XPO | Pre 2006 what were the names of all the regionals

Conway Mexico Express. It was around for a while then just kinda disappeared without much being said. I always assumed it was due to corruption and banditos down there but it's hard to put that in a press release.

Penn Yan was bought out for the operating authority in Canada's maritimes, Quebec and Ontario. PYX was a northeast union regional carrier. PYX became CEX in 1983. CEX was a profitable regional carrier. However with the formation of the nonunion Con-Way start-ups, the writing was on the wall not only for CEX but also CF. In 1991, CEX sat down at contract time and said that they were not going to negotiate unless major concessions were made, primarily wages. The Teamsters walked from the table which sent the CEX employees to the street on strike and closing the company. On a side note, up until the day it was closed, the trailers were full and new equipment and terminals were being purchased or planned. I believe that it was CF's intention to dump the union and build Con-Way into a nonunion powerhouse.

Penn Yan was bought out for the operating authority in Canada's maritimes, Quebec and Ontario. PYX was a northeast union regional carrier. PYX became CEX in 1983. CEX was a profitable regional carrier. However with the formation of the nonunion Con-Way start-ups, the writing was on the wall not only for CEX but also CF. In 1991, CEX sat down at contract time and said that they were not going to negotiate unless major concessions were made, primarily wages. The Teamsters walked from the table which sent the CEX employees to the street on strike and closing the company. On a side note, up until the day it was closed, the trailers were full and new equipment and terminals were being purchased or planned. I believe that it was CF's intention to dump the union and build Con-Way into a nonunion powerhouse.
The company line was the regionals were set up to be just that and when the topic of 2 day plus freight came up it was "that's CF's freight and we'll never compete head to head with CF".
What they had planned we'll never know for sure, but we all know how it ended.

The company line on CEX/PENN YAN was that it wasn't as much about wages as the work rules. Mostly being able to work the dock at other terminals.

Hi guys,
Quick question I've been writing a report on the book Never Stand Still it's the CF story and real quick:
What were the names of all the regional carriers?

There was what?
Conway Central Xpress
Conway Southern Xpress
Conway Southeastern Xpress
and Conway Western Xpress
Is that about right? Or am I missing a couple.

Thank you
Mike

Others have posted the regional code names and made mention of RSI. I just wanted to mention that CF also owned a parts company called "Vantage Parts" , to supply the company shops with truck parts and also sold parts to outside companies. It was shut down in the late 90's.

There was also CF Air Freight, which became Emery Air Freight when CF bought Emery in '73, I believe (the purchase almost bankrupt the company) in their quest to be the biggest in all their endeavors, an attitude which was probably a small contributing factor in their demise.

There was the sale of Freightliner to Daimler in '83, I think. Just some things I didn't know if they were in the book. Use them in your report or forget about them. Try to fact check my dates...it was a long time ago. FDNM

Others have posted the regional code names and made mention of RSI. I just wanted to mention that CF also owned a parts company called "Vantage Parts" , to supply the company shops with truck parts and also sold parts to outside companies. It was shut down in the late 90's.

There was also CF Air Freight, which became Emery Air Freight when CF bought Emery in '73, I believe (the purchase almost bankrupt the company) in their quest to be the biggest in all their endeavors, an attitude which was probably a small contributing factor in their demise.

There was the sale of Freightliner to Daimler in '83, I think. Just some things I didn't know if they were in the book. Use them in your report or forget about them. Try to fact check my dates...it was a long time ago. FDNM
To add a point to this post, if I may. I don't have any dates available, check my facts also. Freightliner was sold under the White name for a number of years eventually going out on their own. They started out in Texas, moving to British Columbia. Daimler bought them, moving them to Mexico. I think I'm right in saying this.

You are correct. Freightliner partnered with White Motor in '68 or '69 to sell their trucks publicly. White had a distribution netwoek of dealers and CF did not. The partnership only lasted a few years.

Emery Air Frt had a jet crash and it was a fortune.

WQetx3V.jpg