Central Transport | Positives about working at Central

It's actually 22 min of no activity. If there is a piece scanned on your handheld.

sent from my Crifftastic $3

Thanks both of you for the info. I was at the Det Ct terminal today making a stop and the 3 yr veteran dockworker showed me the dolphin and told me it was 15 min, but you were ok if you scanned a barcode before 1 hour had gone by. It looks pretty easy to figure out.

Hey mothergoose, not to say the barn u r at isnt friendly,( in the yr i worked at ct i must have never been there), but why oh why do the employees in the whole midwest and all up n down the east, always try to get the teamsters in there? It is well documentedfor a long time now. The Dad would change the name, or move a barn that had the hourly employees about to sign cards, or just about to vote. Or maybe you can explain me this why was the ct barn in Hillside il (chicago area,northern part), once they voted in the teamsters they shut that barn down and moved there chicago operation into hammond indiana? And then they went to having mostly all owner ops peddling routes??? And the ones that went over to hammond ( the ones that didnt want the union in) they gotchecks with a differnt name as their company they worked for. And had to "reapply" but kept their pay senority and vac days.... plzzz inlighten me on how a scumbag like that would be a "great family" environment" Mothergoose you smell like management to me. Ctii is the worst LTL outfit out there. I should know i worked there, thats how i know about how "friendly" it is.

Just because you are pro union and didn't like working at CTII does not make them the worst carrier. In your opinion and in your own mind perhaps but you as one person do not define a company.

Sorry, but my paycheck is taking a beating because of CT.. I don't care how nice it is to work at a place, if money ain't there, I gotta roll on. LVL terminal has every driver looking for an escape...can't blame em.

Let me amend my statement...every driver that is hireable is looking... Some dudes a screwed because they are junk drivers without options.

Let me amend my statement...every driver that is hireable is looking... Some dudes a screwed because they are junk drivers without options.

So, are your miles down, too? My husband was over 1500 miles less than normal last week. They switched to CT on Monday last week. Huge pay cut.

Naw.. I'm a city driver. Benefits cost more, future loss of OT, no sick days, lost vacation hours, forced to drive pee colored trucks and wear a CT logo on my shirt.. Hope they fire me when I tell them I can't afford to buy black pants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vitran wife here. I just want to say we're not negative people. We're all scared because nobody is giving us information.

Someone posted in this thread that PTO was clarified. Not in our terminal. We're still lost on that and everyone is trying to take burn through PTO ASAP.

Personally, my biggest concern is this private health insurance I've heard about. I've heard it's not good insurance and not accepted in my region. I can't find a website for the insurance company to find a list of participating providers, but I don't doubt that our doctors won't be participating in an obscure insurance company. I have no information whatsoever on our future health insurance. We're not even being told when the switch over will happen. We received a letter staying our Vitran health insurance will remain in effect until the end of 2013. Now we're being told there will be an immediate switch over to Central insurance ----and the switch over could happen at any time, a couple weeks from now, next month, or the end of the year. We have no information packets on our health insurance options to decide if we need to see if we qualify for the new .gov options.

The unknown is scary.

Don't get sick and you'll be fine....lol

Central Transports blows in every direction, I'm looking for a way out, everyone else should be too.

That's not going to happen. My husband has a perfect driving excellent record and many options are available in our region, but he's a wait-and-see optimist who will likely sink with the ship. He takes the negative things he hears with a grain of salt, figuring they may be a handful of disgruntled employees. BUT if CT is truly treating Vitran drivers negatively, not answering legitimate questions because the boss said to not help the new Vitran drivers, and if word really came down from the top that Vitran drivers aren't welcome, he won't wear rose colored glasses for long. He's not an idiot or doormat. If my husband gets treated badly, I'll know it's CT because it's certainly not my husband. he's one of the guys who are coming there with an open mind. I'm the one who is freaking out. LOL

Positives.....Hmmmmm. Let's see; CT drivers taking Vitran drivers tractors for their own to drive. 5 different pro books to work with depending on the amount of pallets picked up. Stripping your trailer after you complete your run. One would wonder what happened to all the dockworkers that were hired.Total disregard of DOT rules and regs, run illegal, work 70-80 hours, don't worry we'll fix it, maybe fill out a log once a month, No info on the health ins. Issued uniforms pro-rated and deducted from your check if you quit within 1 year, not allowed to return them. You wore them, You bought them.

The list gets longer and longer,

High priced LVL LH used to get 500-600 miles a night are getting 300-400 now under CT... It's obvious that CT is moving to starve them out.

Positives? Hmmmmm.....let's see

1. I'm positive my miles have dropped by 20%, plus I have lost 10 paid days off a year
2. I'm positive CT insurance is more expensive with huge out of pocket caps
3. I'm positive I will be charged for uniforms if I quit, no mention in my packet what the cost is, goodbye last paycheck
4. I'm positive the Post Office has better transit times than CT
5. I'm positive I would have hired more dispatchers if I were going to triple the size of my company.
6. I'm positive you should probably have a scanner for every driver if thats the only way you can move freight
7. I'm positive there are going to be fights over routes and runs with no bids
8. I'm positive my terminal has already lost 2 major accounts, they ship time sensitive freight and are very familiar with CT
9. I'm positive foodstuff accounts have refused to load CT trailers
10. Finally I'm positive if you have an opportunity to go someplace else DO IT NOW. Don't hesitate like I did and turn down a decent offer on the hope that things are going to get better.

My turn:

1. I'm positive my miles have dropped by 20%, plus I have lost 10 paid days off a year - I am positive your miles would have dropped by 100% and 0 paid days off if no buyout
2. I'm positive CT insurance is more expensive with huge out of pocket caps - I am positive no insurance if no buyout
3. I'm positive I will be charged for uniforms if I quit, no mention in my packet what the cost is, goodbye last paycheck - I am positive no paychecks if no buyout
4. I'm positive the Post Office has better transit times than CT - Maybe
5. I'm positive I would have hired more dispatchers if I were going to triple the size of my company. - True
6. I'm positive you should probably have a scanner for every driver if thats the only way you can move freight - True
7. I'm positive there are going to be fights over routes and runs with no bids - I am positive you would have no runs if no buyout.
8. I'm positive my terminal has already lost 2 major accounts, they ship time sensitive freight and are very familiar with CT - I am positive you wouldn't have a terminal if no buyout
9. I'm positive foodstuff accounts have refused to load CT trailers - I am positive there would be no Vitran trailers to load if no buyout
10. Finally I'm positive if you have an opportunity to go someplace else DO IT NOW. Don't hesitate like I did and turn down a decent offer on the hope that things are going to get better. - Bye.

Can you guys really not see where Vitran was headed? Do you really not understand you would have nothing? The company would be out of business by now. NO ONE takes the kind of losses you guys were and stays open. Is something not better than the alternative? I am just at a loss. Have any of you bitching actually ever been put on the unemployment line and tried to feed your family and pay your bills on a couple hundred a week unemployment with no insurance? Central may not be the Luxury Liner you were sailing on at Vitran, but ya know what, you hit an iceberg and SANK!! Be glad you got a life raft and didn't drown and get eaten by sharks.

Ahhhhh but we are getting eaten by sharks. I have accepted this, but also realize it is time to start looking elsewhere and leave this all behind for those of you that are willing to be employeed by this so called saviour. HAIL CENTRAL :bowdown::bowdown:

1. I'm positive my miles have dropped by 20%, plus I have lost 10 paid days off a year - I am positive your miles would have dropped by 100% and 0 paid days off if no buyout
2. I'm positive CT insurance is more expensive with huge out of pocket caps - I am positive no insurance if no buyout
3. I'm positive I will be charged for uniforms if I quit, no mention in my packet what the cost is, goodbye last paycheck - I am positive no paychecks if no buyout
4. I'm positive the Post Office has better transit times than CT - Maybe
5. I'm positive I would have hired more dispatchers if I were going to triple the size of my company. - True
6. I'm positive you should probably have a scanner for every driver if thats the only way you can move freight - True
7. I'm positive there are going to be fights over routes and runs with no bids - I am positive you would have no runs if no buyout.
8. I'm positive my terminal has already lost 2 major accounts, they ship time sensitive freight and are very familiar with CT - I am positive you wouldn't have a terminal if no buyout
9. I'm positive foodstuff accounts have refused to load CT trailers - I am positive there would be no Vitran trailers to load if no buyout
10. Finally I'm positive if you have an opportunity to go someplace else DO IT NOW. Don't hesitate like I did and turn down a decent offer on the hope that things are going to get better. - Bye.

Can you guys really not see where Vitran was headed? Do you really not understand you would have nothing? The company would be out of business by now. NO ONE takes the kind of losses you guys were and stays open. Is something not better than the alternative? I am just at a loss. Have any of you bitching actually ever been put on the unemployment line and tried to feed your family and pay your bills on a couple hundred a week unemployment with no insurance? Central may not be the Luxury Liner you were sailing on at Vitran, but ya know what, you hit an iceberg and SANK!! Be glad you got a life raft and didn't drown and get eaten by sharks.
It's hilarious that your main argument is "at least we have work because we'd be unemployed if it weren't for CT."

Really? That's all you've got? CT doesn't have any other positives other than "it's a job and a paycheck?"

Guess what? We didn't need to be saved! There are jobs out there! CT isn't the only game in town!

This isn't my family's first waltz. We survived two INDUSTRIES crashing. My husband went into trucking because they always need workers. We even had a trucking company go completely out of business, no buy out. Guess what? My husband had a better job before the week was over. The only darn reason he is at Vitran is because he wanted to be at a terminal that was closer to home for more home time. But guess what? We've got other trucking companies and terminals nearby too. And guess what else? There are many more that are within a reasonable commuting distance.

So, come on! Give us something more! We're wanting to hear GOOD REASONS for sticking around and giving CT a try. Getting a paycheck isn't a good enough reason. We can get that anywhere.

Well, i wonder if getting fired at a terminal other than your own an getting a ride from another linehaul driver 50 miles away from your terminal an told to find your own way back to your car is considered a positive? ( happened Tuesday morning.) Just asking.