SAIA | Possible buy out

Flip1

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey has anyone heard any thing about Saia buying New England Motor Freight. Just curious, maybe it is just some more bravo sierra floating around the barn

Hey has anyone heard any thing about Saia buying New England Motor Freight. Just curious, maybe it is just some more bravo sierra floating around the barn
If there is anything I've learned in my 40+ years in this business its that those sort of things you will never see coming. Those things never leave the boardroom until the day it's announced. It's all just speculation.

This is what our ceo said about expanding in the northeast, according to our most recent earnings call...
Thom Albrecht, BB&T Capital Markets - Analyst [89]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay and then, Rick, I had one other question, I know about a year ago maybe a little less, for years, you've thought about the possibility of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. It didn't make sense given where the economy was, and then you re-opened that thought process, maybe early last year. Then the market went soft in the second half. What's your latest thoughts on those two states?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rick O'Dell, Saia, Inc. - President and CEO [90]

It's on our radar, and we are doing some more detailed planning of some alternatives associated with that. I guess our thoughts are, we feel like, over time it's an attractive market, it can contribute to our margin and yield initiatives, as well as growth. And so we are going to get there, and I think when we have a more detailed plan with some timeline, we can talk to you about, we are going to open four terminals in 12 months, or whatever our timeline is, but that's basically what we are looking at.

We had a guy quit the Con-job to run at NEMF. He says there is some partnership between the two companies. As NEMF doesn't go very far south or west and SAIA doesn't go very far north and east. He also says as soon as the old man dies NEMF is for sale. There maybe a tabled agreement that is conditional. He also says that the union at NEMF is run by the old man and is no hurdle in anything.

Just what I heard from one truckers mouth. With the economy like this there are going to be acquisitions and consolidations. Just look at this XPO thing. WTF, really ?

These cycles occur over and over in trucking. A business gets big and leaves a space for someone small to take advantage and then they get big and then it repeats.

We had a guy quit the Con-job to run at NEMF. He says there is some partnership between the two companies. As NEMF doesn't go very far south or west and SAIA doesn't go very far north and east. He also says as soon as the old man dies NEMF is for sale. There maybe a tabled agreement that is conditional. He also says that the union at NEMF is run by the old man and is no hurdle in anything.

Just what I heard from one truckers mouth. With the economy like this there are going to be acquisitions and consolidations. Just look at this XPO thing. WTF, really ?

These cycles occur over and over in trucking. A business gets big and leaves a space for someone small to take advantage and then they get big and then it repeats.
U r correct both interline some