FedEx Freight | preventable accidents

blue4242

TB Lurker
Credits
I have had two very minor Non dot preventables in the past year, I was curious what would happen if I got another, I have been here for 7 years without any until this year.

Last edited:
I'm confused by non DOT preventable. Not DOT reportable, or non preventable or both non preventable & non DOT. Or most likely, non DOT, but preventable?

1st off, DON'T have another preventable (if these were preventable). 2nd, you should talk to your Safety guy. I'm surprised they have not talked to you. They are supposed to, if you are approaching a critical situation.

I have had two very minor Non dot preventables in the past year, I was curious what would happen if I got another, I have been here for 7 years without any until this year.
The better question is why have you been here 7 years and you don't know the company policies?

3 preventables puts you on a safety review. Usually if you have a good record that means probation for a while. If anything happens during the probation you are demoted to a part time dock worker for 3 years. If you have a dot reportable then that puts you on probation for 3 years automatically. Keep in mind a simple ticket in your personal vehicle can be your third infraction as well.

3 preventables puts you on a safety review. Usually if you have a good record that means probation for a while. If anything happens during the probation you are demoted to a part time dock worker for 3 years. If you have a dot reportable then that puts you on probation for 3 years automatically. Keep in mind a simple ticket in your personal vehicle can be your third infraction as well.
I don't believe the personal vehicle ticket would apply here.

The better question is why have you been here 7 years and you don't know the company policies?

You're the winner!
2281949-230.jpg

The better question is why are you being a jackass to the man/woman when they asked a simple question?

To answer the OP, you're in luck. You've been lucky enough to have this misfortune during the "FedEx Cares!" campaign. Guys are getting away with murder for months now. If what you say is true, a third preventable coming under a safety review would probably turn out well with prior good standing.

The better question is why are you being a jackass to the man/woman when they asked a simple question?

To answer the OP, you're in luck. You've been lucky enough to have this misfortune during the "FedEx Cares!" campaign. Guys are getting away with murder for months now. If what you say is true, a third preventable coming under a safety review would probably turn out well with prior good standing.
So the man/woman has been here for seven years, doesn't know the policies, and I'm the jackass?
Your answer was incorrect...along with the fact that no one is getting away with murder.
A third preventable in a rolling 12 month period will result in probation with prior good standing, possible termination if not in good standing.

So the man/woman has been here for seven years, doesn't know the policies, and I'm the jackass?
Your answer was incorrect...along with the fact that no one is getting away with murder.
A third preventable in a rolling 12 month period will result in probation with prior good standing, possible termination if not in good standing.
I know the rules front to back but whose to say he's not dealing with a personal crisis and made two small boo boos? No need to be so harsh when you know minimal details of the matter, one comes off like a jerk and I'm sure you're a better person than that.

As for guys getting away with murder, it's a figure of speech but holds true. Road coaches (yard snitches) used to roll incognito in jockey trucks for the primary reason of writing drivers up. That all ended at NHS back in September with the union push. Don't know how long it's going to last though. Guys coming in from other domiciles and some of our own act like pissed off teenagers tooling around around very large yard, especially the newer drivers. I hope it never comes to it but I fear it's going to take someone getting hurt before the seemingly lawless attitude at the yard gets the reigns pulled back.

I know the rules front to back but whose to say he's not dealing with a personal crisis and made two small boo boos? No need to be so harsh when you know minimal details of the matter, one comes off like a jerk and I'm sure you're a better person than that.

As for guys getting away with murder, it's a figure of speech but holds true. Road coaches (yard snitches) used to roll incognito in jockey trucks for the primary reason of writing drivers up. That all ended at NHS back in September with the union push. Don't know how long it's going to last though. Guys coming in from other domiciles and some of our own act like pissed off teenagers tooling around around very large yard, especially the newer drivers. I hope it never comes to it but I fear it's going to take someone getting hurt before the seemingly lawless attitude at the yard gets the reigns pulled back.
Minimal details are irrelevant, the policy clearly states that 3 preventable's in a rolling 12 month period will result in a critical written corrective action and the employee may be suspended. 3 in a rolling 12 months shows an alarming trend regardless of what's going on in your personal life, this isn't daycare. Yes, everyone has bad luck every now and then but three in twelve is a pretty lenient policy IMO.

As for the "road coaches" (like the term BTW), if you're doing your job the way it's expected of you then you'll having nothing to worry about. We used to have a Regional Road Driver Manager who always said, "the company doesn't fire people, people fire themselves." Do what's expected of you and you'll enjoy a very long career here...break the rules and you won't last long.

Minimal details are irrelevant, the policy clearly states that 3 preventable's in a rolling 12 month period will result in a critical written corrective action and the employee may be suspended. 3 in a rolling 12 months shows an alarming trend regardless of what's going on in your personal life, this isn't daycare. Yes, everyone has bad luck every now and then but three in twelve is a pretty lenient policy IMO.

As for the "road coaches" (like the term BTW), if you're doing your job the way it's expected of you then you'll having nothing to worry about. We used to have a Regional Road Driver Manager who always said, "the company doesn't fire people, people fire themselves." Do what's expected of you and you'll enjoy a very long career here...break the rules and you won't last long.
I agree wholeheartedly. My own father is/was a yard snitch. I think he's mad about missing out on those hours and that powertrip. lol

... Do what's expected of you and you'll enjoy a very long career here...break the rules and you won't last long.

Many get caught up in that "sense of urgency" that is hammered (purple), overlooking that it has no place behind the steering wheel. Whether that steering wheel is on a fork lift or in the truck... You know it's true, Red. Urgency is fine and dandy once the brakes are set.

Many get caught up in that "sense of urgency" that is hammered (purple), overlooking that it has no place behind the steering wheel. Whether that steering wheel is on a fork lift or in the truck... You know it's true, Red. Urgency is fine and dandy once the brakes are set.

So true swamp when have new guys with me always tell them make up time at stops not on the street. Speeding and reckless driving are two that I will not accept.

I agree, that "sense of urgency" does exsist but it's up to the employee to resist that urgency when behind the wheel. It's not that hard, just look at how many drivers are on the President's Safety Team (15 years of safe driving).
Do you not agree that 3 in 12 is a pretty lenient policy?