FedEx Freight | Pre Hooking

pompano

TB Lurker
Credits
Ok does anyone really no the policy? I have been told not to ever hook to a trailer at the dock if the door is open. The reason for this is to prevent injury,by pulling someone off the dock. I personally refuse to pre hook until I have my hook sheet in hand and trailer is closed. But every night at the hub I hear the ops mgr tell drivers to go pre hook.... You guys have any input on this??:chairshot:

We do it too .
But I would have to look in the book to see what it says .
FM will know if anybody does for sure.

I was told by Bill B. not too.You can spot dolly ,but don't hook,if on delay stay on delay till trailer is closed then have them sign your book.

GUY'S--there is policy its in dispatch we had shall i say sort of a prblem at our barn, ther is no pre-hooking you can spot your dolly but that's it;if i can find it i;ll try an post it or retype it.

spike said:
I was told by Bill B. not too.You can spot dolly ,but don't hook,if on delay stay on delay till trailer is closed then have them sign your book.

:duh: I agree with you spike. I will also spot my dolly,but I will not slam the together until I visually see door closed and sealed. I know as a fact if anything happens when you are under the trailer at the dock its a chargeable. I no of at least three incidences in the last year where guys have been pulled off the dock with there forklifts,from people pre hooking.Thanks for all the input.:TR10driving03:

I seem to remember a video we had to watch about this, but not positive. I wouldn't hook without manifest in hand. That being said still make sure no one has reopened the box, last nite I spotted my dolley got my lead and when I walked back to check the door and remove the chock the supervisor said " I see a problem, your hooking and he's loading the same trlr" they reopened it after they closed it, so double check to be safe.

FM

Pompano said:
Ok does anyone really no the policy? I have been told not to ever hook to a trailer at the dock if the door is open. The reason for this is to prevent injury,by pulling someone off the dock. I personally refuse to pre hook until I have my hook sheet in hand and trailer is closed. But every night at the hub I hear the ops mgr tell drivers to go pre hook.... You guys have any input on this??:chairshot:
Very good policy that is an accident waiting to happen I always check and double check for that freight they forgot and they reopen the trailer and boom someone is on the ground we all have seen the after math:bgroovy:

Where is MR VIKING

The company I work for has the dock supervisor place an orange construction cone behind the trailer after it's closed. Only the super can remove the cone, so the ultimate responsibility is the supervisors if they reopen the door. That's not to say nothing ever happens because just a few months ago they called out for a trailer move and they had reopened the trailer and never told the yard jockey not to pull the trailer.
Guess what ... they still blamed the jockey, he got a few days off because the final responsibility falls to the person pulling the trailer to check first before pulling !

Ok I had to ask around. I was told by 2 CCM'S and 1 RSM do not ever hook until you have hook sheet in hand,Trailer closed locked and sealed. No exceptions....:tribehasspoken:

I work at Big R. At my terminal all the doors have chains that hook onto a red flag. If the flag is up, it's safe to hook. Flag down get out and check before hitting the pin. Also whenever we hit an open door, we are to sound our horn to alert anyone that may be in or going into the box.....and then we back under nice and easy.

Safety Department will tell you real quick--"It is a safety violation to hook to a trailer at the dock when the door is open and trailer has not been sealed for transit!"

We do it all the time, I always park in front of trailer and walk back and look to see if plate is still in trailer. If no one is loading at the time I will go ahead and hook but will not remove chock or attempt to pull out until I see for myself that dock plate has been pulled up and door is closed. I useually close it myself because the loaders dont pull the door down most of the time.

Safety Department will tell you real quick--"It is a safety violation to hook to a trailer at the dock when the door is open and trailer has not been sealed for transit!"
No policy against "pre-staging" .. Spotting a dollie and parking in front of your lead.. To me that is the safer way...

I have looked and cannot find any policy against pre-hooking.. although I dont agree with it, Unless the driver has his lead hooked to his rear.. rear still loading.. and he is on the dock with me awaiting the trailer to close, and the rear is still chocked.. Our Shuttle drivers get their dispatch sheets on the dock.. so they are usually up with us... and dont leave the door until bills and dispatch are in hand..

With our door pressure.. if the seal goes on it.. its going to the yard.. we gotta get the breaks up to door. All the guys at my barn are pretty much on the same page with this!

The way we do it is, If the dock door is down and you have your dispatch go ahead and hook. If you don't have either then dont. The dock door policy was put in place because of guys hooking to trailers or the wrong trailers and pulling them away from the dock while they are either being loaded or unloaded, there were a number of forklift dock to parking lot incidents with people on them. So simple rule of thumb door down is good to go open door get out and check.

a few months ago we watched a video tape of a fork lift going into a trailer and the driver pulled off the door dropping the lift on the ground and it was almost fatal.the rule is you can not hook unless your door is down.its the same with unhooking.at my barn as soon as we hit the dock the dock guys pop the door so when we unhook we can be written up for it because the door was up.