Programs coming to an end?

Frootloop

TB Regular
Credits
I have a close family member at Walmart that has been there for 15 years at a North Carolina DC. It was announced to all drivers at this facility several months ago that all the programs like week in week off, 5 on 5 off, 4 on 4 off and the 3/2's were ending in March of April of 2018. Is this across the board at every location ? Apparently it has a lot of guys upset and many are leaving. To me personally, having one of these programs is the only thing attractive about driving for Walmart, I don't really see where the job is all that great with all of the micro management and nitpicking that goes on at this outfit. Good luck Walmart.

I have several friends at an Illinois DC that say some of the programs you mentioned are going away, but will actually be replaced with more 5-2,5-3, and 6-3 programs that will actually give drivers more weekend time off. They say they are trying to improve equipment utilization also so they don't have assigned trucks sitting for long periods of time when a driver is off.

We just got a new mechanic from Walmart, he said they were told big changes to be anouced in a few weeks. Supposedly they were looking to out source the shops to an outside vendor. He also said there were going to cut people throughout the company( all levels) to stay competitive in the new retail market. That along with many states raising min wage they want more self check out lanes to reduce head count. Only time will tell I guess.

A 5-2, 5-3 schedule is tuff one to work long term. If you run the numbers it is a cut in pay, you have more days unpaid over the longterm.
It really hits the family hard if you have a spouse that works, with kids in school and your time at home is needed to allow your spouse to work.