ABF | Political Action

canaryinthemine

Retirement....The Job I Was Born To Have!
Credits
I'm on here to toot my own horn...........Our Political Action Committee has gotten a Teamster member elected Mayor of Jeannette, Pa. The news article and picture are on Teamster.org. Bill Hamilton of Pa. Conference of Teamsters is citing their help for getting him elected,.......and they did pitch in a good bit of money,.....but they had no idea who Curtis Antoniak was until our PAC fund contacted them about contributions.

We actually put in more money than the PA. Conference, but the article doesn't acknowledge that.......Oh well......

The picture is of Curtis and one of the Westmoreland County Commissioners, Ted Kopas........That's not my picture,.....I ain't that young......

We are the only Local in the tri-state area to have our own PAC fund.....As you can see,.....the local politicians take notice of us, especially the ones with municipal contracts with Local #30.

You CAN make a difference if you bother to get active. Good Ol' Curtis was just a city employee on the road crew.....steward,....and he took on an entrenched incumbent politician with the backing of the Chamber of Commerce right here in the back yard of the late Richard Mellon Scaife's Tribune-Review Total Media......

And won........with 76% of the vote, plus 365 Republican write-in votes,.....so there will be no general election in November,.....He is Mayor as of now,....due to the crossover write-ins.

This is big news,....especially in Scaife's Trump/Coal country. Since he bought that newspaper 20 years ago, he's been pushing this tri-state area further and further to the right. And now that he has passed, his editorial board is continuing that "good" work......

Congratulations to Brother Antoniak! (.......he now insists that we call him "Your Honor"......)

I'm on here to toot my own horn...........Our Political Action Committee has gotten a Teamster member elected Mayor of Jeannette, Pa. The news article and picture are on Teamster.org. Bill Hamilton of Pa. Conference of Teamsters is citing their help for getting him elected,.......and they did pitch in a good bit of money,.....but they had no idea who Curtis Antoniak was until our PAC fund contacted them about contributions.

We actually put in more money than the PA. Conference, but the article doesn't acknowledge that.......Oh well......

The picture is of Curtis and one of the Westmoreland County Commissioners, Ted Kopas........That's not my picture,.....I ain't that young......

We are the only Local in the tri-state area to have our own PAC fund.....As you can see,.....the local politicians take notice of us, especially the ones with municipal contracts with Local #30.

You CAN make a difference if you bother to get active. Good Ol' Curtis was just a city employee on the road crew.....steward,....and he took on an entrenched incumbent politician with the backing of the Chamber of Commerce right here in the back yard of the late Richard Mellon Scaife's Tribune-Review Total Media......

And won........with 76% of the vote, plus 365 Republican write-in votes,.....so there will be no general election in November,.....He is Mayor as of now,....due to the crossover write-ins.

This is big news,....especially in Scaife's Trump/Coal country. Since he bought that newspaper 20 years ago, he's been pushing this tri-state area further and further to the right. And now that he has passed, his editorial board is continuing that "good" work......

Congratulations to Brother Antoniak! (.......he now insists that we call him "Your Honor"......)
:clapping: congratulations and good luck to the man.

Does the mayor actually have power there, in some cities the mayor is simply a ceremonial role with no political power.

Does the mayor actually have power there, in some cities the mayor is simply a ceremonial role with no political power.

Jeannette is a distressed city recovering from the loss of it's glass industry. The mayor, in this case, has some pretty broad powers. The previous mayor wanted to subcontract out the sanitation dept. even though it was one of the most profitable things in the city......... about $900, 000 of revenue yearly....Waste Management has a large medical waste facility on the edge of town,.....I don't know if that had anything to do with the "subcontracting " offer......

The salary is just a stipend..... but control of the budget and several Union CBA's is pretty important.

By the way, on an historical note, Jeannette, Pa. was the hometown of TWO IBT Presidents. Frank Fitzsimmons was born in Jeannette, of course his family moved to Detroit when he was four,.......
And, Tom Sever, Secretary Treasurer under Ron Carey, and acting head of the IBT once Mr. Carey was ......removed.
Good Ol Tom........ personality of a cranky badger, voice like an unmuffled Mack........... honest as the day was long. That's why he survived the Carey "scandal" with his reputation intact......