SAIA | Possible Linehaul NE, Few ?

DrivingLife

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey guys,

I’m thinking of joining Saia as a linehaul driver in the NE. I would be a system driver of course. I did the interview and awaiting a road test.

About the cameras, do they actively monitor for distance, Lane deviation and set off an event if any of those occur? Or do they just show those if a event happens(hit hard pot hole, etc..)? Hit the brakes hard and happen to not be at a safe distance, etc..

What kind of hotels does Saia typically use? We talking Days Inn type or Comfort Inn’s?

Are they pretty busy? I don’t want to leave my current job to come to Saia and not work.

What do the trucks top out at?

Are the dispatch times for runs pretty relaxed or do you need to be topping speed the whole run?

Trucks have XM radio or traditional FM?

Do linehaul guys wear uniforms?

Do they pay you hourly or what if you have to fix a light, air line, etc..?

Any kind of bonus for a clean inspection?

Any tips for my road test?

About the cameras, do they actively monitor for distance, Lane deviation and set off an event if any of those occur? Or do they just show those if a event happens(hit hard pot hole, etc..)? Hit the brakes hard and happen to not be at a safe distance, etc.. YES

What kind of hotels does Saia typically use? We talking Days Inn type or Comfort Inn’s? CLC Lodgings

Are they pretty busy? I don’t want to leave my current job to come to Saia and not work. As a system driver you will go where the work is. (Yes )

What do the trucks top out at? 64 if you get a fast truck 66 mph.

Are the dispatch times for runs pretty relaxed or do you need to be topping speed the whole run? Usually 10 to 20 minutes extra for traffic.

Trucks have XM radio or traditional FM? FM only

Do linehaul guys wear uniforms? Yes

Do they pay you hourly or what if you have to fix a light, air line, etc..? Yes give up the first hour

Any kind of bonus for a clean inspection? No

Any tips for my road test? Don't set the camera off.

You must trigger an event for it to be downloaded (ie, rough bumps, hard breaks, among other things. I won’t spend a lot of time because all this information lies within the threads on this forum. Don’t leave your current job at this time of year. It wouldn’t be a smart move. A system driver will always be the first to be cut in many cases.

Thank you both you guys!

I’m currently at a company where you have to work the dock. However I’m at 80 grand this year. I’d love to move to Saia and not have to work the dock but then there is the 5 day thing and losing seniority.

Not sure what the best move would be. I think long term Saia is a better option because the future of my current employer is unknown.

Thank you both you guys!

I’m currently at a company where you have to work the dock. However I’m at 80 grand this year. I’d love to move to Saia and not have to work the dock but then there is the 5 day thing and losing seniority.

Not sure what the best move would be. I think long term Saia is a better option because the future of my current employer is unknown.
The guy I share a truck with made 89K this year but he has a dedicated run (turn) ..... Last year he made about 10K more but he changed runs. As a city P&D guy I made 70K but I work days. I could make more but I run from more than 45 hours a week. No dock work for city is the good part here. That’s the only reason I haven’t retired just yet, however I will retire in 2018 regardless.

I’m thinking of joining Saia as a linehaul driver in the NE. I would be a system driver of course. I did the interview and awaiting a road test.

About the cameras, do they actively monitor for distance, Lane deviation and set off an event if any of those occur? Or do they just show those if a event happens(hit hard pot hole, etc..)? Hit the brakes hard and happen to not be at a safe distance, etc..
-they monitor distance and lane deviation. I turn off the lane deviation and you have to keep a following distance of three seconds. You get too close, the light on the camera turns solid red before setting off an event, which gives you time to back off.

What kind of hotels does Saia typically use? We talking Days Inn type or Comfort Inn’s?
-We use CLC card. I’ve stayed at comfort inn’s, Ramada’s, holiday inn express. Whatever’s near by and takes CLC. You can usually call a hotel of your choice and check to see if they accept your card

Are they pretty busy? I don’t want to leave my current job to come to Saia and not work.
-Hasn’t slowed a bit this year for me but, it’s different system wide

-64 cruise and 65 on the pedal

Are the dispatch times for runs pretty relaxed or do you need to be topping speed the whole run?
-the runs seem to dispatch around 55-60 mph you have some time

-FM

-uniform shirt yes. Bottoms can be work pants/shorts or denim pants/shorts. You’re required to wear black steel toe leather shoe
-hourly for hooks and breakdowns.

-a pat on the back
-easy peasy

-they monitor distance and lane deviation. I turn off the lane deviation and you have to keep a following distance of three seconds. You get too close, the light on the camera turns solid red before setting off an event, which gives you time to back off.

-We use CLC card. I’ve stayed at comfort inn’s, Ramada’s, holiday inn express. Whatever’s near by and takes CLC. You can usually call a hotel of your choice and check to see if they accept your card

-Hasn’t slowed a bit this year for me but, it’s different system wide

-64 cruise and 65 on the pedal

-the runs seem to dispatch around 55-60 mph you have some time

-FM

-uniform shirt yes. Bottoms can be work pants/shorts or denim pants/shorts. You’re required to wear black steel toe leather shoe
-hourly for hooks and breakdowns.

-a pat on the back
-easy peasy

Thank you for the information man. All you guys. I didn’t really see this information posted in the past threads so I’m happy to get it! I’ll let you know if I get the job!