ABF | PSE Drivers & Lunch Breaks

big daddy 46

TB Lurker
Credits
Just curious as to how many of you PSE drivers are REQUIRED to take a lunch break on your PSE run? Any of you that have PSE runs out of your terminal, I would appreiciate it if you could ask your PSE driver and respond back ASAP as I have a grievance filed on this topic and could use some help!!
Thank you all in advance for your help.
Have a GREAT day P.S if you could let me know the NDXP you run that would also be helpful thanks again

Lunch Breaks

FYI re: Northern New England Supplement

Article 52 (Hours of Work & Overtime)Section 5 :

"All LOCAL employess shall be allowed a meal period which shall not begin until the employee has worked 4 hours, but must begin before he has completed 5 hrs of work."

That's the only mention we have about meal breaks, don't know if that would include PSE jobs.

NDXP up here's in Orange, CT. All the PSE language is in the National agreement.

Hope this helps.

thanks lowman, our language is similar and I guess I should have said in my case I don't want to take a lunch break but am being forced when alot of drivers on my run are not.

I run PSE out of 058, and our bids are posted as including a half hour lunch. If your travel distance is long enough, you can log a half hour break during your driving time without making your miles per hour average go too high. Otherwise, you'll have to take the time. If you don't log a lunch, payroll will take it from your dock time, and that'll cost you money... I'm pretty sure since it's considered a city bid that they can force you to take a lunch break. Good luck with your grievance...

If your looking for a no lunch pay, good luck it is standard policy not to pay that at ABF at least where I am.

as per the contract and for the sake of others that have fought for thier lunch break.... you should take you lunch and breaks when its due you!!!

Thanks Harold, I guess I did not make my situation very clear..on my run there is nowhere to take a lunch..no restraunts open at that time of night..only option is to go off route 10 miles to a Country Kitchen with no truck parking but am told I can drop my trailer at a truck stop nearby and bobtail (the truckstop has no restraunt) eat then rehook and return..delaying freight big time!!

the company has a choice in this matter and it is a simple one that you can help them make in your favor.

the company wants you to get this nxdp freight back to your origin asap but if you take your breaks each way and lunch hour and it does not arrive in a timely manner for distribution then the company has a choice to make
pay you the time and a half no lunch and they will shave off at least 40 minutes on your return leg
and if they do that you can legally (contractually) recipricate by taking your last coffee break back at the origin terminal further shaving off at least an additional 10-15 minutes for a total almost an hour
question is can your TM see past his nose or be an *** about the whole thing

or better yet this goes out to the guys who run their breaks and their lunch so the freight does get back in time for distribution, noble but stupid gesture
it may be worth it if the company appreciated that effort and if they did, they would be inclined to PAY THAT LUNCH HOUR WILLINGLY as they are receiving much more for that effort

we have to use our heads if they ( the company ) choose not to use theirs
at the very least for our collective benefit
but if all the noble gestures are taken for granted, then what
you only get screwed

thanks lowman, our language is similar and I guess I should have said in my case I don't want to take a lunch break but am being forced when alot of drivers on my run are not.

are they being paid for it or are they taking it upon themselves:butt kiss:
if they are taking it upon themselves to work thru without pay then they are guilty of breaking down union standards which can get them in hot water with their locals:chairshot:

as per the contract and for the sake of others that have fought for thier lunch break.... you should take you lunch and breaks when its due you!!!

When do u eat while your driving down the road. Must b a rookie or a fool. That y things r gettin lost in r workin conditions. Seems like all these pse drivers want 2 ruin it all.

yellow requires all pse drivers running cincinnati to take half hour lunch, unpaid, we tried taking two 20min breaks instead and got away with it for about 2 years. two tens and half hour unpaid or two twenties paid was a no brainer for me but didn't last.

Please Help!!

Ok, i am not a truckdriver, but my boyfriend is and i have a really dumb question...does anyone know what i can do for his lunches? he is not an over the road driver, he is home everynight but hes been working there for 2 years and for 2 years has had the same thing for lunch...sandwhiches, and he is sick of it, since he is a local driver he doesnt have a lot of space in his truck so we cant have a fridge or microwave, and yeah he could always stop at a marathon or speedway or something, but when hes at work he works his @$$ off so the less stopping the better, sandwhiches always worked cuz there was no preperation on his end and he could eat it with one hand, but we need something new. if anyone has any ideas i would really appreciate it, and i am sorry for taking up your time, i have no idea how to get back into this forum cuz i found it on accident, so please email responses to babygirl20304 @ hotmail.com thanks so much for taking time out of your day to help

Ok, i am not a truckdriver, but my boyfriend is and i have a really dumb question...does anyone know what i can do for his lunches? he is not an over the road driver, he is home everynight but hes been working there for 2 years and for 2 years has had the same thing for lunch...sandwhiches, and he is sick of it, since he is a local driver he doesnt have a lot of space in his truck so we cant have a fridge or microwave, and yeah he could always stop at a marathon or speedway or something, but when hes at work he works his @$$ off so the less stopping the better, sandwhiches always worked cuz there was no preperation on his end and he could eat it with one hand, but we need something new. if anyone has any ideas i would really appreciate it, and i am sorry for taking up your time, i have no idea how to get back into this forum cuz i found it on accident, so please email responses to babygirl20304 @ hotmail.com thanks so much for taking time out of your day to help
:hysterical: Nice try mrs. management type!! Email me!! well thats original anyway.

If I told my wife I was sick of her packed lunches, she'd give me a knuckle sammich for sure!
I'd never see another packed lunch after that. It would be those 4 day old hotdogs from the gas station or a can of spam in a bag from there on out.