FedEx Freight | Pre/Post Trip Inspections

Redracer3136

BANNED
Credits
I would like to start a new discussion dedicated to Pre/Post Trip Inspections, or lack thereof....

Although this procedure is required by law and everyone is compensated for preforming these task, it seems many (if not most) just aren’t doing them!! The reasoning for preforming these task are to ensure our equipment is safe to operate on the streets and highways in hopes of keeping everyone safe so that everyone can return to their loved ones at the end of their tour.

The process of “toe tapping” the tires and “glancing” at the lights (those visible from the driver’s side only) has got to stop!! This thread isn’t designed to single out any one person, any one group, belittle, or make fun of anyone but rather to bring attention to an overwhelming problem in hopes of educating everyone...even those who actually preform pre/post trips. Again, no one is perfect and eventhough I take the time to do what I feel is a quality pre/post trip, I know I don’t catch everything either.

With everyone’s help we can address this safety issue through education and hope this leads to everyone actually preforming pre/post trips, which helps us all.

Very well said! I would argue that this isn't just a good FedEx topic, but a good topic overall!

We, as human beings, aren't perfect. But if everyone puts their best foot forward we're a lot more likely to catch things that aren't quite right. I've been stranded at a customer before because the guy who dropped the trailer I was there to pick up didn't notice a leaking glad hand or a flatspotted tire.

I would like to start a new discussion dedicated to Pre/Post Trip Inspections, or lack thereof....

Although this procedure is required by law and everyone is compensated for preforming these task, it seems many (if not most) just aren’t doing them!! The reasoning for preforming these task are to ensure our equipment is safe to operate on the streets and highways in hopes of keeping everyone safe so that everyone can return to their loved ones at the end of their tour.

The process of “toe tapping” the tires and “glancing” at the lights (those visible from the driver’s side only) has got to stop!! This thread isn’t designed to single out any one person, any one group, belittle, or make fun of anyone but rather to bring attention to an overwhelming problem in hopes of educating everyone...even those who actually preform pre/post trips. Again, no one is perfect and eventhough I take the time to do what I feel is a quality pre/post trip, I know I don’t catch everything either.

With everyone’s help we can address this safety issue through education and hope this leads to everyone actually preforming pre/post trips, which helps us all.
What a lot of people do not understand is that once you leave company property, you just told the entire motoring public your vehicle, was inspected, and safe to drive on the highways. And yes. It is your butt if you get into an accident, and they find bad brakes, or other faulty equipment that contributed to the accident. Your company will get drug into court, right along side you.

A couple pet peeves of mine... Drivers who NEVER raise the hood. We have some pretty good equip, but fluids (the oil especially) needs to be checked. It's a shame to find a fairly new truck with oil barely on the stick. these trucks should never need 2 gallons in a single pop.

Also, a tire that is off the rim. I get the possibility the a tire can leak down, but they don't break the bead sitting still. I never understood the lack of accountability on that one. There is a paper trail.

:cuss:

More later...

Red practicing wheelie on his pretrip
yHk3X1z.jpg

Hanging brake cans at the dock always make my morning. Once, I had a chock in front of a shredded blown outside left tire of an outbound load! Only the freaking sidewalls were draped over the chock block. SMH...

Competing in the TDC improved my knowledge and understand of what I was looking for on pre and post trip inspections. Some I lost over the past 20 years, some things I never learned. There's an art to a good Vehicle Inspection.

I find it an enjoyable challenge. Heck, I'm not comfortable not knowing what's going on back there or what I just dropped off. If someone decided to leave a winning lottery ticket on my equipment somewhere, I sure don't want to leave it for the next guy to find.

Hanging brake cans at the dock always make my morning. Once, I had a chock in front of a shredded blown outside left tire of an outbound load! Only the freaking sidewalls were draped over the chock block. SMH...

Competing in the TDC improved my knowledge and understand of what I was looking for on pre and post trip inspections. Some I lost over the past 20 years, some things I never learned. There's an art to a good Vehicle Inspection.

I find it an enjoyable challenge. Heck, I'm not comfortable not knowing what's going on back there or what I just dropped off. If someone decided to leave a winning lottery ticket on my equipment somewhere, I sure don't want to leave it for the next guy to find.
Outstanding post. Absolutely true.

This is why I do a pretrip. This happened over 20 years ago, but I think about it every time I start my walk around.

Freak Van Fire Kills 5 Children In Pastor's Family
November 09, 1994|By Michael Lev and Andrew Backover, Tribune Staff Writers. Tribune reporters James Hill, Lou Carlozo and Larry Hartstein contributed to this report.

In a freak accident Tuesday on a Milwaukee expressway, a minivan carrying a Chicago family burst into flames, killing five children and critically injuring the parents and another child.

The accident occurred when the minivan, driven by Duane "Scott" Willis, a minister at a South Side church, ran over a piece of steel that had apparently fallen off a truck.

The 18-inch steel bracket, which holds mudflaps on semitrailer trucks, punctured the van's gas tank and lodged in the tank. Sparks ignited leaking gas from the tank, and "within seconds" the 1994 Chrysler Voyager minivan burst into flames, according to Milwaukee County Sheriff's Sgt. David Iushewitz.

Trapped in the van and killed in the fire were Peter Willis, 6 weeks old; Elizabeth Willis, 3; Hank Willis, 7; Sam Willis, 9; and Joe Willis, 11.

Duane Willis, 47, the minister at Parkwood Baptist Church, at 10435 S. Spaulding Ave., his wife, Janet Willis, 47, and their 13-year-old son, Ben Willis, escaped the crash with burns.

Shocked congregation members described the tragedy as "worse than losing a family member."

"I'm still in shock," said Mona Scott, 78, a neighbor and congregation member. "I can't believe it; five lives wiped out like that. They were a wonderful family, and I feel blessed that I got to know them. I just can't fathom going home and not seeing them."

Ben Willis was in critical condition at Children's Hospital of Milwaukee in Wauwatosa, Wis., Tuesday night with varying degrees of burns over 90 percent of his body, a hospital spokeswoman said.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...60382_1_elizabeth-willis-peter-willis-minivan

Lights, tires & brakes on post. Fluids leak, that makes 'em pre trip (along with the aforementioned). Love the tire toe tap. Very easy to gauge 60 or 95 psi that way:regretful:

Lights, tires & brakes on post. Fluids leak, that makes 'em pre trip (along with the aforementioned). Love the tire toe tap. Very easy to gauge 60 or 95 psi that way:regretful:
My big toe has a pressure gauge.....and I gotta compressor under my hat....

Bottom line , don't be in the yard too long or you will get screamed at by some fool in dispatch and be sent to the grocery warehouses for the rest of your life or killed with stops. Nothing like pre tripping 3 units and ending up in the useless shop being told to take another unit that is someone's (4th) . 3 units that are driven daily by city/road.

#1 - 6 quarts low on oil , really disgusting in side.
#2 - 4 quarts low and leaking coolant , needs fuel , smells and looks like a diaper pail inside.
#3 - 5th wheel not locking up well , shop drove it in yard and dropped it in front of the damn shop doors while I am begging to get the hell out of the yard , stupid ?

ALL 3 UNITS PULLED FROM THE ROAD BY THE SHOP AND NOT A WORD SAID THE THE DRIVERS , BUT I GET SCREAMED AT , LMFAO.....

BTW , my unit has been sitting at the shop dead line for 5 weeks at this time untouched .