Yellow | Preshift meeting today......

Docksteward

Teamsters Local 71
Credits
The daytime shifts had a meeting today with some of District 3's finest. One question came up about RDWY laying off 15 men that they just brought back 2 weeks ago and working 6th and 7th punches 5 days a week. One of the district men broke it down like this..."we are going to layoff because of health and welfare. It's cheaper to work the regular guys 50 plus hours a week than laidoff guys. That's the contract and that's what we are going to do". Our guys were HOT!! But I tried to explain to the men that RDWY does not care that they have kept 25 to 30 men laid off for the most of the last 6 years. The regular men care because the more men on seniority the better the start times and days off. RDWY wants to have "flexability" with the laid off men and work them when they want to and have the ability to "double punch" them, when they want to. I think I put it the best to several men.........."You got the misconception some where down the line that RDWY actually cares about you or the laidoff men. You are wrong, they will do what ever they have to. We have personal feelings about our co workers and they just look at production numbers." As a union steward you can bet your sweet azz that I'm looking for anything that I can to file greivances to get those men put back on full time. The freight is here to be worked, but RDWY feels that working men 50+ hours a week on the dock is a good thing. As we all know that kind of pace gets you more attendance problems and more chances of on the job injurys. But that must not be as big as they make it out to be, health and welfare is the main concern............a contractual agreement that now is a problem. They didn't have a problem with back in 2003 when they wanted a 5 year contract. :duh: DS.

Docksteward said:
The daytime shifts had a meeting today with some of District 3's finest. One question came up about RDWY laying off 15 men that they just brought back 2 weeks ago and working 6th and 7th punches 5 days a week. One of the district men broke it down like this..."we are going to layoff because of health and welfare. It's cheaper to work the regular guys 50 plus hours a week than laidoff guys. That's the contract and that's what we are going to do". Our guys were HOT!! But I tried to explain to the men that RDWY does not care that they have kept 25 to 30 men laid off for the most of the last 6 years. The regular men care because the more men on seniority the better the start times and days off. RDWY wants to have "flexability" with the laid off men and work them when they want to and have the ability to "double punch" them, when they want to. I think I put it the best to several men.........."You got the misconception some where down the line that RDWY actually cares about you or the laidoff men. You are wrong, they will do what ever they have to. We have personal feelings about our co workers and they just look at production numbers." As a union steward you can bet your sweet azz that I'm looking for anything that I can to file greivances to get those men put back on full time. The freight is here to be worked, but RDWY feels that working men 50+ hours a week on the dock is a good thing. As we all know that kind of pace gets you more attendance problems and more chances of on the job injurys. But that must not be as big as they make it out to be, health and welfare is the main concern............a contractual agreement that now is a problem. They didn't have a problem with back in 2003 when they wanted a 5 year contract. :duh: DS.
I have been in Raleigh,NC for almost 10 years. You got it, I have been laid off every year at least 3 to 4 months out of each year. Last year, 2 of us were laid off in November and were told not to come to work until February. The same reason was given Health an Welfare! The way to solve it is in our next contract. All of us stand up for this. Change how this works. Not just the bottom men but everyone! I for one will fill out that little form stating my opinion in 2008.

christopher3573 said:
I have been in Raleigh,NC for almost 10 years. You got it, I have been laid off every year at least 3 to 4 months out of each year. Last year, 2 of us were laid off in November and were told not to come to work until February. The same reason was given Health an Welfare! The way to solve it is in our next contract. All of us stand up for this. Change how this works. Not just the bottom men but everyone! I for one will fill out that little form stating my opinion in 2008.
In my opinion something needs to be put into the contract to keep RDWY from pulling these stunts. To me it makes the union look bad to the laid off men, even though it is contractual. Most of the distress from the laid off men are directed at me and the union, and not the company that made the decision to do this to them. A "business decision" excuse only goes so far. But then again, they don't have to answer to us. Hang in there brother....It will be worth it!! DS.

We Teamsters agree to a contract. If we expect Roadway to honor everything in the contract that is benefical to us, then we should honor whats in the contract that is benefical to Roadway.
We have to take the good with the bad. Thats how a contract should work.
Unfortunately thats not always the way it is.

I would take that proposal sheet very serious and to have a ryder added to some of the language. Seems like alot of the road language needs to be added to alot of the supplements since this COO has moved road drivers to alot of EOL barns.

The HW&P is a big issue where they'll work the hell out of you and not bring in another man. Let him work all that O/T week in & out after awhile it gets old, people get fatiqued, makes happen, injuries occur and accidents start to increase. As a matter of fact the safety man is in town this week @ 657.

Bottom line is we are in the freight moving business and to make $$$$$ & keep business & to grow the business you need the extra people to keep the freight in motion for service. Not have freight sit on the yard cause you don't want to call people in to work it just to save on the HW&P. "I ALWAYS THOUGHT IT TAKES MONEY TO MAKE MONEY"

christopher3573 said:
The way to solve it is in our next contract. All of us stand up for this. Change how this works.

H&W paid for all hours worked will fix that real fast. I would love to see that in the next contract

Docksteward said:
DS You have a good point trouble is it's the greedy idiots we work with not Roadway. Nmfa states max 10 hours if properly notified 8 if not and no premium days forced. I get 3 days a week while senority fights over 12 hours plus a day. Welcome to the brotherhood. I'm setting at 27 years with Teamsters and had to come to the biggest unionized s**b outfit to try and finish my retirement. I know Big R will screw me for a dime, I can deal with that, it's the guys doing it that hurts. Gonna be a long 3 years:chairshot:

Theres the Reason why we have in the contract only 2hrs OT. Keep on working those extra over ten and in the next contract you'll be allowed, and mandatoried any amount. We all could use the extra cash now and then, but we gotta stop shooting ourselves in the foot!

CFer said:
H&W paid for all hours worked will fix that real fast. I would love to see that in the next contract
You are so right CFer! I'm sure we can make the H&W issue work in our favor. RDWY is working 6th and 7th punches four and five days a week, while continuing to lay off. We have thrown around ideas about not being able to work "premium shifts", ie..6 and 7th punches, until all men have been offered the start time. RDWY is willing to pay the extra $$ per hour because they know that every man that works it, is reducing his H&W cost to the company. DS.

Bottom line is teamsters must work with each other to make the union stonger. Refused ot and only work the hrs you get manatory for!! Problem here isn't just ot, very few men stick together and company loves it. Always me me me attitude anymore, first 4 letters in teamster, a strong team is a winning one!

we have been in overtime for sometime now you can work 7 days a week 12 14 0r even 16 hours a day even on double time amazing
what kind of money is going through this place.. they have forced ot of 2 hours usually fri sat sun and mon then they even have early starts for the night crews..We just switch the docks again kinda crazy again no rhyme or reason just someone playing with the sand box. other than that we had a special guest this week the head of Yellow HUman Resources kinda of funny that she toured our dock..No one laid off here that i know of but in full swing of hiring
drivers and dockworkers seems like they must of hired about 100 new dockman most are set for casuals but then the cream of the crop goes to call list if they want.

serta said:
Any Ohio guys going to chime in? I thought Akron had no forced ot, or 6 punches. Could be wrong though.
You guys will have to excuse me for not remembering but some of the guys that came in on the COO were forced on their off days. I just don't remember if it was 120, 251 or somewhere else. They were glad to hear of no forced.........but some work it anyways!?! DS.

Chicago Roadway said:
we have been in overtime for sometime now you can work 7 days a week 12 14 0r even 16 hours a day even on double time amazing
what kind of money is going through this place....No one laid off here that i know of but in full swing of hiring
drivers and dockworkers seems like they must of hired about 100 new dockman most are set for casuals but then the cream of the crop goes to call list if they want.
Glad to see someone hireing!! Seems that would knock down some of that OT?? Or will it? It wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit to see the casual list started back at 671. Even if we got men in layoff, they have to offer the work to them before the casuals can come in. I was casual for 2 years and worked 3 to 4 days a week, if I wanted. DS.

231 is hiring both dock and linehaul.I left there last night and counted 15 brand new tow motors behind the shop.They had no idea they were coming in,they just showed up.I heard there's plans to expand the terminal 148 doors just ain't getting it done.It could be more b.s.who knows!

We Teamsters will complain about what our fellow members are doing but the bottom line is everybody does what ever they want.
The saying goes "Money is the root of all evil"
It`s not money that is the problem, it`s jealousy. Were all so concerned with what our fellow Teamster is doing.

Docksteward said:
You guys will have to excuse me for not remembering but some of the guys that came in on the COO were forced on their off days. I just don't remember if it was 120, 251 or somewhere else. They were glad to hear of no forced.........but some work it anyways!?! DS.
At 120 you can be force 1 six punch every 30 days. But if your a 10 yr man and you choose to work one your done for the month. Now if you have less the 10 yrs and volunteer you still can be force in 30 days.:biglaugh:

Thanks Serta, we also can book off for 48hrs once a month without being letter for it. Wild card when you get manatory for 6 punch!

mud said:
We Teamsters will complain about what our fellow members are doing but the bottom line is everybody does what ever they want.
The saying goes "Money is the root of all evil"
It`s not money that is the problem, it`s jealousy. Were all so concerned with what our fellow Teamster is doing.
As long as the drivers on top of the board look out for the drivers on the bottom life will be good for all.