster than it or aleast mine will change to red because I'm going faster than the posted speed limit.
So I say FedEx can start the same thing and some get it on here others you got to spell it out to them. FedEx can change any policy they want. Today 73 max tomorrow it's what the GPS reads don't exceed it or you get a recording. Don't think it can't happen.
Take a chill pill bro...we were just elaborating on the topic you brought up, no harm no foul. No one was "butchering" anything you said, conversations evolve and it just so happens this one went in that direction, it's ok.

Wrong again...he's since retired as CFO at FXFE. As much bellyaching as you do about their perks, I'm surprised you don't know who the executives of the company are!!
I think the "Owl" gottcha, on that one.

Per the FXFE intranet, Don Brown "will retire" July, 31 2017. Perhaps you might email him, for verification. dcbrown@...