Holland | Post your lay-offs

Got my letter today... officially laid off as of this coming Monday. Hopefully this is short lived and I hope not many others company wide have to go thru this.

what I heard through the grapevine is that they only have two requirements for new driver hires now:

1. pass a drug test

2. must have watched at least two episodes of "BJ and the Bear" on TV

Since they can't get good drivers any more, it seems as though their past practice of hiring a guy away from another company, then laying the guy off shortly afterwards has come back to bite them in the ass. Who would leave a full time job (even if it's not the greatest) for a job with no long term security? It's an unethical move and that's no way to treat people. It's pretty sad to see how years ago everyone wanted to work at Holland, now they can't find enough drivers. I guess when you **** on people enough times the word gets out as a warning to everyone else.

Since they can't get good drivers any more, it seems as though their past practice of hiring a guy away from another company, then laying the guy off shortly afterwards has come back to bite them in the ass. Who would leave a full time job (even if it's not the greatest) for a job with no long term security? It's an unethical move and that's no way to treat people. It's pretty sad to see how years ago everyone wanted to work at Holland, now they can't find enough drivers. I guess when you **** on people enough times the word gets out as a warning to everyone else.
Its also common knowledge as to who is our parent company. Anyone with any knowledge of this industry knows that everything yellow touches turns to ****.

My blood still has a little hint of orange to it and it always will, but I've vowed that if I were to go back into trucking, it won't be at a YRCW company. So needless to say, the hint of orange in my blood don't trump the YRCW ignorance. They'll never get me back.

Heck, I wanted to work at Holland at one time.Then I got hired on at Yellow Freight.Then the crapola hit the fan a few years ago.What a mess.

I hired in at Holland on open board May 2011 was laid off for 3 months before 2012 came. I went back to YRC (FL P/D) June 2014 (laid off at YRC 2009 TX P/D) and I've been laid off 5+ times since June but haven't had a day off unless I don't answer the phone (I like 3 day weekends).
I would have stayed at Holland but I didn't want to wait for the retires to open a bid run that would allow me to be home daily.
I don't imagine that any freight Co. is different than any other.
HOWEVER
Back in May Holland (by way of YRC fuctards) was offering every driver a move to any terminal by giving up local board seniority but keeping company seniority. So if a man left cold Gaylord for warm Birmingham he might be in a bad spot.
I went back to YRC knowing full well the ways of YRC, and I am happy with my decision. I am not concerned whether I work 1 or 5 days a week.
One thing(s) I have learned is: eliminate all debt excepting rent/mortgage. All I need is food, I know I'll be working at least 10 days a month minimum at my terminal. AND wait for the dinosaurs to die off, they sure aren't retiring any time soon.
Since I am in FL I can always knock some immigrant off his ladder and offer oranges picked by an 'american' laid off Teamster... :-)

HOWEVER
Back in May Holland (by way of YRC fuctards) was offering every driver a move to any terminal by giving up local board seniority but keeping company seniority. So if a man left cold Gaylord for warm Birmingham he might be in a bad spot.
That's all I asked for three and a half years ago and they wouldn't allow it so I said goodbye. Their loss not mine.

Last edited:
what I heard through the grapevine is that they only have two requirements for new driver hires now:

1. pass a drug test

2. must have watched at least two episodes of "BJ and the Bear" on TV
Very true , have never seen such low IQ dingbats ,as we are hiring now !!!! and plus as part of the training week Holland had a vhs &dvd copy of BJ & the Bear !!! for them to watch !!! cause holland trucks are the same age as the trucks in the show !!!!

Very true , have never seen such low IQ dingbats ,as we are hiring now !!!! and plus as part of the training week Holland had a vhs &dvd copy of BJ & the Bear !!! for them to watch !!! cause holland trucks are the same age as the trucks in the show !!!!
YRC TM down here wanted to hire me on full-time(I liked to have lost my lunch).. Took my drug test, passed all the pre-screening and such.. He never calls me. I called him back 3 different times, no return phone call.. 3 weeks go by, he calls, said he never got my messages.. Go back, take another drug test(because it had been too long since the last one).. He doesn't call.. 1 1/2 week later, he calls... I told him I wasn't playing his game and don't call back.. This went on for almost 2 months.. He was an arrogant POS, and I don't think he or I would have lasted too long anyway... I really didn't want the job, since retiring, I have been busier anyway... But, if I would have not lasted, him and I was going outside and we would have found out who was the best man, after what he put me through... I was kicking his ass one way or another...