Yellow | Proposal for YRCW employee's for next Contract

profjt

TB Lurker
Credits
It would be nice if in the next National contract with Yellow, USF, and Roadway, or in other terms YRCW....to include language in the Contract to be able in times of Lack of Work or slow times for one branch over the other...to allow employee's to Temporarily transfer between YRCW companies to fill gaps with Barns that are laying off to Barns that need help. Rather than going out and hiring off the street, then laying them off when work slows for the new hires.
Of course there would have to some language included to keep the Company (YRCW) from abusing it. Or using it as a form of intimidation. Also staying at the same pay scale as they were in their home terminal.

Profjt,
They have a similiar rule in the South, but it's not a temporary move. It's called Modified Seniority. If a guy gets laid off he can bump into a terminal (and I think that the move is at his own expense) and keep his seniority, but he now stays there unless he can move in another layoff or a COO. KK could explain this better.

stldude44 said:
Profjt,
They have a similiar rule in the South, but it's not a temporary move. It's called Modified Seniority. If a guy gets laid off he can bump into a terminal (and I think that the move is at his own expense) and keep his seniority, but he now stays there unless he can move in another layoff or a COO. KK could explain this better.
The employee is offered their position back at barn laid off from before they can hire.

I think what profjt is talking about dude is moving from one company to another thats under the YRC umbrella.Roadway,Yellow, etc...of course you would loose your seniority rights when doing so and working at casual rate but,it's better then being laid off!

Moparman,

Either way would be of benefit to both the company, union and workers. Yes, you may temporarily lose some seniority. But, it would help job security for the employee's and Union. And the company would benefit from not having to lay out all of the expenses related to a new hire. Plus it would do wonders for Company Moral and reputation! And then when your original barn calls back, you would go right back to your original senority date.

I agree with you 100% profjt.It's a win win both for the employee and the company.it keeps the employee working with no H&W and pension losses.And on the company side,their getting an experienced worker who they won't have to waste time and money training.

yo....

not for nothing but, the current nmfa allows preferential hiring to laid off people whose companies are signitories of the nmfa.....

read article 5...

we got about 10 former cf people at YELLOW road STL that bumped out hired guys off the street a couple years ago because of it......

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ps; i had an assistant steward and an alternate steward tell me that laid off people could not work casual for other companies a few months back when we were slow in front of about 10 drivers in a hotel lobby (i just love when union representatives aren't proactive in getting guys jobs as they would be in wheelchairs if they were in local 560).....

profjt said:
It would be nice if in the next National contract with Yellow, USF, and Roadway, or in other terms YRCW....to include language in the Contract to be able in times of Lack of Work or slow times for one branch over the other...to allow employee's to Temporarily transfer between YRCW companies to fill gaps with Barns that are laying off to Barns that need help. Rather than going out and hiring off the street, then laying them off when work slows for the new hires.
Of course there would have to some language included to keep the Company (YRCW) from abusing it. Or using it as a form of intimidation. Also staying at the same pay scale as they were in their home terminal.
Central states has a preferential casual hiring list. It is up to each local to give each Signatory Carrier, in their area, information on anybody that is on layoff status. The list should contain the employees name, telephone number, s.s. number and basic qualifications. You start just as a normal casual but you go ahead of any casual that is not laid off from a NMFA carrier. It's better than nothing, at least you're working. I think it's in the back of the book under, Casuals. An Appendix or something if I remember correctly?

How about voluntary layoffs? I've heard some senior guys say that they would take a layoff for the winter and let the junior guys keep working. I know some industries have this, but they usually have some kind of sub-pay which tides them over. Anybody have any ideas on a "voluntary layoff"?!

Here in New England you could work in any other union company while on layoff period!You just can't hold senority in more then one barn.If your on the list at Yellow and our on letter of layoff and go to work at Roadway and they what to put you on the list,then you have to resign from Yellow.Basicly you have to pick one or the other.

Moparman said:
Here in New England you could work in any other union company while on layoff period!You just can't hold senority in more then one barn.If your on the list at Yellow and our on letter of layoff and go to work at Roadway and they what to put you on the list,then you have to resign from Yellow.Basicly you have to pick one or the other.
I went through this when I got layed off from yellow. Abf linehaul manager made me promise I wouldn't go back to yellow if he hired me. I could have lied to him but I thought that might screw anybody else comeing over from yellow.?. Don't forget anybody who dose this goes down to 75% again and it sucks at .40 cpm ! Better than nothing right ,yea I know.

MIKEEEEE said:
yo....

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ps; i had an assistant steward and an alternate steward tell me that laid off people could not work casual for other companies a few months back when we were slow in front of about 10 drivers in a hotel lobby (i just love when union representatives aren't proactive in getting guys jobs as they would be in wheelchairs if they were in local 560).....

You've GOT to be kidding! Somewhow, I don't think you are...........We have NON-laid off union guys from other companies (ABF for example) working our dock on the weekends. Wonder where those stewards think these laid-off guys'll get any income???????? Non-union outfits, and maybe not come back??? Now, that'll show 'em!

jimmy g said:
You've GOT to be kidding! Somewhow, I don't think you are...........We have NON-laid off union guys from other companies (ABF for example) working our dock on the weekends. Wonder where those stewards think these laid-off guys'll get any income???????? Non-union outfits, and maybe not come back??? Now, that'll show 'em!
This had to be some kind of misunderstanding. I can't imagine that these Stewards didn't know better than that since we go through this every year.

Dude, I'm constantly amazed at how many different opinions Alternate Stewards come up with on any subject. Not just at Yellow, but every city dock in Indpls I've run into. Many were stewards in now-closed Companies and their side deals were different that any Yellow has. Actually, from my perspective, Yellow has MANY more side deals that go against the contract than any other company in Indpls history..... For the most part, only the real Steward seems to have read the actual contract, but Alternates go around spouting answers to every question without really knowing the answer. Most of the time they simply should have said "I don't know, I'll check and get back to you". It turns out many times they claim to be experts and actually make the situation worse!

I can only hope you're situation is better than mine! (I'm fine, just tired of hearing "Experts", who normally are wrong......)

So what you are saying is that after putting in 14 years at Holland and holding the bid I want and have earned, a guy from Yellow when it is slow and say has 15 years can come to Holland and work and take my seniority. You are not only nuts, but you have no right to be a union member to think something like this. All I can tell the guy from Yellow or Roadway that has 15 years or whatever and gets laid off is that he should have got his job sooner. I work for Holland, not Yellow or Roadway. Same thing for Yellow or Roadway drivers, they work for there company not mine. I guess the next thing is the UPS freight drivers will be over at UPS package knocking someone out of their seniority. Layoffs are a part of the deal we have all experienced it. For some reason the young guys we have hired at Holland recently seems like (5 years or so) don't think they have to put in their time to earn their seniority. You must have the sense of of these guys. Wait your turn, it will come.

YO RTM....

the same morons want single line seniority too....

if they ever worked in a place that had it and had to climb up multiple lists instead of one list they wouldn't shoot their mouths off so quick (especially if they were down low and were prevented from getting a bid for a couple of extra years because of crossbidding).....

at first, it aint easy, so what, just pay your dues and reap the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow when it gets your turn.....

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ps; dont forgret the summertime drivers who run in the summer then go in the yard in the winter....

Don't kid yourself that YRC has got something cooked up before the next contract to do a lot of what has been discussed on this board. Remember that it is to the company's advantage right now to run Yellow, Roadway, and USF separately, but down the road, if the economy takes a major downturn, they might propose a "merging" of the operating companies to get the synergies they need to stay profitable.

Many of us have suspected this would happen since Yellow first bought Roadway a few years back. It doesn't make sense to run half-empty trailers on the same routes every night by 3 different companies. So far the volume has been great enough to make all 3 companies profitable, but look out down the road. We must be careful about any attempts to dovetail our separate seniority lists so that YRC can shut one of us down!

Let's get away from any thought of combining these 3 companies together. If the IBT agrees with any kind of scheme like this, a lot of junior men will get laid off or be on the 10% board until they retire! Let's hope our IBT Freight Division doesn't fall for any of this b.s.!

I hate to break it to you, but if they wanted to put us all together, they could. And there is nothing the IBT can do about it. It's their companies. They own them and run them. All the IBT can do is make sure the employees are protected by the letter of the contract like to follow work, work rules, seniority etc. etc.

yo freightmaster......

please read article 5 section 2 of the contract...

then think back as to why YELLOW fed preston to the wolves instead of merging with them......

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee