Yellow | Possibly being hired by yrc, need advice

Ry024

TB Lurker
Credits
Ok so far I have only had a phone interview thus far, and when I spoke to her on the phone she said it was a part time position pulling loads between Miami(home) to Jacksonville, the pay per mile seems good but am just wondering if I can expect to be working every week or some weeks may I not even get the opportunity to work? Also anyone know how long roughly I would be part time before getting the chance to go full time?

My advise don't hire on!!!!!
Lol I can see how you feel about them judging by your profile pic, it's just currently I'm with PepsiCo driving the side bay trailers and it's a salary+commission job, so far I'm usually working 60hours a week there and only taking home 600ish after taxes which seems pretty mediocre considering the hours I'm putting in. I also have all my endorsements which seems like they are going to waste working there.

Ok so far I have only had a phone interview thus far, and when I spoke to her on the phone she said it was a part time position pulling loads between Miami(home) to Jacksonville, the pay per mile seems good but am just wondering if I can expect to be working every week or some weeks may I not even get the opportunity to work? Also anyone know how long roughly I would be part time before getting the chance to go full time?
You will be low man. Live by the phone every day of your life. Someone marks off, you get the worst run they have that night. First 3 years, you won't be offered many choices. Turn down to many runs in the eyes of management, sit @ home most of the week. Ya just might sit @ home most of the week when you first start. All depends on the amount of freight & how many guys above ya. von.

You only have one run out of Miami to jacksonville. It just depends on how much freight they have any given day if you work or not.

The only way to know for sure is to give it a try and judge for yourself. You're not bound to stay if you don't like it so you have nothing to lose.

Lol I can see how you feel about them judging by your profile pic, it's just currently I'm with PepsiCo driving the side bay trailers and it's a salary+commission job, so far I'm usually working 60hours a week there and only taking home 600ish after taxes which seems pretty mediocre considering the hours I'm putting in. I also have all my endorsements which seems like they are going to waste working there.
You have a CDL with all endorsements so there is no reason to go the YRC. You can hire on at a good company with a future somewhere else.
Walk away from (Yellow) YRC, no don't walk - RUN away from that company. Look at their falling stock market reports. Does THAT look like a company with a future?
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/YRCW?p=YRCW

$8.76 and dropping last I looked on May 5, 2017 , 11: 30 AM

There are a lot of other companies that are looking for a person with your qualifications. Shop around. Do you research. Don't believe any Personell Dept person or recruiter. Find the facts out for yourself

Last edited:
My former post seems to have been deleted - so we try again.
My advise is similar to a couple others already given. Walk away from YRC. Better yet RUN AWAY from YRC.
You have good qualifications to get on at a better company with a FUTURE. Shop around. Do your homework. Check out he company's past and future.
Go see what the company stock history is. That can tell a story about ANY company that is on the stock market. YRCW is and it's not good.
Look at the stock market reports of YRCW at any number of sites like Yahoo Finance and the picture is not good.
Down to $8.92 on May 5 - 11:30 AM from $15.61 on Dec 7, 2016.
Why sign on to a cruise with the Titanic? That company was advetising their ship as the biggest and safest in the world then, too. YRCW is similar and it's fate is similar, too..

Last edited:
You just had a phone interview.
Do what ever you feel is right..
If you have any common sense.
You will know.
If you need it. Take it.
If you don't. Don't.
It is as simple as that.
Some of us have been here so long we are jaded.
All companies suck. After all. Your just a number no matter where you work.
But. We have to work under someone's thumb.
Good luck.

My advice to you would be to move away from Florida. Where I live Pepsi pays better than YRC. Companies in Florida tend to pay well below average. If you want to live there, it's the price you have to pay. As far as part time with YRC, yes it means work might not be available to you at all. That even goes for full time when things get slow (1st quarter ). Unemployment benefits in Florida pay well below average as well. Something to consider for the times when YRC let's you know how much they care about you. They're telling you straight up part time. That doesn't mean 20 hours a week. It means there will be days when they can use an extra driver and days when they will not. What days those are is anyone's guess.

Do you have an MBA in business and have some qualified time in the freight business?Then you my friend could be used in the corporate office in overland Park ks.Obviously those in charge are not guiding this corporation in the right direction.

My advice to you would be to move away from Florida. Where I live Pepsi pays better than YRC. Companies in Florida tend to pay well below average. If you want to live there, it's the price you have to pay. As far as part time with YRC, yes it means work might not be available to you at all. That even goes for full time when things get slow (1st quarter ). Unemployment benefits in Florida pay well below average as well. Something to consider for the times when YRC let's you know how much they care about you. They're telling you straight up part time. That doesn't mean 20 hours a week. It means there will be days when they can use an extra driver and days when they will not. What days those are is anyone's guess.
Another thing that Freight Crusher didn't mention is the fact that you will probably be required to be "on call" 24 / 7 not knowing when or if you are going to get a work call, then you will be given probably only 2 hours to report to work. Makes for lousey family life.

Stay where your at until you can hire on with a stable company with a future. It's way easier to get a job while you have a job and if possible you only want to switch once. YRC has been losing money for years. Try to hire on with a growing company.

Stay where your at until you can hire on with a stable company with a future. It's way easier to get a job while you have a job and if possible you only want to switch once. YRC has been losing money for years. Try to hire on with a growing company.
Good advise from an insider. Freight Crusher had good advise, too, although it may not be practical for you. Move to a better part of the country if you want to stay in trucking. (I know - easier said than done) Do your homework. Get advise, but double and triple check that advise. Pretty soon all the advise,and the info on various companies and even the different types of trucking will start to form a picture. Nobody can make a good decision without first knowing all the information they can get on what they are looking for. Good Luck.

Freight hauling is very common. If you like to drive, hook up with a special kind of outfit. Extreme oversize, lots of rigging but good pay. Hauling trade shows for an outfit. North American Trade show division. Stanley sound Kearney Nebraska or Show Co out of Dallas TX, now called Clair. Concert shows lighting & sound. Great gig for the 2 years I was there. Some good downtime that allows you to see the city. Purcell Tire & Rubber. Recapped tires that get delivered to just about every mine west of the Mississippi. Want to see the country? Apply @ the Salt Lake City Plant. You pull drop deck low boys so you can fit the tire on the trailer. Largest tire recapped weighs 5,000 lbs. Find a stable manufacturing company that hauls there own product. Steel case used to be a good company to work for, they had their own drivers & equipment. Good luck.

Some of the concerts that sound & lighting companies supply. This list is from Clair. They have been a juggernaut in the business.

The list of artists that Showco has provided equipment for is extensive, including Jesus Christ Superstar; Mountain; Blood, Sweat & Tears; Lee Michaels, Grand Funk Railroad; the Osmonds; Rare Earth; Cat Stevens; David Cassidy; Little Feat; The Band; Wishbone Ash; Genesis; Eric Clapton; Leon Russell; Linda Ronstadt; Carole King; Jackson Browne; The Kinks; Commodores; Guess Who; Nazareth; The Average White Band; Black Oak Arkansas; Thin Lizzy; Golden Earring; Robert Palmer; The Moody Blues; Yoko Ono; REO Speedwagon; Ted Nugent; Uriah Heep; Willie Nelson; the Beach Boys; Lynyrd Skynyrd; Bad Company; Freddie King; Alice Cooper; Van Halen; Peter Gabriel; ZZ Top; Bee Gees; Wings; Paul McCartney; The Rolling Stones; David Bowie; The Who; Prince; Julian Lennon; Bob Seger; Diana Ross; Janet Jackson; Reba McEntire; Vince Gill; Alan Jackson; Clint Black; George Michael; INXS; Phil Collins; Mick Jagger; Boston; Santana; Bon Jovi; Guns N' Roses; Britney Spears; 'N Sync; Ozzy Osbourne & Ozzfest; Korn; Limp Bizkit.[2]

Do you have an MBA in business and have some qualified time in the freight business?Then you my friend could be used in the corporate office in overland Park ks.Obviously those in charge are not guiding this corporation in the right direction.
Let's re-call Zollars he ain't looking too bad as these goofs are.God help us