FedEx Freight | Pre/Post Trip Inspections

A couple pet peeves of mine... Drivers who NEVER raise the hood. We have some pretty good equip, but fluids (the oil especially) needs to be checked. It's a shame to find a fairly new truck with oil barely on the stick. these trucks should never need 2 gallons in a single pop.

Also, a tire that is off the rim. I get the possibility the a tire can leak down, but they don't break the bead sitting still. I never understood the lack of accountability on that one. There is a paper trail.

:cuss:

More later...
See what I mean , some of you drivers Must really be disgusting to live with by the looks of many of our units , PIGS !

I carry Lysol wipes and simple green when my truck disappears.
You have too , I did the same but some are beyond that. We have a city driver that drives his new unit with his greasy hook/drop/fuel gloves and when I asked him about it he says "It's not mine , I don't care".

I had to take out a different tractor last week because I needed a twin screw. Inside was trashed, something look liked it blew up all over the window on the inside. It got even worse when the sun came up because the filth was so much more noticeable. I would of seriously needed a couple hours to clean it to my liking. I just roughed it that night and dealt with it.

Good post about doing proper inspections. It’s very rare to see a hood open.

We need to really enforce some rules when it comes to the inside of the trucks and hold people accountable for trashing the equipment and that goes for what the dock guys do like ramming a trailer with a forklift at the dock so they can put a dock plate on , instead we will trash the trailer door. Probably another reason many of our older drivers have 2 blown out shoulders. It only matters to the dumb driver that has to open that door and close that door and God forbid you have to go to the Shop of Fools and get a door fixed while dispatch tells you what a hunk of crap you are . Have a good day.

We need to really enforce some rules when it comes to the inside of the trucks and hold people accountable for trashing the equipment and that goes for what the dock guys do like ramming a trailer with a forklift at the dock so they can put a dok plate on , instead we will trash the trailer door. Probably another reason many of our older drivers have 2 blown out shoulders. It only matters to the dumb driver that has to open that door and close that door and God forbid you have to go to the Shop of Fools and get a door fixed while dispatch tells you what a hunk of crap you are . Have a good day.

I thought we were the only place pushing trailers away from the dock with a fork lift. Talk about serious damage/cost to repair... If ever repaired.

Bad doors are probably the single biggest cause of back pain and injury, for city drivers. Often, the difference between a good day and a horrible day. NOT worth the risk...

Thanks for this thread, I felt like the entire company was against me last night.
Took unit down to shop, steer tires bad, 5th wheel sloppy, seat broken, leaking oil, check engine light on, oh and nothing written
up on the unit. The 1st spare, shop said truck ready to go, start it up and DEF/SCR and all 3 lights on, someone drove it wrote it
up but forgot to tell anyone, 2nd spare found behind shop, but, was in service, wont start bad starter, not written up, but behind shop.
3rd spare, 1165670 miles, but brand new super duper fancy seat, ok lets go, took 2 bags of garbage out, found a roast beef sandwich
from 2014 behind seat, started to hook up and the drivers door damn near fell off, but has new seat. 4th spare, supposed to at vender,
found in yard and well never made it to vender, out of service. 5th spare seat broke but door attached, now lets go, finished hooking
up only to find the last person to pull my lead trailer took a screw driver to the placard and left 3/4s of them on, so, back to the shop
for a scarper. Oh and the kicker, My bid unit went to a vender on Dec 18th 2017, still not done, they think it is the wiring harness now.
Oh the hardships of being a freight hauler, but, I do love my job, 20 years I should be used to by now.

Thanks for this thread, I felt like the entire company was against me last night.
Took unit down to shop, steer tires bad, 5th wheel sloppy, seat broken, leaking oil, check engine light on, oh and nothing written
up on the unit. The 1st spare, shop said truck ready to go, start it up and DEF/SCR and all 3 lights on, someone drove it wrote it
up but forgot to tell anyone, 2nd spare found behind shop, but, was in service, wont start bad starter, not written up, but behind shop.
3rd spare, 1165670 miles, but brand new super duper fancy seat, ok lets go, took 2 bags of garbage out, found a roast beef sandwich
from 2014 behind seat, started to hook up and the drivers door damn near fell off, but has new seat. 4th spare, supposed to at vender,
found in yard and well never made it to vender, out of service. 5th spare seat broke but door attached, now lets go, finished hooking
up only to find the last person to pull my lead trailer took a screw driver to the placard and left 3/4s of them on, so, back to the shop
for a scarper. Oh and the kicker, My bid unit went to a vender on Dec 18th 2017, still not done, they think it is the wiring harness now.
Oh the hardships of being a freight hauler, but, I do love my job, 20 years I should be used to by now.

By any chance, do you still have the roast beef sammage?

Every once in a while, Fleet Maintenance will do (or did do) a surprise visit (usually on the weekend), inspecting tractors. When they find the issues you mention, the Manager will be forced to make a big deal about it. Even going so far as to buy cleaning supplies, a vacuum, even armor all.

You might even be told to write up each and every thing wrong, down to the faded paint, torn seat, etc. Then, over time, the vacuum breaks, gets clogged, the supplies run out, and the whole thing fades from memory. The only way anyone knows is if someone shares the story...

The last time I recall this happening was about three managers back. 7-10 years, maybe. Currently we are deep into the "fades from memory" stage. It is a shame to see a nice 30-40k mile truck with an interior that resembles (or is worse than) many a million + mile trucks.

Long time lurker, but this is a topic that's something I wish we would really take seriously. (as a company)

My barn has almost the opposite issue. We have some drivers who never even look at the truck just hook up and go. (Most of these are 15/20+ year drivers). About half of our drivers do a full pre/post but our leadership never does anything about the problems with our equipment.

We have vans that need door straps. Wrote one up weeks ago, still hasn't been replaced. Mentioned to management, no response.

We have dollys that have light cords that are bad, glad hands that need seals replaced, mud flaps that drag the ground. Never fixed.

Tractor cleanliness is not an issue we have. Our guys are good about that at least.

You refuse to take equipment out due to it's condition and you're looked at like you're an idiot. That's a fun feeling for doing your damn job correctly. We're also told we're complaining when we get a trailer with a door that's difficult to open or close. Not like that redshirt has to open or close that door 40 times today.

What's the rule on pre/post trip faults? What's something legally I can say I'm not leaving with?(minor issues like lights?) Where can they say I should take something out?

Thanks.

Some have to be hosed out. Not sure the policy on that, but it can be necessary, if you ever inherit a garbage can unit. :nono h4h:

We aint gotz no water hose. I wish they would have put in a wash bay when they built on to our center last year, but they said we were too close to river. :duh: