Central Transport | Positives about working at Central

You guys asked and I responded with my opinions. I am mid 40's, been in this trucking game since 1990. It's all I have ever done and I am not management. I hated Vitran and love Central. I am more and more beginning to feel the attitude Joe posted above. "Don't want to come, ok.......see ya". Something to think about, you all whine and complain about morale and in about 2 weeks time, you've made me not want to come on truckingboards anymore because of the constant negativity and complaining. I couldn't imagine working with half you guys. No wonder everyone is miserable around you guys and at Vitran.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Don't let that keep you off the board...You can't have thin skin and be on here. The moderators know what's up in most cases and just sit back and do what they do to keep the peace. They know management is on here from time to time and they know who they are in most cases. We call no one out unless they break the rules...We expose know one either. You can trust this board for real time information....Don't worry about what goes on behind the seen...Because trust me.....The MODERATORS got your back. And your anonymity is secure....If you wish to remain anonymous I can assure that you will be....Most people give themselves away with their comments and we have can't control that....But we can protect your anonymity And mothergoose if you can't imagine working with half the guys here that are negative....Then don't.....Work with the ones that are positive. Most people are searching for happiness. They're looking for it. They're trying to find it in someone or something outside themselves. That's a fundamental mistake. Happiness is something you are, and it comes from the way that you think. Many hate it when I start to get philosophical but tonight they will just have to get over it...So H.E> don't start on me...Isn't it past your bedtime?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good post and some good info as well, more than we have been getting from Central management. I will give you MY opinion as to why there is so much negativity. For the last 2+ years Vitran employees have been lied to. We have endured many changes and accepted concessions under the promise of a better tomorrow, it never came. While most major LTL carriers were turning a profit, Vitran continued to post massive losses. Vitran closed its west coast operations and had hinted that they would close the Milan territory in an effort to return to a regional carrier. While being sold was always an option it seemed as though Vitran was going to try and salvage its core area.

Central is different, they don't operate like most LTL companies( at least in my 5 state region). FedEx, Conway, OD, Vitran ect. base a large chunk of their business on overnight service, sometimes as far away as 600 miles. Central, at this point has no linehaul structure in place to do this. We have accounts that have gone to Central that are taking 2 days to move 250 miles simply because of the way Central runs its linehaul. My biggest concern is if Central will be able to keep these accounts?

I was glad Central finally "clarified" the PTO situation, it might slow down the flood of people calling in to burn their PTO days. The sad part is its been very difficult to get anything in writing from HR concerning integration.

The ball is in their court. What kind of company do they want to be? Do they want to continue to be a low cost, no frills carrier? Or are they planning to compete with the major players? The worst part is not knowing.

Have not been on here for a few weeks. Biglarry28, regarding how linehaul operates. Sit tight my friend, with the density we have now you are going to see next day expand by thousands of lanes per day. We just started a linehaul that will go to/from Charlotte NC to STL every day. Unheard of in the past. Also will be a direct Charlotte to CLV, it used to run through Richmond. If we can keep the accounts you are going to see next day lanes explode and see 3 day lanes turn into 2 day lanes. There are a lot of positives, concise cut times as momma goose said, concise start times and end times to your day. You won't be out till 7 pm on a Friday with a two hour drive back to your barn.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Don't let that keep you off the board...You can't have thin skin to and be on here. The moderators know what's up in most cases and just sit back and do what they do to keep the peace. They know management is on here from time to time and they know who they are in most cases. We call no one out unless they break the rules...We expose know one either. You can trust this board for real time information....Don't worry about what goes on behind the seen...Because trust me.....The MODERATORS got your back. And your anonymity is job one for us....If you wish to remain anonymous I can assure you will....Most people give themselves away with their comments and we have can't control that....But we can damn sure protect your freedom of speech and you can take that to the bank. And mothergoose if you can't imagine working with half the guys here that are negative....Then don't.....Work with the ones that are positive. Most people are searching for happiness. They're looking for it. They're trying to find it in someone or something outside themselves. That's a fundamental mistake. Happiness is something you are, and it comes from the way that you think. Many hate it when I start to get philosophical but tonight they will just have to get over it...So H.E> don't start on me...Isn't it past your bedtime?

H. E. is a crabass, heard he doesn't believe in Santa Claus anymore.

You guys asked and I responded with my opinions. I am mid 40's, been in this trucking game since 1990. It's all I have ever done and I am not management. I hated Vitran and love Central. I am more and more beginning to feel the attitude Joe posted above. "Don't want to come, ok.......see ya". Something to think about, you all whine and complain about morale and in about 2 weeks time, you've made me not want to come on truckingboards anymore because of the constant negativity and complaining. I couldn't imagine working with half you guys. No wonder everyone is miserable around you guys and at Vitran.

Good post, same reason I have not been on here for a few weeks. Plus I have been too busy since this all came together. What barn you work at, maybe I can come shake your hand and say hello?

Can someone tells me about the hand held devices that you are assigned and use to clock in and out with? Just heard today from a former CT driver who works in my barn, that if you work the dock and do not scan a barcode in 5-7 minutes it will automatically clock you out. If you do not notice that it clocked you out, you could be losing big bucks working for free.

My understanding we still have guys whining and wanting to quit. Well word from pretty high up on that Warren, MI hill is "hey if they don't want to come, uh, ok, so be it" You come with a good attitude wanting to work and get along with everyone great, welcome aboard, you come with a chip on your shoulder feeling you're above everyone and you are better than everyone, go hang with Keylon, you and him have a lot in common.

I agree with this. It is just too bad CT where I am is not a positive place to work.

In a top down management style maanagement is responsible for everything though. That includes actions and attitudes.

Have not been on here for a few weeks. Biglarry28, regarding how linehaul operates. Sit tight my friend, with the density we have now you are going to see next day expand by thousands of lanes per day. We just started a linehaul that will go to/from Charlotte NC to STL every day. Unheard of in the past. Also will be a direct Charlotte to CLV, it used to run through Richmond. If we can keep the accounts you are going to see next day lanes explode and see 3 day lanes turn into 2 day lanes. There are a lot of positives, concise cut times as momma goose said, concise start times and end times to your day. You won't be out till 7 pm on a Friday with a two hour drive back to your barn.

I hope your right my friend. I want CT to be successful and be the company Vitran could have been. I'm sorry if my constructive criticism comes across as pure negativity. I've been at this for a few years, working for several companies as a P&D driver, linehaul driver, dock supervisor and operations manager. Some companies were profitable and some went belly-up, those that failed always seemed to follow the same path. We have a small window in which to get this right, our customers will cut us some slack during the transition, but that won't last more than a few weeks. I was involved with the Viking disaster in the 90's, they formed the template of how not to do a merger. In my opinion it's easier to learn from someone else's mistakes.

I'm glad your getting some info from Michigan because they won't tell our local CT manager jack squat. Maybe they should ask why people aren't excited to go work for CT? One of my biggest concerns is your CSA score, you're at the level where the DOT is encouraged to inspect you at the scale; there is no prize for hitting triple digits. In fairness Vitran's score had been creeping up from failure to maintain equipment, due to a lack of funds. CT is owned by a billionaire, what's his excuse?
what's the difference? Your CSA scores are at the bottom with ct. Dot stops you guys just the same. Please stop with the delusion that your CSA scores were soooo great and ours are soooo bad! Your right there with us! The reason our scores are higher is.. half the equipment you guys use is straight trucks,no other Ltl uses as many straight trucks as you. That's the main reasons your unsafe driving is lower than ours, everything thing else your at the bottom right next to your brothers central transport!!!!

A vitran truck a central pup n a chris pup going down the road today, you guys r reminding me of ups freight. We both r so colorful goin down the road

UPS is light years better than Central Transport, Vitran, PJax, Milan, Chris, Quast, ETC ETC ETC. You guys actually go down the road :) and I bet your checks are much better too. Oh, and your retirement, oh and your health insurance, oh and your CSA score. You get the point.

what's the difference? Your CSA scores are at the bottom with ct. Dot stops you guys just the same. Please stop with the delusion that your CSA scores were soooo great and ours are soooo bad! Your right there with us! The reason our scores are higher is.. half the equipment you guys use is straight trucks,no other Ltl uses as many straight trucks as you. That's the main reasons your unsafe driving is lower than ours, everything thing else your at the bottom right next to your brothers central transport!!!!

Central Transport and Vitran, together like two pair of dirty underwear.

I agree with ya. The difference between the two companies is minimal. I am old V, but have nothing to defend for V or CT.

guess out of my barn we must only run about 14 trucks total since half of them are straight trucks, wonder why we have at our high point 50 city drivers? and after almost half of our city drivers are at central as of Mon we still have 25 on the roster.

Son, I try really hard to not slam people on a personal level but for you I will make an exception. You have been nothing but hostile since your first post. You choose to ignore facts and completely fabricate things..."half our trucks are straight trucks"....really? FYI a score in the 90's is worse than a score in the 70's. I told you why Vitran's score went up but I'm still waiting for your excuse for CT. You sir, are a MORON.

c.t. and vitran are both bottomfeeders, the only difference was vitran was a decent at one time and recently went downhill, c.t. has been a bottomfeeder for quite sometime.

Can someone tells me about the hand held devices that you are assigned and use to clock in and out with? Just heard today from a former CT driver who works in my barn, that if you work the dock and do not scan a barcode in 5-7 minutes it will automatically clock you out. If you do not notice that it clocked you out, you could be losing big bucks working for free.

It's 12 minutes, and there is also what they call "filler" time. It'll tell you if you've been booted off. If a piece of freight is taking a while to rack and deck, scan it a second time, it'll keep you from getting logged off.