FedEx Freight | Policy Update: Active collision mitigation system & Fwd facing cameras

Came into dispatch this morning and I had to laugh to my self . Two supervisors watching truck videos produced from our trucks.
Guess they had nothing better to do but try to find a reason to get a driver on the carpet for his little pep talk.
THIS IS THE NEW REALISM of a policy they are dead set on to start new write ups.

Came into dispatch this morning and I had to laugh to my self . Two supervisors watching truck videos produced from our trucks.
Guess they had nothing better to do but try to find a reason to get a driver on the carpet for his little pep talk.
THIS IS THE NEW REALISM of a policy they are dead set on to start new write ups.
I didn't realize that "dispatchers" were part of the review committee. Seems I remember the "updated policy" saying that they would be sharing select videos produced from the cameras for educational purposes...perhaps these were the videos that the dispatchers were watching??

Swamp, the dispatcher wasn't in on it. We have two managers sitting behind dispatch with there back to you at the window but you can see there monitor. One was the linehaul manager other was in charge of the rail loads.
They where each watching these on there own system. The reason I know it's not a training video it has 3 screens, one the video, one with a pic of speedometer, other the path of road you was at.
I sat back and watched a few and we have a roundabout getting on the interstate which throws a yaw video. That's how I know it was vids from our trucks.
It is possible they were just going through to get rid of the trash videos that are triggered by the roundabout but you never now.

Has anyone else noticed that the following distance displayed is not accurate. My truck shows a 2 second distance when its really more like 3.5 to 4.

I love being based in California and being an hourly compensated road driver. Just put that puppy on 55mph and never worry about following distance.
Also, you make a ton of new friends every day.

Having been driving a fairly new Pete (in city) for around 4 months, I've had, on 2 occasions, the thrill of experiencing the active braking.

Both times, same scenario. Following a vehicle turning out. One at a intersection, the other into a parking lot. The system failed to predict the continuous motion, or was confused by the changing radius of the lead vehicle. Not a perfect system, yet.

The intersection "event" was most startling, as the system seemed to be happy, as long as the brake is covered. As soon as we went from braking to throttle, ALL STOP! Meanwhile the perceived danger was long gone, while we sit, looking foolish in the middle of the intersection.

I'm confident that these 2 events would stand up to scrutiny. But, so far that scrutiny has not come.

That, and the troublesome merging scenario, previously mentioned, seem most common.

Last edited:
We all knew it was coming lol. Not even six months after we got cameras that were said to be for educational purposes only now they changed the poilicy. We are having the preshift this week new policy includes write ups up to termination. Just another lie we were told, they should have been up front about it from the beginning.

We all knew it was coming lol. Not even six months after we got cameras that were said to be for educational purposes only now they changed the poilicy. We are having the preshift this week new policy includes write ups up to termination. Just another lie we were told, they should have been up front about it from the beginning.
They did the exact same thing to us as well.

FedEx has plans within next 10 years not needing us, there is a article written today in www.access-ai.com/articles/Fedex. When you go to this put FedEx in there search and it will come up.
The article says they are in talks right now with frieghtliners and Volvo for the self driving trucks.
All I see these soon could be write ups is a huge weed out before the buyout.

Last edited:
FedEx has plans within next 10 years not needing us, there is a article written today in www.access-ai.com/articles/Fedex. When you go to this put FedEx in there search and it will come up.
The article says they are in talks right now with frieghtliners and Volvo for the self driving trucks.
All I see these soon could be write ups is a huge weed out before the buyout.

Well, that should really help attract some great young drivers to the company. Hey kid, do you want a great job for a couple years, training your robotic replacement?

I know this is coming, but does a company information officer really need to go on record with it?

This is why they wave a great pension plan in front of the younger work force, simply to attract them with no intention of ever paying it out.

FedEx has plans within next 10 years not needing us,

I know something like this is on the way but 10 years seems awfully quick. Theyll have to be piles and piles of government regs before FedEx can go main stream with this. What about city routes? I doubt an automated system can hit some of the docks our guys see everyday.

It will take a lot longer than ten years before they can have a completely automated fleet. Autonomous vehicles are in their infancy right now and the systems don't function if it so much as rains. Full driver replacement will take years more to develop, and even longer before a fleet the size of FedEx's is replaced with them.

Can you imagine how expensive a FULLY AUTONOMOUS truck will be? I'm not afraid, and nobody else should be either.

My question is whats next? Every time they lie to us just drives that wedge in further.
Sadly, it's just a job. Plain and simple. It doesn't matter what company it is, they are all doing the same things. We don't matter anymore. Union barn or non-union barn, no difference. Just a warm body.

I love being based in California and being an hourly compensated road driver. Just put that puppy on 55mph and never worry about following distance.
Also, you make a ton of new friends every day.
I'm sure you can tell by the one fingered salute they give you! Nothing like a friendly horn honk to really brighten your day!

I will start by saying our barn has been using the elog and camera system for 4 months....that being said.....not a thing wrong with them. Obviously most of you have been misinformed or do not listen to what you're being told. The elog system is great...push the screen and go.. the camera system is not an issue if you don't drive like an idiot...I run 500+ miles a day and have not had a trigger event yet. The headway trigger is set off by following 2 seconds or closer for more than 3 miles at speeds above 55. If it triggers you're tailgating....period....the headway trigger has been suspended pending further studies....as of last week...there is a camera facing the driver on the tablet but is not being used. We were told we could tape over it if we felt like we needed to. Which mine has been for 4 months....not a word about it. I know for a fact my city driver has several triggers a day. Shows right on there. He has been talked to about a couple but no write ups.....so all you conspiracy theorists can stop worrying.....shut up and drive like the professionals you're supposed to be and don't worry about it.......

I will start by saying our barn has been using the elog and camera system for 4 months....that being said.....not a thing wrong with them. Obviously most of you have been misinformed or do not listen to what you're being told. The elog system is great...push the screen and go.. the camera system is not an issue if you don't drive like an idiot...I run 500+ miles a day and have not had a trigger event yet. The headway trigger is set off by following 2 seconds or closer for more than 3 miles at speeds above 55. If it triggers you're tailgating....period....the headway trigger has been suspended pending further studies....as of last week...there is a camera facing the driver on the tablet but is not being used. We were told we could tape over it if we felt like we needed to. Which mine has been for 4 months....not a word about it. I know for a fact my city driver has several triggers a day. Shows right on there. He has been talked to about a couple but no write ups.....so all you conspiracy theorists can stop worrying.....shut up and drive like the professionals you're supposed to be and don't worry about it.......

There is no conspiracy we have a new policy apparently you haven't had the preshift yet.

Obviously you don't drive in a metro city area. Why don't you tell your comment to the 11 or so hubs and terminals in the Chicago region that are getting about 400 events triggered per day. Again another person that isn't looking at the whole picture just the small window of his individual world. How Washington DC area,Baltimore, Dallas, N.Y.,NJ

Obviously you don't drive in a metro city area. Why don't you tell your comment to the 11 or so hubs and terminals in the Chicago region that are getting about 400 events triggered per day. Again another person that isn't looking at the whole picture just the small window of his individual world. How Washington DC area,Baltimore, Dallas, N.Y.,NJ
My thoughts exactly, I drive a mountain range where I'm finding I'm forced now to run slower because I can't overtake a simple pass of a slower vehicle. Now they dictate your speed because of the underpowered, slowest trucks out here. Today's technology and this crap will not climb the smallest hill with dropping to eighth gear.
These trucks should go up without downshifting at all. 99% of my day somebody is passing me putting me in some bad situations where I can't even get over for broke down vehicles. Turn signals mean nothing and cb just gets you a ass chewing of why are you in the hammer lane.
But it's all about safety right

Last edited: