FedEx Freight | Pre/Post Trip Inspections

Tractor cleanliness is not an issue we have. Our guys are good about that at least.

Your entire post was excellent but I wanted to touch on this part...

First, we also have trucks that I refuse to drive for several reasons...some are so nasty (even brand new trucks) that it’s ridiculous and some are so clean that I refuse to drive because I don’t want to spend 30 mins at the end of my day cleaning every speck of dirt off the truck, inside and out. I try to leave a truck in better shape than I found it but some are impossible...dirty and clean.

Second, we have a few drivers who keep their trucks in immaculate condition but refuse to write them up because they don’t want to be without it for a day. Got in one of the cleaner trucks on the yard and before I made it around to hook up, the truck’s massive air leak had the pressure below 60 psi...a DOT violation!! I wrote the truck up and left it behind the shop and the next day the driver was pissed at me for writing it up!!

Long time lurker, but this is a topic that's something I wish we would really take seriously. (as a company)

My barn has almost the opposite issue. We have some drivers who never even look at the truck just hook up and go. (Most of these are 15/20+ year drivers). About half of our drivers do a full pre/post but our leadership never does anything about the problems with our equipment.

We have vans that need door straps. Wrote one up weeks ago, still hasn't been replaced. Mentioned to management, no response.

We have dollys that have light cords that are bad, glad hands that need seals replaced, mud flaps that drag the ground. Never fixed.

Tractor cleanliness is not an issue we have. Our guys are good about that at least.

You refuse to take equipment out due to it's condition and you're looked at like you're an idiot. That's a fun feeling for doing your damn job correctly. We're also told we're complaining when we get a trailer with a door that's difficult to open or close. Not like that redshirt has to open or close that door 40 times today.

What's the rule on pre/post trip faults? What's something legally I can say I'm not leaving with?(minor issues like lights?) Where can they say I should take something out?

Thanks.

Bottom line , hook and book , check nothing slam door and leave in 15 minutes after a city driver gets his load and they will tell you are still a hunk of crap.

I smell trouble , I have been trucking for 3 million 42 years , American was better that FedEx Freight and all it's politics and righteous bull skin that goes with it . I'm sick of them protecting the young drivers , drive in the yard at 40 mph , drop super low , never lock trailer doors , never fuel , NEVER ****ING CHECK OIL , GLAD YOU ALL ENJOY THIS , Smoke is winding down , getting rid of all the ignorance there and thinking about a how much more can I take from some of the fools that do the SAME FING every day and are still confused and bring freight back after a nice day of bagging off , the sense of urgency no longer exists at Fed EX Frt. not even worth it anymore...

Yep , I'm done , bitching here is a waste of time , Harrison nor Memphis gives a crap about any of us . A Senior driver calls work to talk to our TM boss , he dodges the calls everytime like clockwork so , we stopped calling , Pretty crappy that we treat our Senior City drivers like this , buy that's okay that's why we have our own lawyers. Do what you can to take extremely good care your self , never get hurt for the sake of the company , you are ::shit:: out of luck , once they wear you out them they can just slam you with stops that you will never get on , but dumb-spach demand it happen . (comes from the idiot that never drove a truck but can tell you how to get off that 350 pound refrigerator off alone and bring up the customers driveway.

plenty of drivers , when hooking a trlr. do not walk beyond the landing gear on a pre or post trip . maybe they're afraid of the boogeyman lurking back there. its the same everywhere just a different name on the door

Long time lurker, but this is a topic that's something I wish we would really take seriously. (as a company)

My barn has almost the opposite issue. We have some drivers who never even look at the truck just hook up and go. (Most of these are 15/20+ year drivers). About half of our drivers do a full pre/post but our leadership never does anything about the problems with our equipment.

We have vans that need door straps. Wrote one up weeks ago, still hasn't been replaced. Mentioned to management, no response.

We have dollys that have light cords that are bad, glad hands that need seals replaced, mud flaps that drag the ground. Never fixed.

You refuse to take equipment out due to it's condition and you're looked at like you're an idiot. That's a fun feeling for doing your damn job correctly. We're also told we're complaining when we get a trailer with a door that's difficult to open or close. Not like that redshirt has to open or close that door 40 times today.

What's the rule on pre/post trip faults? What's something legally I can say I'm not leaving with?(minor issues like lights?) Where can they say I should take something out?

Thanks.

Ultimately it's driver discretion. Tires, lights, wipers/defrost, brakes, hours, HazMat rules, etc., are all no brainers. When making the decision, consider how a reasonable person would judge your action.

All of what you mention is believable, and absolutely unacceptable. You can do what you want, but I would call the hotline (alert line) and share ALL of these concerns. Far more effective than a simple conversation with H/R. Everything you mention is a local failure and shows total disregard for the SAFETY of all. But it is fixable. EDUCATION is equally critical for leadership...

"Information you provide using the FedEx Alert Line will be promptly transmitted to the appropriate parties, which may include members of senior management and persons from any or all of the following FedEx departments: legal, security, human resources and internal audit. When you contact the FedEx Alert Line, your report will be assigned a control number that will allow you to follow up to receive an update on the matter from FedEx, if any is available, or to contribute additional information."
http://investors.fedex.com/governance-and-citizenship/policies/fedex-alert-line/default.aspx

Last edited:
I would like to start a new discussion dedicated to Pre/Post Trip Inspections, or lack thereof....

Although this procedure is required by law and everyone is compensated for preforming these task, it seems many (if not most) just aren’t doing them!! The reasoning for preforming these task are to ensure our equipment is safe to operate on the streets and highways in hopes of keeping everyone safe so that everyone can return to their loved ones at the end of their tour.

The process of “toe tapping” the tires and “glancing” at the lights (those visible from the driver’s side only) has got to stop!! This thread isn’t designed to single out any one person, any one group, belittle, or make fun of anyone but rather to bring attention to an overwhelming problem in hopes of educating everyone...even those who actually preform pre/post trips. Again, no one is perfect and eventhough I take the time to do what I feel is a quality pre/post trip, I know I don’t catch everything either.

With everyone’s help we can address this safety issue through education and hope this leads to everyone actually preforming pre/post trips, which helps us all.
Am/Pm times are the reasoning behind lack of properly doing pre and post trip inspections. I don't care how long I take to do the walk around , if it's unsafe I ain't moving.

Sure wish I could post photos to help educate the class on the importance of pre/post trips :idunno:
The only issue I've ever had was due to the image size. New phones take too high a quality level of pix.

If you can email pic to yourself. Open "with paint" on your home computer. Click on resize, select pixels, and resize to around 1800 x 1800. Then save as a JPEG . You should be good to go.

ZkYs3fu.jpg

Hope that helps...

The only issue I've ever had was due to the image size. New phones take too high a quality level of pix.

If you can email pic to yourself. Open "with paint" on your home computer. Click on resize, select pixels, and resize to around 1800 x 1800. Then save as a JPEG . You should be good to go.

ZkYs3fu.jpg

Hope that helps...
Home computer...what’s that??